Fournier RF-4

Posted by EarlyBird on 15/10/2020 18:31:44:

Ah yes miss camomile I am speechless every time I look at her, so beautiful. Amazing!

I may be miss judging the comment but I am reminded of an old story.

A Chinese man went to see a Chinese stamp collector.

He said " Oh Sir! You are the greatest stamp collector ever! You have the finest, most complete collection of stamps in the world! You are the envy of every other stamp collector everywhere.!!!

And the stamp collector looked at the man and said,

"Philately will get you no where"

For goodness sake that isn't bad. The faint wave in the spine is covered by the sheet so no one will see it.

The slight angle at the tail post can be cured by slitting down it and twisting it straight.. Sandpaper the bottom flat, a kiss of sandpaper will do that. The top will blend into the rolled decking and not be visible and anyway you can only see one side at a time so it can't be noticed.

I am amazed and heartened by the positivity. Thank you but I have already taken a razor saw to it, I did think of ordering another pack from Sarik but I would then have to wait two weeks. Obviously one benefit would be I had a spare wing.

I don't need a notice as everyone knows my new catch phrase. Here is 'I can't see it at 50 feet' when I arrive at the field. laugh Just joking.

Seriously I split down the tail post and then could adjust the angle so that it is near enough not to matter. My only concern was how the angle of the fin would be affected.

Never give up and onwards and backwards sometimes.

Cheers beer

Steve

I am reminded of someone many,many years ago in a RAF model club.

He built a KK kit of the "Anzac" Later very hurridly renamed Bantam I think because the Australians rightly objected.

THis model was warped all over the place. IT was notable for the lack of application of sandpaper. The covering would have made a blind man cry.

The builder, a total novice, who ignored all advice insisted on taking it out to fly fly it.

We all went out to enjoy the crash and say "We told you so!!!!"

It flew, not well but it flew and didn't crash.

Now I am going to charge my batteries for Sunday. We have a Spot crashing (sorry landing) competition,

Thanks for the encouragement Peter which resulted in me going back in the workshop in the evening.

Here is the result.

Spine (?) glued in.

img_20201017_075335756.jpg

Snakes surprise fitted

img_20201017_075424416_hdr.jpg

The weather forecast for tomorrow is looking good in North Lincolnshire I hope you have the same for your spot landing thingy, I did wonder if you will have an unfair advantage because of the Li'l Cub. Which made me chuckle then the devil in me made me wonder if that's the reason for designing it. laugh

I know it's not the reason but the thought of the possibility made me laugh.

Cheers beer

Steve

For me just for fun is the best. I also like low key. We have a small square painted on the runway for this. I have suggested that it should be larger as I have never seen anyone hit it. laugh

Serious stuff now. The build!

I started at the back of the fuselage as I knew the front needs some redesign. Yes I am making it harder because of the electric conversion.

This is the layout

img_20201017_162534489.jpg

There is plenty of battery space.

img_20201017_162613356.jpg

This is a 2200 3S plenty of room to have two in parallel for extra nose weight. F1 is moved forward about 1" which means it will need trimming to shape. The sides need extending to match. It's all detail I need to think about.

I could buy a OS30 FS but I have been advised otherwise. Stay with electric, for you it is safer. I am still trying to work out what they were trying to say but fingers were mentioned.frown

A bit of banter is all part of the fun.smiley

Cheers beer

Steve

Great that that you are working out the electric conversion.

I like to see people doing conversions and modifications. They learn much more that way.

I have to admit that these days I prefer electric because there is less to carry and it is quicker to set up get the model in the air. This means more time to sit in my chair.

Being a gardener I always find this a sad time of year. The butterflies, bees and wasps have all gone. The flowers are dying back. sad

The good news is that the Green Finches are enjoying the Sunflower seeds that I grow for them. My autumn garlic and onions are all in the ground so I can turn my thoughts to the build.smiley

The front end. F1 will remain in place with a hole for the battery.

img_20201020_095432362_hdr.jpg

One decision made.

How to support the motor mount?

My thoughts are to make a ply box that will surround the battery.

How will the cowl fit? I am working on that.

Air flow over the esc?

I am thinking of using the apple cheeks as air inlets but where will the air exit be?

My head hurts! laugh

Cheers thinking

Steve

Not being brave enough (lazy) to move F1 forward I mounted the battery tray just behind it.

20201003_114246.jpg

The ESC is located under the tray so to provide some cooling I fitted a small scoop on the underside.

20200916_193139.jpg

I also hollowed out the cheeks to cool the motor.
Opening up the wheel well and fitting a retract would be really something!

All my feathered friends have been scared off for the time being by a SparrowHawk.

Thanks for the helpful ideas.

The pictures are very helpful FF.

I can now see a way forward, I just need to shake off the lethargy.

It's time to cut some wood and get on with it, I've already spent two days thinking about it and enough is enough.

I love to see the Sparrow Hawks but they seem to think that a bird table is for them also. sad

Cheers beer

Steve

I have been cutting woodyes

Servo mount glued to F3.

img_20201021_160515510.jpg

Guide rails fitted to the fuselage sides.

img_20201021_200228965.jpg

and test fit.

img_20201021_200323764.jpg

Glue in place tomorrow and then move on to F2.

Hm thinking a decision on the undercarriage has to be made and the parts ordered.

I have looked at a retract but the available space is very limited so it looks like it will be fixed.

I have had a good day today, made progress on the built and had my flue jab. My arm aches now and I am wondering if I have done too much or it's the jab.

More fun tomorrow smiley

Cheers beer

Steve