Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

My P51 had its maiden flight today, carried out by a clubmate who is a much more experienced pilot than me.  All went well and the model is still in one piece!  Jeff, the pilot's, comments were:

- It was a bit over-propped (I'd used a 15 X 10 two-blade). He felt it needed a bit less pitch. 

- A lot of up-elevator trim was needed,  probably because the CG was quite forward. No aileron trim needed.

- It needed more aileron throw (it was set at 75% of the 15mm throw recommended in the instructions). 

- It was a beautiful flyer and easy to land.

Next flight will be with a 16 X 8 prop and more aileron throw.  Ultimately the 14 X 8 four-blader will be the one.

It looked really good in the air I must say.  I look forward to many enjoyable flights! 

• Like 4

Tim , 

You obviously did a great Job . I am also a massive fan of the "Princess Elizabeth " P51B version . I flew mine for many years in fourstroke form and it really was my "go to " model .  I lost it in a crop field eventually , but the farmer found it two months later . 

Paul Johnson has it now and gradually easing it back to life . 

A nice Mustang is always a great model . They are just great all rounders . 

I guess youve learned a little along the way too ? Care to let us know what you would do differently if you had to do it again ?

Thanks Richard.  Much credit to you though for producing a very good kit.

I've learned a heck of a lot during the build of this model.  It's my third kit build and the first scale build.  If I was starting the kit again the main thing I would do differently is to not use film covering.  It's great for a quick finish but it makes subsequent detailing and weathering a bit more difficult.  I suspect it doesn't add strength as much as other covering materials.  It also imparts too much of a shine for a warbird - just my opinion of course!

As for the actual construction I think I would try to think more before doing - there were a number of times when I jumped in and did things which I later realised I could have done better.  But, overall, very pleased.  I must say that this thread and Paul Johnson's tireless help was indispensable and, for me anyway, nigh on essential!

Edited by Tim Kearsley
Misspelled Paul's surname!
  • Like 4

I'm glad we have these threads . Let me tell you why . Generally speaking I can be quite passionately interested in a particular full size subject , usually from WW2 . I will probably consume every piece of information I can acquire . Lets , face it , to create a prototype from scratch is extremely time consuming , so I need to have a real fascination in order to carry me through . 

Now this can lead to a slight problem , of which I was reminded , when I saw Tim's "Princess Elizabeth " which so reminded me of my own cherished original . Because we builders must have this real passion and also have a very firm vision on how the model should be finished and detailed , to make it look exactly the way we want it . (Rather like the image of a character from a book , rather than the version dished up by the person that cast for the film version ) , we then end up not wanting to let go of a model . 

Consequently , I have models that have been repaired many times , because they came from inside my head and cannot easily be improved on in terms of my taste and desire . 

All of us on these build threads do this to a large degree .

Now , this is not a criticism on anyone else , especially as we are the minority , but people who  dont build traditionally , tend to grab things that go by to feed their hobby and understandably , don't immerse themselves in the model or its background .

I have noticed this in many clubs and always feel there is something missing . As the majority of model flyers are purely Artf flyers , they must accept what is offered to them and dont seem to even consider altering the product or trying to tailor it to their own version . This may simply be habit , and of course , the excitement of "what is just round the corner ?"

Perhaps I have not explained the observation very well , and I certainly dont mean to run down ARFURS , but I do feel that they are missing something that we builders enjoy , but cannot quantify . 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

I'm glad we have these threads . Let me tell you why . Generally speaking I can be quite passionately interested in a particular full size subject , usually from WW2 . I will probably consume every piece of information I can acquire . Lets , face it , to create a prototype from scratch is extremely time consuming , so I need to have a real fascination in order to carry me through . 

Now this can lead to a slight problem , of which I was reminded , when I saw Tim's "Princess Elizabeth " which so reminded me of my own cherished original . Because we builders must have this real passion and also have a very firm vision on how the model should be finished and detailed , to make it look exactly the way we want it . (Rather like the image of a character from a book , rather than the version dished up by the person that cast for the film version ) , we then end up not wanting to let go of a model . 

Consequently , I have models that have been repaired many times , because they came from inside my head and cannot easily be improved on in terms of my taste and desire . 

All of us on these build threads do this to a large degree .

