Sellers beware!

SIMON CRAGG

Let me tell you of one really nice case.

I sold some expensive Dubro engine mounts on Ebay. The buyer told me that they had not arrived so I promptly offered a full return of his money.

The buyer said, "No, just send half" which I did.

About three weeks later the buyer went to the PO to collect a parcel and the PO said "Oh we also have this one for you" It was the Dubro engine mounts.

The buyer then came back to me and said he would give me back the other half of the price that I had returned to him.

Needless to say I said "NO! You keep it"

There are good buyers out there.

My feelings exactly Peter smiley 

Posted by Paul Marsh on 04/10/2020 14:55:00:
I trust non-one. Best thing to do...cool

I think thats concerning, a world where you believe no-one is trustworthy, a world full of thieves. I'm assuming you've very good reason Paul, but in truth whilst its not perfect, the real world isnt like that wink
Its a personal stance but I take great pleasure from trusting strangers and many friendships have grown from that initial trust. Maybe its a Yorkshire thing. As you know I do bespoke electronics and I rarely charge until the items have actually been delivered. Out of thousands I've been let down maybe twice, and one of those was due to Argentinian politics rather than a deliberate misdeed! I've been happily using 'friends & family' with complete strangers for donkeys years. To me the vast majority are fair and honest but I'd be interested to hear what others think - is Paul right? am I so naive as to not have noticed the entire population turning bad?

Cheers
Phil in fluffy pink cloud land

Edited By Phil Green on 06/10/2020 13:54:47

I'm with you Phil. As said (and despite what I've said about protecting yourself in online sales with some defensive tactics) I've not experienced people being more or less dishonest about, well, anything in general. People are as good or bad as people ever were.

I'm somewhat certain none of us here have any actual conclusive evidence beyond personal anecdotes of the land of milk and honey of days of yore, and the accuracy of the human memory is well documented, along with personal bias and numerous other cognitive errors we all make.

My experience over the years has been much like Phil's, one or two poor experiences but the vast majority have been good. I've bought and sold through the Modelflying, BMFA and Facebook classifieds and through Ebay auctions and to date I can only cite an OS 25 FSR that turned out to be worn out and two airframes that turned out to be repaired but flew ok-ish. Against this I've had some bargains and met some really nice people.

There have always been a proportion of dishonest folk, perhaps modern comms and on-line sales just offer the opportunity for the rogues to swap a stripy T-shirt and cosh for a keyboard?