Fournier RF-4

The mock up of the motor mount.

img_20201023_105057826_hdr.jpg

The motor mount will be joined to F1 somehow, could be bolts or ply thinking

ESC location as far forward as possible.

Allow for a larger battery, say 3300 3S.

Battery hatch, hinged the same as my Ballerina.

Removable cowl, more thinking

Undercarriage, I have a steerable one doing nothing and I could just fix the steering arm.

Lots to think about.

Cheers beer

Steve

Progress!

I have been building the motor mount and battery box which is fixed to F1, The front of the battery tray form the bottom of the motor box.

I have used mortice and tenons, could be tabs and slots, which I last used in woodwork class over fifty years ago.

Everything is a push fit and not glued at all.

img_20201027_173619282.jpg Apart from the focus I am pleased with it.

Next on the list is the undercarriage mount. That will be tomorrow.

Cheers beer

Steve

One more step to designing models?

Modifications to the undercarriage.

Here are the components.

img_20201029_145236796.jpg

The nosewheel will bolt together F1 and the added ply plate which moves the nosewheel forward 1/2".

Like so, no bolts yet though.

img_20201029_145328272.jpg

But it gives everyone the idea.

I am having fun todaysmiley

Cheers beer

Steve

Autocad was a revelation in the early eighties, as was the personal computer (PC), but I felt like something was missing not the same as pencil and Rotring Pen. The good old days frown

More fun with glue today. Well F2 and the undercarriage mount is glued and bolted. I have to cut ventilation holes and holes for the wires from the ESC.

img_20201030_193520682.jpg

First test fit.

img_20201030_193154258.jpg

The ESC will be under the motor mount and cable tied to the ply that extends beyond the motor mount.

A few adjustments tomorrow and then it will be glue time again. smiley

Cheers beer

Steve

I still use pencil and paper and Rotring pens.

One reason is that on a full size dawing of a free lance design (i.e. Not scale) it is amazing how much difference can be made with a very minor change in a curve or angle that would not be visible on a small screen.

IT can change a rather ugly shape into a much prettier model.

I assumed you did Peter and like you I preferred seeing the full size drawing, I think our boards were A0 thinking. It was a long time ago 1977 and my first full time employment.

After a few adjustments and trial fits F1 is glued in place.

img_20201031_141107368_hdr.jpg

Also the battery board is finished complete with all the necessary holes.

This is the bottom view which includes a box for the strap to thread through.

img_20201031_133918163.jpg

More later maybe. smiley

Cheers beer

Steve

Fitting the battery board continued this morning. This is the final fit before glue time.

img_20201101_102505179_hdr.jpg

It was tight in places and small gaps in others so I sharpened my pencil and scribed around the edges. Obviously where there were gaps the pencil line was thinner or missing and on the tight sections the line was thicker. Just a simple process of sanding back where the line was thickest to give a better fit.

Having convinced myself that there was nothing else to do I glued the board to F2.

Waiting for glue to dry again!

Cheers beer

Steve

Motor mount glued yes

Cockpit floor glued, which is a bonus. smiley

Test fit the batteries.

img_20201102_095648417.jpg

Two 2200 3S just fit so there is plenty of room.

Now the fuselage is off the board there are more options for what to do next. thinking

I am starting to think of ways to lighten the tail surfaces.

But there is the front end to finish.

Cheers beer

Steve

After a lot of thinking and trial fitting pieces of balsa to the cowl.

img_20201103_061703972.jpg

I have decided that I need more thinking time dont know this design business is not easy for me and yet others appear to have no problem designing and building a model in three weeks. How do you do it Peter?

The cowl is put on hold for the time being and I will make progress elsewhere on the fuselage.

Snakes surprise to glue in place, top and bottom sheeting behind the wing seating.

Cheers beer

Steve

Posted by EarlyBird on 03/11/2020 06:35:09:

I have decided that I need more thinking time dont know this design business is not easy for me and yet others appear to have no problem designing and building a model in three weeks. How do you do it Peter?

Cheers beer

Steve

How do I do it? Lots of practice.

The current design on my drawing board IS presenting quite a few challenges. Wing mounting, Under carriage, Strut attachement, Which version do I actually do.

minimax4.jpg

Posted by EarlyBird on 03/11/2020 06:35:09:

The cowl is put on hold for the time being and I will make progress elsewhere on the fuselage.

Snakes surprise to glue in place, top and bottom sheeting behind the wing seating.

Cheers beer

Steve

I decided that designing is too much work so I leave it to the experts and just follow orders.

Posted by Bob Bertram on 03/11/2020 14:31:01:

I have always liked the Minimax, another one on my to do list. Doubt there is long enough left to do them all. This thread is reviving my interest to carry on with the Fournier and finish it

Edited By Bob Bertram on 03/11/2020 14:32:16

What stage are you at with the Fournier Bob?

That's good news Bob I would love to see some photos please.

Turtle deck. I did my usual method of wetting the sheet and letting it dry in place. This is how it looked.

img_20201103_150444249_hdr.jpg

The shape is roughly there which makes it easier to hold in place while the glue dries.

A few pins, tape and pegs is all that is needed. I have not glued along the spine and will do that as a separate operation.

Snakes surprise are glued in. I like them to be flush.

Every time I type snakes it reminds me of a very funny incident when working in Mangrove swamps for Chevron Oil in the Delta Region of Nigeria.

Oops got side tracked there and almost forgot the photo.

img_20201103_153826804_hdr.jpg

Snakes surprise allegedly it was a Black Mamba laugh.

Cheers beer

Steve