Fournier RF-4

Yes they fit the plan surprise

But the formers are cut at a right angle so need sanding to the angle of the fuselage side. Then I found that the triangle stock varies along its length forming a taper towards one end. I got around that by adding thin bits a scrap packing. We are only talking in terms of 1/32".

Are you shouting and swearing?surpriselaughlaughlaugh

As I said to the doctor 'it only hurts when I laugh but that does not happen often'

Peter you do make it so much more fun.

I have fitted one more former so I am doing well today frown

Cheers beer

Steve

Posted by Fun Flyer on 14/10/2020 10:00:50:

I think everyone hits a wall at some point with every build. I found the wings to be a challange but yours seemed to just slip together. Keep going. The RF4 is well worth persevering with.
1955, that's nothing. I was at school in 1955!

I joined the RAF at the end of 1955

Never fear, the fuselage will go together somehow even if you need to 'modify' the formers (even CNC cut ones) slightly.

One thing I wouldn't be without is my SLEC fuselage jig which allows me to dry assemble and hold everything together without its falling apart as soon as you let go of it. I've built loads of fuselages with mine (and even a boat hull - my Thames sailing barge) and it's gettiing a bit tatty.

I'm having similar problems with the CNC parts for my Peter Miller Li'l Cub (it's a strange shape too) as you can see here.

fuselage 5.jpg

It makes building a lot easier. It's all glued together here but I set it up dry and those lines help to get it straight.

Geoff

No complaints here either Peter just observations that demonstrate my ineptitude. If I had spotted that one of the triangular strips was tapered before I glued it in place then I would not have used it and there would have been no problem. A simple case of inexperience.

No problem really and I have learned a lot, which is the main thing.

I have four formers and the wing bolt plate fitted.

That has taken me two days.

It's a good job I am not on piece work and that I have plenty of free time.

I won't be taking on any commissions any time soon at this rate.laugh

Cheers beer

Steve

Geoff

Yes I have considered that jig but I don't know if I will be building anymore models.

I thought that with the Ballerina and here I am building another one.

I was warned that building is addictive, hmmm mixed tenses there.

So what I am going to do is follow your suggestion and buy one for when I start The Ohmen. Hang on I must be addicted laugh oh no smiley I do not need any more, I do not need any more.

Well one more will not do any harm will it.

Ok I have convinced myself just one more maybe.

Cheers beer

Steve

There you are. Told you that it would work!!!

Now you think you have problems.

My current design will not fit on one side if a plan sheet but will not fill two sides. So is not going to be used. Not a problem in its self.

Now I think I will scale it up a bit and that might be used or design two small models each to fit in a single side of a free plan sheet.

Peter, what about a low wing fuselage to fill the empty part of the plan? Same wings and two alternative fuselages?

But personally I prefer models in the 50 inch span range and thats the size of plan that would tempt me to buy RCME. Could be that size of the plane affects sales.

It looks like I could be adding another one to the list. thinking Peter if for some strange reason some one wished to have a say 62" span could they just add an extra bay to each wing? Obviously if that is no problem there must be some limit or we would have infinite span. Ok it's a daft thought.

The sun was out this morning, no rain and a light breeze too nice to stay indoors so I went in the garden and planted garlic.

Now that job is done I can refocus on this build.

Looking at the weather forecast though I will be tempted to go flying tomorrow.smiley

I will make that decision tomorrow.

I really ought to get a SLEC building board now that the build list is getting longer. Has anyone found a cure for this addiction? There again does anyone want a cure?

Cheers beer

Steve

Steve, back in the days of ferrite ‘can’ motors and NiCd batteries, electric models (particularly conversions of i.c. designs) often turned out a bit heavy and underpowered. It was quite a common practice to add an extra bay onto each wing panel - I did it for my Limbo Dancer and Lazy Bee. Dick Edmunds’s Algebra range of gliders also came in quite a range of wingspans, all using the same fuselage.

So yes, it is a reasonable thing to do, within limits of course!

Trevor