The Annual Dark Nights Fix-up.

MattyB

Finally made a start on the SE5. Fuselage first...

20201029_112835.jpg

Damage limited to:

• Smashed ABS gill - fixed with thin ply, balsa, CA and plastic cement
  • Broken front former - fixed with squirt of CA (not load bearing)
  • Rudder servo gears trashed - replaced servo
  • Broken rudder pushrod dowel - replaced
  • 4 broken cabanes - replacements to be fabricated from ply
  • Fuselage snapped just behind wing. New wood replacing broken pieces plus triangular gussets (would have liked to have added some carbon strip reinforcement but not possible; if seems not strong, will add some carbon weave)
  • Several panels of tissue covering to be replaced
  • Pilot screwed and glued to hatch as he ejected!

I will add photo when fuselage finished.

More pieces in the jigsaw that used to be wings

GG

Day off today so time for a potter in the workshop - the replacement ESC for the Mini AstroHog electrification still hasn't arrived, so that was shelved . Replacing all the plugs and splices and testing on the misbehaving unit showed that it is working fine, but with the extra cabling the UBec and associated gubbins is a tight fit and doesn't allow any cooling air over the ESC, so that can go in another model

With that shelved I got out #2 in the Dark Nights 2020 Fix-Up challenge, the Kyosho Spifire refurb, which was looking pretty sorry for herself. Went over all the saggy covering with a hot iron and it came up okay - I'll paint over the film once the repairs are done. Then cut back the hole in the lower leading edge skin and put some dummy rib doublers in to take the replacement sheeting. Found the missing mechanical retract unit, but not the missing aileron servo hatch mount.

Onto the battery hatch and tray, This liteply tray sits at a shallow angle, penetrating the firewall low down, below the motor mount and will take a 5s1p5000mah G-Power pack. The mountings are now done and the tray will be screwed into place, to be removable for maintenance.

I toyed with cutting out and installing a full cockpit and pilot, but I have a couple of much nicer Spitfires that size which will suit that better, so left it. Next step is refitting the tail surfaces, installing the servos and an elevator pushrod - the rudder is pull-pull via a compensator and I'll keep that. No piccies today, I'll put some in next time.

Posted by john stones 1 on 02/11/2020 22:12:14:

Acquired a couple of models, both need a bit of work, will be O.K for visitors or the Scout visits next year.

First one, what is it ?

Hi John. I have added both these models to the tracker here - if you do find out the name of the second one feel free to update it. We are now up to 44 fixes listed, and my Dad is doing a few that aren't up there yet so I think we might get to 50 in progress by end Nov...

Thick fog here today, and scotgov still advising against non-essential travel, so another day in the workshop. Put my connectors on the replacement ESC for the MiniAstrohog , but it was just too long to fit in the battery compartment , so back to square one. In the end I refitted the original one and it tested out fine. Then cut some cooling inlets on the side of the fuselage. These are covered by ducts cut from plastic spoons to direct cooling air directly onto the ESC. I'll cut an appropriate exit hole on the underside of the rear fuselage.

Then it was onto the ~Kyosho Spitfire - repairs to the wing leading edge sheeting completed, the angled battery tray was installed and a couple of motor mounting options investigated. Unfortunately the battery cut out on the firewall meant that the most suitable mount couldn't be fitted, so it will be threaded rod with a pair of radial cross mounts. Fitted dowels into the overlarge holes that were there from the I/C motor mount and in the end decided to glue the battery tray in place, rather than making it removable,

That's all being left overnight for the PVA to set nicely. Tomorrow I'll get to work on the motor mounting.

You may as well add my Flair SE5a refurbishment to your tracker, Matty. It looks like it'll go forward to completion as I've done quite a bit already and it's looking to be not only a viable project but one that's not going to be too long-winded or particularly difficult (famous last words).

However, rather than clutter this thread, I've started one on the project here. It's not right up to date because I did a bit more today but I will update it from time to time.

Geoff

Kyosho Spitfire firewall repairProgressed with the Kyosho Spitfire motor mount, which is a space frame of 5mm threaded steel rod, with a pair of AXI cross radial mounts, all let into the captive nuts in the 8mm ply firewall. I want to get it all set for length and pitch, then I'll cut the aluminium tube spacers to exact length. If you use the cross mounts stock they are fitted with 4mm bolts into captive nuts, but given the length of the extension, about 65mm, I didn't feel that 4mm threaded rod was beefy enough, so I went up a size and needed to enlarge the mounting holes.

