HK Paramotor

Just took the plunge and ordered one of these for calm summer evenings and early mornings; thought it looked just the ticket for some low stress local flying with minimal noise. Anyone try one? Launching is apparently tricky, but once you’ve got the hang of that they seem to fly great...

HK promo video
Touch and goes!

Edited By MattyB on 24/05/2020 22:46:49

Looks interesting but watch for those lines, it looks like sa tangle is only a slip away When I was a child I was very keen on puppetry, particularly marionettes, and keeping the strings in order was prime. The usual way was to twist them all together, not sure if that would work here.

Geoff

Posted by john stones 1 on 24/05/2020 22:43:53:

Seen a few Matty, great fun, as you say getting the launch method of is key to it, not sure it's difficult, but it's different, once flying seem pretty straightforwards, but again different.

Yeah, I think you are right - being methodical about prep and prepared to abort if the canopy doesn’t rise dead straight and I think it should be fine. I also have some ideas for a trick setup on my Taranis which should make launches easier too...

Hi Matty, I bought one a while back and have had a few short flights most of which have been less than successful! Now repaired and awaiting for me to get my act together for another go. There is a French company on You tube that has some good videos called Opale Paramotors, have included one below. It has English subtitles and is for just the backpack type but the launch method is the same. I seemed to have more sucess with the ROG launch although you have to be quick to throttle back once it lifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-71S14kg7aU&t=110s

Yeah, I have seen the Opale models before but they are in a completely different league price wise; I only wanted to dabble in a paramotor, not remortgage the house!

Ps - This guy seems to have the launch sorted; the key seems to be to try and move the arm right up and over, almost swinging the canopy up before releasing with part throttle. The common link between the unsuccessful launches I’ve seen on YouTube seems to be people trying to “drag” the canopy into the air like a kite which doesn’t seem to work consistently... 😂 (from 1m10 onwards)

Edited By MattyB on 25/05/2020 19:39:30

Hi Matty, I bought one last year and there is certainly a technique to launching. The main thing is to get the canopy 'inflated' which can be achieved with a sharp tug on the lines but watch out for throttle control as over enthusiastic use can lead to some 'interesting' things happening. Not my everyday use model but good for a laugh and relaxing flying.

Quick update; it arrived yesterday and seems well made for the money, though apparently the landing gear often takes a battering until you get used to the launching. I can see that a lot of care is needed with the brakes and riser configuration too, but thankfully there are lots of good videos on the 'Tube...

One recurring theme amongst novice paramotor pilots in the vides seems to be they pull on the elevator automatically to make the nose rise. Unfortunately on a paramotor that engages the brakes giving the opposite effect!

To avoid this I am working on a trick setup for my Taranis that will prevent actuation of the brakes at launch. It will also put the throttle on the LH slider and the steering on the rudder stick (I am a mode 1 pilot launching right handed so everything important needs to be on my left hand initially). For entertainment value(!) I am also setting a flight mode where it can be controlled like a powered fixed wing glider (up elevator will increase throttle, down kill the motor, brakes on the throttle stick a la crow brakes). Should be interesting! I will probably document and publish my setup on RCSettings once it is flight tested.

Edited By MattyB on 29/05/2020 14:41:34

I have one.

Never been able to get anything more than a 30 second flight out of it.

A flying buddy came to the field Wednesday and showed me how it should be done!!!

So I dusted mine off, plugged in the LiPo and one of the servo`s packed up. Grrr

Waiting on new servo`s and will try again.

I did capture some poor footage and will post it once I have processed it.

Kev

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 29/05/2020 19:57:27:

I have one.

Never been able to get anything more than a 30 second flight out of it.

A flying buddy came to the field Wednesday and showed me how it should be done!!!

So I dusted mine off, plugged in the LiPo and one of the servo`s packed up. Grrr

Waiting on new servo`s and will try again.

I have now read the RCGroups thread from front to back, and a couple of things that might help...

• Having the brake lines slightly slacker (5-10mm) will slow the steering response and might help with canopy inflation at launch.
  • The launch is apparently best done with the gondola as low to the ground as possible pointing vertically up. Set 25-40% throttle, then give a sharpish tug to inflate the canopy, then bring your arm up and over your head before giving a gentle push once it’s over your head. Don’t throttle up too quick, or the torque effect might catch you out and the gondola may start to swing a lot.
  • Don’t be afraid to abort if it doesn’t kite up straight over your head, better that than throw at a weird angle.

