Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Advert

Has anyone got any pics of how Glyn’s splendid seat actually fits into the cockpit? In order to get the seat and pilot into a position where the canopy (P51d version in my case) can fit, and the pilot stands a chance of seeing the instrument panel, it seems that the horizontal crutch will need to be cut away to drop the seat down somewhat - either that or take a hacksaw to the seat, which I’m loath to do.

TIA

Trevor

Thanks Phil (and Paul!). It looks like Paul might have cut the seat down a bit. Meanwhile, my P51d has had its final naked photoshoot:

IMG_3806.thumb.JPG.82f187ed29d33c85ef32a1c58a2274ff.JPG

IMG_3809.thumb.JPG.52b1d0a687d8d1ce2844c73f039e96fb.JPG

The cockpit and gear doors still need some work, then I'm at the stage sometimes quaintly known as 'preparing the airframe for covering' which I think translates as "get out the filler and try to make good all the mistakes"!

• Like 6

On 14/05/2021 at 16:33, alan p said:

Paul

Sorry to trouble you again connectors on the motor are 3.5, a 70amp ESC are 4mm which are the prefered ones to change.

Beginning to wish I stuck with i/c?

Don't touch the motor connectors!

The wires from the motor which go into the connectors are covered in a insulating varnish which you will not be able to fully remove if you cut the connectors off. You could de-solder and resolder but I would just change the ESC ones as Trevor said.

Looking great as usual Trevor, can't wait to see it. My WR Spitfire is now at the point of painting - my first attempt with airbrushing so it should be interesting.....

Eric, again thanks.  I keep forgetting to use that as a reference. 

Couple of quick ones. 

With the side skins what is the advantage of joining them all together as Paul did or doing it as Richard did in the instructions and leave the tail bit  until later.  

Also from what I can see some B's have a rounded back some a square.  What's the thoughts of the B builders on what shape and how to achieve it. 

Thanks 

Jon

Hi Jon,

l did it as Paul suggests. It has the advantage that you can lay the parts flat and true on the building board before gluing them together.

The rear fuselage is very flexible without the fuselage sides fitted so having the sides complete for assembly makes it easier to true up the fuselage exactly before clamping it up. 
I am doing a D model so can’t help you on the B model profile. 

Good luck 

• Like 1

A question if I may on paper covering. I have applied grease proof paper to my Sparrowhawk fuse.  Went on well looks good.  As per Richard's instructions I should now use non shrinking dope. I can get dope but not non-shrinking. Any alternative suggestions please. Thanks Graeme

Graeme, i use the same, normal shrinking dope, add some banana oil with it  , this take out/ reduces the shrinking effect, then thin down abit with cellulose thinners, job done.

Not many people are aware off this , method as used by Brian Taylor.?

• Like 1

Thank you all. Gee, I don't know banana oil or where to get it. Sanding sealer from my local hardware store is turps based. Not too sure about that. They didn't have water based. Might try online. A friend suggested I try Deluxe EZE coat. However, I'll give Paul's suggestion a try first.

Again a big thank you to everyone. This is a terrific forum. Ask and you receive. Graeme