Mini flight stabilisers

Ron Gray

Hi Martin

Quite correct, you can't use a three position switch and a rotary knob at the same time.

Question is, why would you want to?

Both are only different ways of controlling the end points of channel 5, and in turn the overall gain of the unit.

The three position switch will allow you to choose between three predetermined points, where the pot will give you infinite adjustment.

Either can be considered gain control from the transmitter, which is what you are asking for.

Jeff

I have just dug out my i10 instruction book, not that it is really needed, charged up the battery and am about to have another look at it. The above sounds promising, just what I want thanks. Should presumably work on a JR slider too.

I shall have to use an electric set up at the moment because of the voltage problem. If this works I may look into using a 5V regulator as opposed to a UBEC for i/c.

Experimented with the Tempest last night, moved the battery back to make it tail heavy, plugged it in with the model level so that the gyro could establish itself then flew. In stabilised mode it flew as normal but when I switched to 'experienced' mode it had to have massive down elevator to control it, so much so that I used 'beginner' mode to land it. Conclusion, well on this small model a rearwards C of G can be overcome with the use of the gyro. In have now got more confidence to try this out on a larger model!!!!

Hi Guys, got a technical question for you.

I have an NX 3 still in its box. Casting through the fleet for something to put it in I find unfortunately (or maybe not) that all my models fly well on their own, apart from a little pilot interference.
However I do have a Pheonix 1.6 mtr motor glider which tends to balloon up when you apply throttle.
Apparently this is common with those models.
Internet reports say it is due to incorrect tailplane incidence, which I have corrected, and also mixed a little down elevator with throttle.
It does occur though, that since this ballooning is uncommanded (no sticks) would the NX3 try to correct for it?
If I'm right, I should have straight and level flight whatever the throttle setting.

Your thoughts

Jeff

All models that do fly well Jeff, need to, because a stabilizer will not fly a model, and it can still finish up underground.

Stabilizers do just what it says on the tin, and will smooth out gust reactions and you will never tip stall while landing

Into wind.

With your situation of no inputs but throttle

Yes, the stabilizer will maintain level flight, but have the least gain that you can set

can anyone give some advice on this model.

Was trying to get one sorted today for a fellow modeller.

We managed to hook the white single signal wires from the included stabilisation unit to the receiver for throttle, ailerons and elevator that worked.

Rudder wire has three wires. Could not get it to work at all. Although the rudder would move a little during self test. Connections seemed OK and the flight mode wire - Could not seem to get that sorted.

So model has elevator, ailerons and throttle working okay.

It does it self test but no idea how to set rudder or flight mode up. This is on a spektrum dx8 G1.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Finally managed to get my NX3 airborne in something. Fitted it to an old, well worn, Phoenix 1600 V1.

Have to say the model flies pretty well as is, but with the stab enabled seemed subjectively to be much smoother,

Noticeable improvement in two areas.

Most of these models, my V1 included, want to climb steeply when throttling up. Not so with the stab enabled. Open the throttle and it flies level, just faster.

Also, on landing.

My field has hedges all round it, which generally leads to some turbulence on the landing approach. Not so with the stab. Just flew straight through every thing, and down to a 'greaser'.

Best landing I have ever done with this model, although if you ask, it was all down to pilot skill (ahem).

Would like to try it on a windier day, and maybe play with the gains a little bit, but so far very pleased.

One thing.

In the instructions it says if you only have a two position switch you can't switch the stab off in flight.

Not so.

True, you can't have Rate mode, HH mode and off, but you can get either Rate and off, or HH and off, merely by reducing the atv down to zero on the side if the switch you don't use.

Given I only wanted to try it out in rate mode for the maiden, this suited me fine.

So far, so good

Jeff

Hi Martin

Well ahead of me as usual. I only added that bit to show the manual was incorrect.

Mind you for real modellers the manual is a last resort.

Sorry to hear of the demise of your Limbo Dancer. I have one and it's one of my favourite models. Is it repairable?

Out of interest, the first one I installed is working perfectly, but the second one seems to have a fault. When I power it up, both aileron servos are buzzing and twitching continuously.

I have e-mailed Banggood about this, see what they come back with. My worry is that they only have a limited number left. Hope they don't agree it's faulty, then can't replace it.

We'll see

Jeff

The Limbo put its nose straight down from a great height and went in full bore, obviously a power failure. It is now landfill. Strangely my Jumbo Dancer which was a 1.4x Limbo did the same thing a while ago with different well tried and tested gear in it. I am now ressurecting a very old profile fus. fun fly to use as another test model. I only bought it for the YS 63S and the quality servos it had fitted so after a test flight with other gear and motor I shall try the second stab. in it.

Posted by Jeffrey Cottrell 2 on 01/09/2020 19:32:15:

Out of interest, the first one I installed is working perfectly, but the second one seems to have a fault. When I power it up, both aileron servos are buzzing and twitching continuously.

Jeff

Rather than loose your stabilizer back to the supplier

Turn down the aileron gain to stop the buzzing as you can get a bit of feedback from 2 servos on one line when set to too high a gain

Hi Guys, just a general note.

Back on 26th July I posted a question whether a stab would correct a problem with Pheonix gliders of ballooning upwards with throttle.

I have one of the old 1.6mtr V1's which had this so severe that it would sometimes loop when applying throttle.

Changed the incidence of the tailplane and mixed a little down elevator with the throttle. Didn't completely cure the problem , but at least made it manageable.

Used this as a test bed for an NX3, and can now confirm it works a treat.

With the stab on, I can open throttle in level flight and it stays level, just faster. Score one for the NX3.

Jeff

Hi Denis

Thanks for the thought, but that doesn't cure it.

First of all, the servos are on separate outputs, ch1 and ch6 on the rx. Tried unplugging one at a time and the other still buzzed.

This even with the stab turned off.

Tried switching to digital servos, just in case the stab doesn't work well with analogues, but that made no difference either.

Convinced as I can be that the unit is faulty.

Got a couple more coming from BG, so i can try substitution when those arrive but I'm worried that once I prove that, BG might be out of stock, and can't replace it.

We'll see

Jeff