The Annual Dark Nights Fix-up.

MattyB

img_20201011_120656114.jpgDid a whoopsy with this one a couple of weeks ago. On launch it went clunk as the lipo slipped back an inch or so into the fuz, ( ground crew failed to secure it properly )

The brave pilot wrestled it around the circuit, but it stalled on the final turn, and it went in.

I'd already put the jigsaw puzzle of the wing together when I spotted this topic, can I join in please.

The model is very simple, but might end up like Frankenstein's monster if I can't find the right paint.pb303020.jpg

Big tidy up and then a bit more on the Mini Astro Hog today, culminating in finally getting the balsa cowl how I wanted it, building up a few damaged bits with epoxy and microballoons and then giving the fuselage, cowl and hatch a coat of sanding sealer ready for final finish sanding. In the meantime I covered the elevators and the hardest job of the day was getting the backing film layer off the Hobbyking film. It must have taken me 15 minutes to get the backing off one particular piece, it just wouldn't let go.

Posted by Doc Marten on 11/10/2020 20:20:55:

Solarfilm removed with the iron set really hot (a job I hate doing), residue cleaned off with cellulose thinner and planking over tank bay removed, I may give it a dust over with white acrylic as a block to give an even background when I recover it to stop the old colours grinning through.

img_20201006_173146.jpg

img_20201006_201704.jpg

Looking good Doc - seems like most of the wood was in pretty good condition under there despite the initial appearance. Should be flying in no time...

A quick progress update - We are up to 40 airframes entered, with 3 completed so far. smile d Keep on keeping on everyone, I am enjoying watching all the progress!

Edited By MattyB on 12/10/2020 12:03:38

Hi Matty,

I've started prudently to get the Oracover off that vintage Graupner E-glider.

Having a go at the tailplanes, I doesn't seem to come off very easily, leaving a lot of coloured bits and stain to the wood. Quite a long task, I'm afraid... blush

Just a question, please.

Wouldn't it be better for me to start a separate/new thread for the glider instead of clogging this opening thread?

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

Posted by McG 6969 on 12/10/2020 19:48:59:

...Just a question, please.

Wouldn't it be better for me to start a separate/new thread for the glider instead of clogging this opening thread?

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

Whatever you prefer Chris - by all means start another thread if you want, just post a link in this one once it’s up. I wouldn’t see contributing here as “clogging” the thread though - part of why I started this was to motivate myself and others with pics of progress, so seeing a hodge podge of different model types taking shape is rather gratifying IMO.

Edited By MattyB on 12/10/2020 21:28:26

I'm in Just plucked my old Acrowot from the loft. Used to have an OS 70 4 stroke upfront but decided to put an OS55 2 stroke in her this time.

Expect to strip her and do a brand new colour scheme.  No idea what yet, but it will maybe have to be based on what I have in stock.

img_6622.jpg

img_6623.jpg

Edited By Low pass Pete on 13/10/2020 14:57:40

Whatever you prefer Chris - by all means start another thread if you want, just post a link in this one once it’s up. I wouldn’t see contributing here as “clogging” the thread though - part of why I started this was to motivate myself and others with pics of progress, so seeing a hodge podge of different model types taking shape is rather gratifying IMO.

Thanks for your reply, Matty.

I guess I'll be starting a refurb thread when the time comes.

Still a lot of covering to remove which I'm trying to do in between the building progress on the Sabre Dog.

Still some time left before I can start the proper rebuild of the e-glider though.

Cheers & stay safe all

Chris

Posted by Low pass Pete on 13/10/2020 14:54:22:

I'm in Just plucked my old Acrowot from the loft. Used to have an OS 70 4 stroke upfront but decided to put an OS55 2 stroke in her this time.

Expect to strip her and do a brand new colour scheme. No idea what yet, but it will maybe have to be based on what I have in stock.

img_6623.jpg

That covering looks pretty good to me Pete! Might a deep clean be sufficient?

Anyway, in other developments Bob has started on his P40...