Paramotor gondolaA quick update... The gondola is pretty much together bar some Velcro for the RX. Quality seems pretty good for the money, though the servos are not the best I've seen from an accuracy perspective (easy to see with such huge arms).

I just need to sort out the sail (brake line lengths etc); paramotors are apparently pretty pernickety on sail setup so I will be taking my time to be super accurate. I am in no rush anyway given the wind outside, and I also need to swap out a worn out cut switch on my TX. I've also just realised the batteries were borrowed by my Dad before lockdown for another model and haven't come back yet!

PS - The TX setup was quite fun to do; I have something innovative that I think may make it easier for newcomers to paramotors to fly, but the proof will be in the pudding! Even a basic Paramotor setup is way easier in OpenTX though; I'd have really struggled to create a decent setup on a canned mixer based system like Futaba or Spektrum.

Edited By MattyB on 05/06/2020 12:58:53

I have tried all ways on the launch. Even tried ROG, all with little success.

Even tried it like a dart throw! Joke, just how the camera caught me!

or1.jpg

kf3.jpg

It does fly, but in my hands not for long!
or7.jpg

kf8.jpg

I also found the reason for the servo failure.

Bad.dscf0066[1].jpg

Good.dscf0067[1].jpg

Any further attempts will now have to wait for a weekend with some good weather.

Back to work Monday. 11 weeks phew.

Interesting - what is your AUW Kevin? With only a single 3S 5000 a lot of people are saying it comes under the minimum 1600g, and it flies better at ~2kg anyway. Maybe add a bit of ballast behind the ESC is in order to ensure the trike lifts off the ground nose first during ROGs?

Also your first picture also shows a lot of bow in the brake lines which might be causing issues, though it's also clear the tips aren't inflated properly so that launch was probably never a goer. Are the brake lines bang on stock at 649mm? Might be worth a re-measure... I am going to use this technique where buttons are used instead of knots to make adjustment easier at the field.

Edited By MattyB on 05/06/2020 13:54:17

Fair enough, looks like you are doing everything right in terms of setup. I'm not normally nervous of maiden flights, but I have to admit this model has me slightly spooked - it seems about 50:50 online between those who can successfully launch it and love it, and those who struggle and feel like throwing it iin the bin! I have resolved to be super patient, do lots of practise kites in the garden and not attempt a flight until til it is a zero wind day. Could be 2021 then...

teeth 2

Edited By MattyB on 05/06/2020 15:51:06

• 2 weeks later...

Finished setting this up last night and got the batteries back from my Dad over the w/e, so hope to maiden this week. AUW with 2x 3s 3700 Zippys in parallel is ~1800g, so perfect for a zero wind maiden. I also have a 3S 5000 Zippy on the way from HK that with one of the 3700s should get me to up to nearly 2kg for windier conditions. I won't be maidening it in anything more than 3mph though.

Am going to try "kiting" the sail in the garden tonight to get a feel for the hand launch!

Edited By MattyB on 15/06/2020 15:21:17

Get her done Steve, it is only ~2hrs from box to RTF - measuring and setting the brake lines is the only tricky job (provided you are fairly confident with using curves and offsets in your TX). Doing another one would probably only take an hour, there's so little to do.

I will try and get a video, but it won't be the maiden - I'm not that confident of the launch, and there are already plenty of Greek tragedy style launches on the 'Tube already... teeth 2

Edited By MattyB on 15/06/2020 17:36:17

She flies! I maidened last night in flat calm conditions - what a fun machine! Had a couple of false starts getting the launch technique, then went great for a total of about 15 mins of flight; the 3S 3700 I was using was still at 3.85V/cell, so duration will not be an issue. Other than needing lots of right trim it flew perfectly on the stock brake lengths. My "plane" setup mode needs some refining of the throttle and brake curves but actually worked very well for a first go, though I flew it mostly in the traditional paramotor controls flight mode to get a feel for that. Love it!

Certainly I can see why the launch has proved problematic to many; it took a few tries, but once I had the knack I could launch successfully every time, at least in zero wind conditions. The key seems to be very low throttle (I used about 30% in the end) and being very patient; I found it took quite a bit of time for the canopy to get fully inflated and get and right over my head before giving it a gentle push. Trying to throw it too early from behind you is definitely not the technique!

Edited By MattyB on 17/06/2020 10:13:32

• 2 weeks later...

OK, starting to get grumpy now... Ever since maidening my paramotor there have been zero weather windows to fly it again! I immediately refined my setup ready for another go, but the wind hasn't dropped below about 10mph for nearly 2 weeks. Infuriating! Come on summer, get your act together...