Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

• 2 weeks later...

Finally making progress again on the P51. 

I have finished the basic paint work for Ferocious Frankie. I found the painting to be the hardest part of the build! My choice of paint probably made things more difficult than necessary. Here is the detail:

Covering -Solartex white (seconds) with Halfords car paint grey primer 

Aluminium finish - Halfords acrylic car spray paint Aluminium Silver

Olive drab - Express paints RAL 6022 semi-gloss spray 

Yellow - Guild Materials Chroma Gloss Yellow Enamel grey 

I found paint adhesion between the Halfords grey primer and the Guild yellow spray was rather poor. I had to re-do the painting after rubbing down. Also the guild yellow did not cover well at all and needed several spray coats to deepen the colour. The Aluminium Silver was difficult to get a consistent finish and needed several coats. The Olive Drab went on well.

I think the lesson here is to pick a paint type and stick to it for all the colours. Mixing types contributed to my issues. Anyhow, its done and the next steps are add the markings, complete the controls and the electrics. Then wait for spring to fly!!

I have really enjoyed the build and learned a lot for the next one. Richard has gifted us a great kit which is a joy to build and from all reports a dream to fly!  Thanks Richard.

CC6DF9E9-0658-4743-999E-581D2E15E399.jpeg

C7AAB7CC-895F-46A1-984C-4883F31492AB.jpeg

• Like 2

Gordon ,  Nice job . Another P51 "rolls out of the factory ".

I agree with you about the paint being compatible . Some brands of paint simply dont stick well to another . I did use a lot of Halfords stuff , but although very good , it is expensive . Humbrol sprays are also very pricey and limited choice in spray can form . 

For electric models , Ive started using a lot of emulsion from B and Q. 

Ron has also had good results with a certain brand of aerosols . 

I did have two ideas which both went wrong , which I really wouldnt recommend.

1) I painted a P38 Lightning in primer , then Chrome wheel spray , with the idea to paint a war like top coat and then sand off parts to make it look worn out . It looked great .....initially . Then big flakes of top coat flaked off the chrome . It was way too shiney .

2) Next "Bright idea " . Covered a Spitfire in chrome wrapping paper from Asda. Then painted camouflage over the top . 

Turns out that the silver paper is actually laminated from tissue on one side and chrome skin on the other . Once any liquid (like the camo paint) goes on top , the silver paper come apart . The chrome peels off and the plane looks like its covered in bits of bog roll .

For a long time , stuck to a format . Halfords primers  -grey -black -white .  then Humbrol enamel on top . 

Never had a problem with that . But dont feel tempted to revisit and add say, white wing tips with the Halfords spray over the Humbrol paint . It will Pickle !       So - Halfords first - Humbrol last . 

Ron ? Your methods?

Hi, 

Just to show where I am up to. 

Wiggly bits are covered. Most of the back is fully sheeted. Intake is shaped (ish). 

Next big job is wing fairing.

Then it's a case of cover and assembly.

I have taken to creating a job list and trying to tick off a couple a week when time is avalibility, I have found it progresses the build and  I spend less time thinking and more time doing.   

I think I am trying to create something perfect which is not at my current skill level. But saying that I am really happy so far. 

Any comments and advise welcome. 

20211117_214744.jpg

20211117_214611.jpg

20211117_214604.jpg

• Like 2

Jon,

I guess very few of us are Sultans of Scale modelling. My model close up shows lots of areas which could be better and with this recent experience, it would be better on a second try. When it is in flight, you wont see any of the minute detail, only the excellent representation of Richard's fine model. Keep going, you are doing very well.

Gordon

P.S thanks guys for your kind comments on my P51. Just fitting the rudder and elevator controls then on to the wiring before I add the decals, etc. Still to weigh it which will be an key piece of data. I expect it is a bit heavy. We'll see!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After having a clubmate take the maiden flight of my P51B a couple of weeks ago, I had two excellent flights today myself, in almost calm, sunny but cold conditions.  I was using a 16 X 8 two-blade prop and 4S, 3300mAh LiPo and performance was nice and scale.  It is a really very nice model to fly.  Nice, slow rolls and big pops - fantastic!  Overall, very pleased. Next time I'll be using the 14 X 8 4-blade prop.

Hi all, 

A quick question and some advise needed.  From the team. 

Does anybody have any good photos of the wing fairings, I have searched the forum but cannot find one so I know the shape I am trying to replicate. 

Also on the wing should I cover before attaching the flaps and ailerons, I am decided on what would be best / easier. 

Thanks 

Jon

Hi Jon, 

if you google P51 mustang images there is a lot showing the fillets from all angles.

I would leave the ailerons off while you cover the wing I can't remember about the flaps I seem to think they were not easily removed once assembled into the wing. Same applies to the rudder and elevators cover then fit.

• Thanks 1