Posted by MattyB on 15/10/2020 15:53:57:

Thanks Matt, it's a placeholder. Progress will be slow and it had to queue while I assembled a 'new' Wot'sWot ARTF from my stock of wreckage and spares. As I salvaged an old set of wings I even have a new top wing set left over laugh- amazing what you come across when you start rummaging!

Posted by MattyB on 15/10/2020 15:53:57:
Posted by Low pass Pete on 13/10/2020 14:54:22:

Expect to strip her and do a brand new colour scheme. No idea what yet, but it will maybe have to be based on what I have in stock.

img_6623.jpg

That covering looks pretty good to me Pete! Might a deep clean be sufficient?

Wing was not too bad but the fus is poor condition finish wise, as it was painted and has been eaten. Not so keen on the colour scheme now so time for a complete change. Just needed the motivation to get going.

Cheers Pete

Edited By Low pass Pete on 16/10/2020 07:15:48

Edited By Low pass Pete on 16/10/2020 07:16:15

Finished the basic colour scheme covering on the Mini Astro Hog - just got the trim to finish off and some smears of adhesive to clean off, but I'm out of isopropanol at the moment. Then onto hinging the control surface and that's it mostly done - still a little bit of detail work around the cockpit, headrest and pilot.

Oh and after making that wooden cowl and covering it with aluminium tape I just found a nicer moulded plastic cowl in a drawer which will be an almost perfect fit with just a bit of trimming.Mini Astro Hog covered

To bump up our numbers wink 2 I took one for the team and bumped my old HK Spad VIII parkflyer on a lunchtime sortie. Amusingly poor Georges Madon was taken out by a worm-cast, nosed over and the whole top wing and struts came astray! It looked like it would take mins to fix, but several hours of fiddly unscrewing and regluing later we are finally back ready to fly again...

Spad crash

Oops!

Spad repair 1

Spad repair 2

Back ready to fly again

Edited By MattyB on 21/10/2020 10:31:07

• Like 1

Another dark nights jobby ! Thanks to Earlybird on another thread (SkyGipsy) I now have a donated Super 60 which needed reverting to IC.

Add a fuel tank, a throttle servo, an OS 40LA and some home made KK etc decals, and a pile of stickers for visibility and differentiation of top/bottom of the wing - now I need to learn to fly 3 channel !

img_6608.jpg

img_6621.jpg

Making a start on the Herc. I trimmed off the front of the rear fus section, then cut a ring and glued it in place to bring it back close to the original length.

desert rebuild 004.jpg

desert rebuild 007.jpg

Next I cut blocks to rebuild the lower fus centre section and u/c bulges and glued them in place.

desert rebuild 008.jpg

desert rebuild 011.jpg

This was sanded to a rough shape - filler will be added later. I then glued the front fus section back on. The nose section comes later!

desert rebuild 012.jpg

The nose section is having the steerable gear built in - it will be fixed u/c this time to reduce complexity and weight.

desert rebuild 014.jpg

desert rebuild 017.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My Kloudrider wing is now structurally repaired but needs covering. I have taken some pictures but need to transfer these from my camera to my album before I can attempt to post them - if I can remember how to do that.

Covering is now an issue. I have plenty of nylon, but no dope. Some oddments of Solarfilm and 'tex but not enough of any single colour to do the job so using those would make a multi coloured wing.

Laminating film is a possible alternative but I haven't any idea of what temperature would be needed for adhesion and shrinkage. Can anyone who has used this material give me any advice?

Malcolm

Working on the U/C. As it's standoff scale (!!) I decided not to model open U/C doors, just dig a hole in the polystyrene and let the wheels in. I also wanted to make the U/C removeable for hand launching - one of our flying patched is a bit rough for 70mm wheels to handle. First I had to size up and create the axles with wheels, then make a frame to hold them.

desert rebuild 025.jpg

This assembly fits to the bottom, held in place by four screws going into blocks gorilla glued into the cut-out on the bottom of the fus.

desert rebuild 024.jpg

Assembly in place (no screws or axle clamps at this point)

desert rebuild 026.jpg

Doesn't look to bad at this stage.

desert rebuild 029.jpg

All I have to do now is get the glass cloth and varnish on the go to add strength and create a surface to redo the paint scheme.