Kyosho Spitfire motor mount

When I came to fit the motor I found I didn;t have any 5mm nylock nuts, or any 5mm nuts other than the captive nuts, so I'll have to source some before progressing further. That's a job for later in the week.

kyosho Spitfire AXI 4120/18

Edited By leccyflyer on 08/11/2020 17:30:37

Posted by Geoff S on 07/11/2020 22:08:04:

You may as well add my Flair SE5a refurbishment to your tracker, Matty. It looks like it'll go forward to completion as I've done quite a bit already and it's looking to be not only a viable project but one that's not going to be too long-winded or particularly difficult (famous last words).

However, rather than clutter this thread, I've started one on the project here. It's not right up to date because I did a bit more today but I will update it from time to time.

Np, all done. We are one away from 50 being in progress...

I have started on the wings now. Apologies but no pictures - I forgot

Upper wing damage restricted to:

• one centre section strut fixing broken
  • several areas where tissue covering is ripped.

Removing tissue/patching no problem - will add authentic weathering

Removing the broken strut fixing took longer and needed Dremel, knife, rifflers. Gorilla glue is strong stuff! New strut fixing cut and glued in.

Lower wing damage more widespread:

• wing fixing bolt area ripped off
  • undercarriage rear mounting area ripped off
  • right wing sheared off
  • two broken strut fixings
  • several areas of tissue ripped.

Jigsaw now reconstructed with reinforcing wood and gussets added. New strut fixings cut and glued in. Tissue patching underway.

Painting next - no doubt that will add another shade or two of olive drab to the top; I have a pot of the original creamy underside paint.

GG

Looking good!

I too visited the loft and am now going to refurb existing 'benched' planes instead of buying yet more. A dozen or so have been moved to the garage but a few remain to have some attention.....

1. SIG Ultimate fun fly - just sourced an ASP off ebay for it. Just needs fitting out

2. Pushycat - needs new motor, fitting out and some general tidying up

3. Balsacraft FW190 that used to look like this (which I was quite proud of), but is now looking very sorry for itself with all the covering stripped off and several areas of balsa skinning removed ready to fix...

Balsacraft FW190

I doubt this will be fixed before start of summer 2020

GG

Almost there. Getting a high power brushed ESC is nigh on impossible unless I use one designed for boats/trucks. These give a centre off and reverse function. Given that the Herc can actually taxi backwards this has its attractions, but has a few attendant problems. I went for two 30-amp Turnigy items, one for each wing. Again, this isn't ideal, but connecting two inners and two outers would involve digging holes in the wing to modify the wiring, which I am loath to do. Two ESCs running at half power or less most of the time will get warm, so they are in a box with a CPU fan screwed to the end. This is mounted on a foam block in the base of the fus, with the Rx close to it. All seems to work well. Painting is finished, and I only have details of the battery placement and hold-down to sort and we are ready to go. One of the positives from the rebuild was finding that the elevator servo was faulty, giving a slow but steady runaway of up elevator, so perhaps the crash wasn't all my fault after all!

desert rebuild 030.jpg

ESCs in box with fan.

desert rebuild 031.jpg

Installation looking a little bit tidy.

desert rebuild 032.jpg

Ready to go.

Posted by GrumpyGnome on 14/11/2020 06:21:30:

Looking good!

I too visited the loft and am now going to refurb existing 'benched' planes instead of buying yet more. A dozen or so have been moved to the garage but a few remain to have some attention.....

1. SIG Ultimate fun fly - just sourced an ASP off ebay for it. Just needs fitting out

2. Pushycat - needs new motor, fitting out and some general tidying up

3. Balsacraft FW190 that used to look like this (which I was quite proud of), but is now looking very sorry for itself with all the covering stripped off and several areas of balsa skinning removed ready to fix...

Balsacraft FW190

I doubt this will be fixed before start of summer 2020

GG

Nice job on the BC FW190 GG - once I get the Kyosho Spitfire off the Dark Nights book I could do worse than add my unfinished BC FW190 to the challenge as well - so I'll be interested to see your refinish.

Toni and others have already got models returned to fitness, I am just starting. Not much damage to the fuselage of E-fair, but not much evidence of glue used in the ARTF.

img_20201114_135552544~2.jpg

Wing front plate and servo plate glued and clamped.

img_20201114_155435801~2.jpg

I thought the speed400 was dead, but it turned out that it was just that the folding prop was pushed on too far and was binding.

The wing will need more work.