Fournier RF-4

So the building board is empty!

img_20201011_172620178.jpg

So what to do about it thinking hmmmmm

img_20201011_172726462.jpg

Start the fuselage?

I brought the hardware from 4-Max and they included a present.

img_20201011_172858982.jpg

Nice but I don't think we need remindinglaugh

Has any one else got one and what do you do with it? It does look like a thing of purpose and must have a use.

Cheers beer

Steve

So I am not the only privileged customer then? crying

Thinking about it Peter you must be their most privileged customer so therefore maybe I am their second most privileged customer. smiley

I like to think I am special!

Car keys, now I was thinking they must be model related.

Cheers beer

Steve

I did not glue it because I could not get F4 and F5 to fit. I have now worked out why.

img_20201012_195633380.jpg

As you can see they are not flat bottomed.

Which is stopping me building over the plan.

Peter looking at you build the rear of the fuselage does appear to be flat on the board.

Puzzled dont know

Steve

Ah yes. I did that one differently I see.

NOTE the fuselage is is lying on the board but not flat. You can see the extension of the former under the fuselage.

I forget these things.

Today I found a photo and plan advertised on Ebay. I didn't even remember the model or plan and had to go and search for it.

I still don't remember building it.It was called Fantasy 2. I remember the original Fantasy as I did a fancy airbrush paint job on igt. But I have no recollection of the mark version.

11.jpg

Edited By Peter Miller on 12/10/2020 20:43:39

Edited By Peter Miller on 12/10/2020 20:50:07

You could make some sort of jigs to allow it to be built over ther plan Earlybird. Just need some scrap bits of balsa tack glued to the fuse sides to raise it up enough to allow the curved ends of the formers to just touch the plan. You just need to make sure it is all evenly raised but very simple to do.

Enjoying following your build.

Gary

Posted by Gary Clark 1 on 13/10/2020 08:13:05:

You could make some sort of jigs to allow it to be built over ther plan Earlybird. Just need some scrap bits of balsa tack glued to the fuse sides to raise it up enough to allow the curved ends of the formers to just touch the plan. You just need to make sure it is all evenly raised but very simple to do.

Enjoying following your build.

Gary

Thanks Gary I was thinking along those lines but it is good to know hat it is easy to do.

I think I also need to mark the former position on the sides in order to get them in the correct location.

Once I have the lines I can use pins adjacent to the lines as a location aid. The pins are necessary because of my eyes and shaky hands, the joys of getting old frown

The upshot of it is, having spent a sleepless night thinking about it, I have to take it apart and start again.sad

No big deal as nothing is glued, which is why I test fit.

Cheers beer

Steve

Thanks Peter.

This is as far as I have got

img_20201013_111901063.jpg

Former positions measured and marked on the inside of the fuselage sides.

I then test fitted and found that more adjustments are required. So I will take it apart again. Looks like this is going to be an iterative process unfortunately the number of iterations is unknown I just hope it is not hyperbolic.

Cheers beer

Steve

So it's been a long day. I could not get the formers to fit so after a few attempts I gave up my only thoughts being that there has to be more to life than this. Of course there is, flying for one if only I could.

Feeling totally down in the dumps suddenly idea it came to me. Take it all apart again, groan! not again!, and fit the formers individually to each side laid on the bench. With a little bit of trimming and a couple of packing pieces it all came together quite easily. smiley

So all of the formers are ready. I have put guide pins in and started gluing at last.

img_20201013_202255681.jpg

Only two formers as these two will fit with the fuselage flat on the board wedged in the jig(?)

Well the plan looks to be working, which always makes me happy party

If I wasn't tea total I could have a beer or two. thinking hm the thing is I am not tea total as I don't like tea but saying coffee and water total just doesn't sound right.

A thought occurred to me while struggling with getting the formers to fit. Why did I expect it all to just fit perfectly it never does.

Making it fit together is part of the fun.

Cheers tea

Steve

Peter you keep making me laugh which cheers me up not end, thank you. smiley

It's not the design it's just that I expect laser cut parts to fit perfectly and thought maybe others are of the same mind so I was making a point that could be helpful to others. 1955 I was three so I think I was a bit young to start designing and now too oldlaugh

Cheers beer

Steve