Now , this is not a criticism on anyone else , especially as we are the minority , but people who  dont build traditionally , tend to grab things that go by to feed their hobby and understandably , don't immerse themselves in the model or its background .

I have noticed this in many clubs and always feel there is something missing . As the majority of model flyers are purely Artf flyers , they must accept what is offered to them and dont seem to even consider altering the product or trying to tailor it to their own version . This may simply be habit , and of course , the excitement of "what is just round the corner ?"

Perhaps I have not explained the observation very well , and I certainly dont mean to run down ARFURS , but I do feel that they are missing something that we builders enjoy , but cannot quantify . 

I totally get it Richard. I have you to blame for my current obsession with obscure and unlikely subjects. It adds so many layers to our beloved hobby. I now find that I want to find a subject and learn about the whys and wherefores in order to ignite that inner spark. And it does indeed become just the start of a long relationship with a model. Mine shall remain in service until something unrepairable occurs...

I feel the main ingredient missing from those who don't build is imagination, by this I mean visualising the finished subject, thinking about how the real aircraft would have been and used. The less than perfect paint job, missing paint sandblasted away, oil and dirt stains. Tired worn out pilots sliding off the wing.

With ARTF you are presented with the manufacturers product as is, almost a disappointing object to the imagination, not as what we visualised in our minds eye.

It's that imagination that keeps builders trying to achieve what we desire and not what is given to us in the form of an item from a mould with a half hearted minimal coat of paint and the same as every other Joe on the flight line.

Oh and Graham ... there's no such thing as a unrepairable model...

Just ask Richard about 'Triggers broom'

It's since flown Paul. I omitted to re-do the panel lines on the repaired bit, but it looks suitably battle weary now.

I have one of Richard's Mustangs. I had to give up on the wings, but the fuselage is solid enough. I also have an R Wills carrier bag and it shall be raided for the remaining parts. We have the technology, we shall rebuild...

This is the J-22 after it's (successful) maiden.

J22 after maiden.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tim Kearsley said:

My P51 had its maiden flight today, carried out by a clubmate who is a much more experienced pilot than me.  All went well and the model is still in one piece!  Jeff, the pilot's, comments were:

- It was a bit over-propped (I'd used a 15 X 10 two-blade). He felt it needed a bit less pitch. 

- A lot of up-elevator trim was needed,  probably because the CG was quite forward. No aileron trim needed.

- It needed more aileron throw (it was set at 75% of the 15mm throw recommended in the instructions). 

- It was a beautiful flyer and easy to land.

Next flight will be with a 16 X 8 prop and more aileron throw.  Ultimately the 14 X 8 four-blader will be the one.

It looked really good in the air I must say.  I look forward to many enjoyable flights! 

Well done Tim. Congratulations on a successful first flight, first of many I hope. Thanks for passing on the experience for those of us who have yet to get to that stage. 

On 02/11/2021 at 22:09, Paul Johnson 4 said:

I feel the main ingredient missing from those who don't build is imagination, by this I mean visualising the finished subject, thinking about how the real aircraft would have been and used. The less than perfect paint job, missing paint sandblasted away, oil and dirt stains. Tired worn out pilots sliding off the wing.

With ARTF you are presented with the manufacturers product as is, almost a disappointing object to the imagination, not as what we visualised in our minds eye.

It's that imagination that keeps builders trying to achieve what we desire and not what is given to us in the form of an item from a mould with a half hearted minimal coat of paint and the same as every other Joe on the flight line.

Undoubtedly true for a scale model, but similar satisfaction can be gained from sport models build from kits or scratch........... albeit in a different way ?

Edited by GrumpyGnome
tyoo

There are modellers who enjoy building, there are modellers who enjoy finishing and there are those who enjoy flying. None are mutually exclusive so it boils down to what you, as an individual likes. Let’s face it a scale ARTF flown in a true scale like manner looks far better (in the air) than a beautifully finished scratch built equivalent flown at warp factor 10 doing 3D aerobatics. 

• Like 3

That's the great thing about this fantastic hobby - it's big enough to accommodate all the different aspects.  I've really enjoyed this build and I understand now the people who say that you get huge satisfaction from seeing something you've spent quite a few hours on take to the air and complete a successful flight. 

I've put my name down with Richard now for one of his upcoming production run of Spitfires.  I can't wait....

• Like 2