Irvine 39 2stroke.

Don't know the engine personally but if you look in the exhaust port you should be able to see if it has a piston ring or not.

No ring and it will be ABC.

If you Google Irvine 39 engine it brings up various results which may answer your queries.

Edited By John Wagg on 23/05/2020 18:43:45

Is a slightly bigger bore than a 40, with a shorter stroke, making it more powerful than a 40 at high revs.

Impeccable running with correct plumbing but they do like to leak from the front bearing BUT

it is my opinion that those leaks developed with out of balanced props as I never had an Irvine leak

I have couple of these, they are the most optimised engines I've ever seen. I believe the .39 started out life as a .25 or .28 then a .36 and finally a .39. Bored out and tweaked, it's considerably smaller and lighter than the cooking .40. The cylinder head bolts just graze the liner so there is almost negative clearance you can see the thread break through the inside crankcase. For power to weight these were just the thing for funfly contests in the 90s and early 2000s.

A.

Superb motors.

Small rear bearing. 13mm crank. Rumour has it they are not so happy with extended high rpm. Will do 11k for ever though so as sport motors they are golden.

.36 was good on an apc 10x7. This even more so. Add a mini pipe for rocket performance. Maybe on 10x8. Especially in a quick thing like the bullet.

Heli version was ringed I think. There was definitely a ringed .36.

The OS manufactured Irvines are quite easy to spot because they have OS branded carbs. I have an original Irvine .53 and an OS Irvine .53 and the major parts are not interchangeable so they must have redesigned them for cost reasons. As far as I know, OS never made the .72 or a .39. Then they disappeared off the scene altogether as I guess they were competing too well with OS's own product. It makes you wonder why OS agreed to make Irvines in the first place.

A.

Posted by Andy Stephenson on 24/05/2020 11:04:39:

The OS manufactured Irvines are quite easy to spot because they have OS branded carbs. I have an original Irvine .53 and an OS Irvine .53 and the major parts are not interchangeable so they must have redesigned them for cost reasons. As far as I know, OS never made the .72 or a .39. Then they disappeared off the scene altogether as I guess they were competing too well with OS's own product. It makes you wonder why OS agreed to make Irvines in the first place.

A.

It does make you wonder why OS made some late Irvine engines. I never owned one myself so I never noticed the carb branding.

Except for a couple of perfectly satisfactory (but rattly-sounding at tickover) RCV58 CD's I purchased when they were actually made in the UK I stick to OS as some of the Chinese copies are complete rubbish. EG - I had two 'well known' ones where the carbs were so leaky air still got in when the throttle was fully closed and you could not cut the engine.

It's a shame that the choice of 'good' engines has decreased so much. And it started before electrics became so popular so it's not entirely due to that..