Mini flight stabilisers

Ron Gray

A few days ago I bought the HK Tempest, 800mm ws foam warbird which is fitted with an ORX 6 axis stab.

fullsizeoutput_155c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_155d.jpeg

This has 2 settings, beginner and expert and tbh it is excellent. Hand launching in beginner mode sees the 'plane fly out dead level no dramas and switching to expert mode allows full aerobatics to be carried out. I've been so impressed with this stabilizer that I wanted to buy one for use in another 'plane but for the life of me I cannot find it anywhere. So if you know or have seen one of these please let me know.

fullsizeoutput_1563.jpeg

The other good thing about this stab is that it is SBus ready so if you have an RX with SBus then it is simply a one connection job, but you can still connect up a non SBus RX.

Searching for this stab I came across another mini but this time from Radio Link

radio link.jpg

Looks like really good value for money and this one has 5 different flight modes (do I need 5???) but as far as I can see only has SBus input but that does mean that it acts as an SBus decoder as well. anyone out there had first hand experience of the Radio Link stab before I dive in and buy some?

Edited By Ron Gray on 27/06/2020 07:51:00

I know what you mean about setting the CC3D up Steve, but a great bit of kit. The thing that attracted me to these was the simplicity of them, no setup required, just PNP. The downside is that the rates on the ORX stab aren’t adjustable (well I don’t think they are - no instructions for it) and not too sure about the Radio Link one. The Tempest does fly really well but I would just like to tweak the ORX a little bit and you can’t switch it off from the TX but you can with the Radio Link one.

It has been my job to test these units in flight these past couple of years for a writer in the USA.

The units from the past to the makes mentioned here have been quite remarkable.

For initial tests avoid your instincts to stick one in a 1lb model as these units really do show their worth inside

models 5 - 6 lb upwards

Edited By Denis Watkins on 27/06/2020 13:51:56

This thread made we wonder what a 6 axis flight stabiliser is? (Given that I am in a 3D world of yaw, pitch, and roll).

I discover it is the combination of a 3 axis gyroscope and 3D accelerometer.

I think this means the gyro is detecting movement of the aircraft relative to itself and the accelerometer is detecting orientation relative to the earth.

If that is wrong please tell me.

Posted by Martin_K on 27/06/2020 16:15:22:

This thread made we wonder what a 6 axis flight stabiliser is? (Given that I am in a 3D world of yaw, pitch, and roll).

I discover it is the combination of a 3 axis gyroscope and 3D accelerometer.

I think this means the gyro is detecting movement of the aircraft relative to itself and the accelerometer is detecting orientation relative to the earth.

If that is wrong please tell me.

You are not far off Martin, a 6 axis uses accelerometer chip whereby if you get in a mess, you can just let the sticks

go and the model will right itself if it has enough height and you can also select SAFE with a switch it set up that way.

No such luxury with 3 axis stabilisation, where you get 3axis levelling assist in windy conditions and never let go of

The sticks, but can always switch the stabilizer off for aerobatics

Quite a while ago I bought a couple of the Orange stabs but they came with super sensitive pots and were useless. Shortly afterwards they changed these to presumably logarithmic ones. I have an ORX Rx/stab which works but I did not persevere with it, also a few CC3D ones in quads which are now no good to me since our landlord banned them but have not really thought about trying one on a fixed wing. You have rekindled my interest because I now have lots of small electric models which could probably do with stabs. I fancy that BG unit so may try ordering a couple at that price.

@Denis - most stabs give you an AUX to control ON/OFF but it isn't mentioned in the brief destructions which are this:

Channel input: • PWM input: Here is the channel assignment and shown as follows. Ch 1. Aileron, Ch 2.Elevator, Ch 3 Throttle, Ch 4 Rudder and Ch 5 Flight mode (A 2 position or a 3 position switch should be assigned for flight mode selection) • PPM input: Plug the flight mode/SBUS/PPM channel input plug into your receiver which supports PPM out. Here is the ch assignment and shown as follows. 1. Aileron, Ch 2. Elevator, Ch 3 Throttle and Ch 4 Rudder. Ch 5 (A 2 position or a 3 position switch for flight mode selection) • SBUS input: Plug the Flight mode/SBUS/PPM channel input plug into a receiver which supports SBUS.

@Gonzo - I use the ZOHD gear and it's really good but what I like about the ORX and the Radio Link is the simplicity, oh yeah and cheapness!

Edited By Ron Gray on 27/06/2020 20:24:33

Edited By Ron Gray on 27/06/2020 20:25:13

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff C, amazingly my two arrived today, still awaiting a HK order after over three months.

The usual Chinglese to decipher. I now need to figure out how to assign the three position flight mode switch and a channel with a slider on a DSX9. I really like these Tx`s but flight modes always baffle me although I have a complex glider using them on a downloaded program.

I do like the reverse gain option so will see how I get on when I have time. There may be more about these if I google them.

Hi Martin

That's good to hear.

Bangood are pretty good at shipping out stuff they have in stock. Not so good with stuff they don't have. Couple of orders held up at the moment because they didn't say they were out of stock.

Guess with the current situation, a lot of high volume/low margin retailers are feeling the pinch, so they will do anything to get your money in their bank account.

Unfair on the poor customers, but that's the way of the world.

Out of interest, is your HK order coming through Singpost? I have two items ordered in April. Apparently haven't even reached the first stage of their journey, from HK warehouse to Singpost facility.

HK swear they despatched them, Singpost say they never received them. As usual, poor customer caught in the middle.

I can appreciate there are delays at the moment, but no-one will take responsibility for sorting this out. That's what really annoys me.

OK, rant over

Jeff

Posted by Phil Brooks on 07/07/2020 19:18:46:

Does anybody know which of these, if any, are able to operate in i/c powered models? I note that some, but not all, specifically say they're fit only for electric power, presumably because of vibration problems.

All these work in I/C models Phil, and just want a level mount on a foam pad, much like a receiver.

The first stab I bought long ago was, I think, a GWS PO3 which even when mounted on the supplied super soft rubber did not take kindly to a 25 i/c, but it did its job until I gave up with it. I put the aerobatic model into a tail slide and it slid about 200ft, nearly hitting the ground. The current ones use a completely different type of gyros/accellerometers.

I shall need a slider to control the gyro gain on these ones and be able to turn the thing off pronto if I get the settings wrong.

Yes, my order is with Singapore Post where it has been sitting since April 8th. HK say that if has not arrived by tomorrow they will authorise a refund. I want my replacement EDF blade, not my money back no doubt less postage so if it comes to the crunch I shall go to Paypal.

Slider for Gain, yes Martin

Best advice is in most makes instructions, to have a trimmed aeroplane before the gyro is connected.

Once trimmed, set the gain to its lowest where any movement, you can just hear the servos move.

One of my buddies hated the gyro, and on inspection he had fitted it upside down, and yes, that does mean

that the gyro fought the wind with opposite aileron.

The on / off switch helps to use the gyro at its best and off for aerobatics.