VQ models

John  Tee

I have just finished a VQ Spacewalker model. Does anyone know what the covering used is. I spilt a bit of two part resin on the wing and on wiping it away with a bit of spirit some of the colour came away. Not a disaster and the instructions do say not to use anything but meths. Also I used some cyano in the cowl fixing screw holes and again the colour came away when I wiped away the excess. It is a sticky backed material as used on most ARTF type models. It looks like normal Covering material but the trim seems to be painted on not that it is apparent and I am wondering if it is fuelproof. It doesn't seem to have a plastic surface over the colouring.

John

Advert

This covering goes hard with time and shatters easily after maybe just a year.

It is plastic so offers some fuel proofing but high nitro does fade it.

Cellulose thinners does take the printed colour off so don't wipe over with solvents.

This is not just VQ but some Seagull models are just the same.

Thanks for your replies. I thought it should be fuel proof as the model has fittings for both power systems . I won't be using high nitro so not a problem. With my luck the fact that it goes brittle quickly should not cause me much worry.

John

I've have/had four VQ models and I'm very pleased with the general quality and flying. The only (fairly minor) problem is this covering...

I think it's justified for scale models (e.g. Hurricane), where the printing appears to be a cost-effective way of reproducing camoulage and other markings, etc. The problem, for me, is that the same system is applied to sport models (Stick & Maracana), which would be infinitely better covered in normal film.

Another point is that the covering appears to be the reverse of heat-shrink. It goes slack when heated, and retightens when it cools off.

Yes, it's important to keep the covering out of direct sunlight as it expands over open areas and crinkles to the point where it can adversely effect flight performance. Dark colours are naturally effected more than lighter ones.The only cure is to recover the open areas. The sticky backed covering seems OK when attached to solid surfaces.