Please Help With Removing and Re Fitting Valve Collets

Darren

Is there any such tool as a mini valve spring compressor for model 4 stroke engines?

To re fit the tiny collets to hold the valves in place I use a set of tweezers in one hand to compress the spring and fit the collets with the other but this takes multiple attempts and sometimes when the tweezers slip off it pings the collets across the workshop never to be found, I am looking for an easier solution to this problem. Manufactures must have a tool for this job??

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited By Darren on 03/09/2020 15:27:37

Advert

Posted by kc on 03/09/2020 15:31:57:

I think Brian Winch covered this in one of his articles -- the one bit I remember is that you should use a polythene bag to catch the bits that fly out.

I have actually tried re assembling within a large grip seal bag to save loosing flying bits and parts, to be honest it just makes things even harder.

I used to refit valve collets quite a lot when I rebuilt motor cycle engines (usually vintage single cylinder engines) and, using a spring compressor (which I still have) it's not too difficult. However I can imagine trying to do the same on a 10cc engine rather than a 500cc one might be a little more tricky. There must be an easy way that people like OS use and I would guess a device to hold the spring compressed while the collets are fitted must be available.

I think I'd try to hold the spring compressed by wrapping thin fuse wire round the turns and snipping it free once the collets are in place - inside a poly bad as well!

Geoff

I am just rebuilding a laser 150 v twin and have been experiencing the same. I have now done one cylinder. I placed a piece of triangular balsa inside the combustion chamber, then covered this with a piece of ply. Now the valves cannot move. I then put a small G clamp on to the ply and one side of the spring retainer. I could compress this far enough to slip the collet on one side, then slip it around to the other side and put the second collet in.

I found working inside a bag impossible btw. I may try that again on cyl 2/

good luck

There is a thing called a jewellers apron which is some sort of apron attached to the bench and also to the person to catch things that would fall past your lap.

A carpetted floor is better than a hard surface as it stops the parts bouncing away into some hidden place. The parts stay where they fall with any luck. A magnet can be better than eyesight in finding tiny steel parts.

As willyuk suggest you need to make sure you have some sort of block for the valve to sit on. That way they stay put when you press the springs down. When it comes to pressing springs, find a small offset ring spanner that has an o/d about the same size as the collet retainer. You can use this to push down and then poke the collets in to place.

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 03/09/2020 17:03:03

Posted by kc on 03/09/2020 16:58:54:

There is a thing called a jewellers apron which is some sort of apron attached to the bench and also to the person to catch things that would fall past your lap.

One of my earliest memories is of watching my grandfather working at his bench repairing watches and clocks (he was working into his 80s). There was nothing special about his apron. It was just an ordinary white bib style but it clipped into fittings on his bench to catch any small parts that fell. I've often wondered why I didn't have the same when I've been scouring my workshop floor for some small part

He died about 75 years ago when I was 5 and we lived with him and my grandmother at the shop so thanks for reminding me of a very special man.

Geoff

Posted by Caveman on 03/09/2020 21:14:40:

This YouTube video shows the rebuild of an OS 52 four stroke. Building the valve into the head is shown from 5:45

Valve rebuild

He makes it look very easy and quite simple!!

GDB

Those valves that are secured in place with circlips are pretty simple, it is the ones that are held in place with the collects that are the pain. You need three hands.