Grammar, punctuation, spelling

Tim Kearsley

Yes it will put people off.

No I am not trying to convince anyone.

'That's apparent and conversely, you have nothing in your replies to convince me otherwise. The subject has touched a nerve with you, you don't like it being discussed so are scrabbling around, clinging onto unproven belief and playing the victim in the hope of getting it closed down. You're clearly in this for an arguement.'

Yes I think you had better as I do not appreciate what I take to be a personal attack whether intended or not.

Cheers beer

Steve

Posted by EarlyBird on 12/10/2020 12:57:36:

All you need to do is accept that I have an opinion that I am allowed to express without it being challenged.

No, I'm sorry, but that can't be correct! Where would be the opportunity for debate if no-one can challenge an opinion? Surely, when publishing an opinion you have to do so in the knowledge that others have the right to differ and to question it?

Tim.

Yes I can see that printing that he was flying back to North Africa, if that’s where he was going, would have been inadvisable. Headlines have to be brief even now because they are in a large font and would take up the whole page if not. I’m surprised that a proofreader didn’t notice, maybe ‘Monty flies back to war’ would have been better.

But in this case there is no way of proving one way or the other whether people will be put off or not.

I am of the opinion it will, obviously.

There is no argument on my part as it is a point of view.

As it happens I do care about my poor English but there is very little I can do about it, I wish I could.

Before anyone says it no it is not because I am lazy I firmly believe it is because my brain is not wired up to understand English.

In my case the more I read and write the less I understand or the more I misunderstand.

This has been a burden to me for the whole of my life. So nothing is going to change now.

Cheers beer

Steve

Posted by Doc Marten on 11/10/2020 00:58:47:
Posted by Dale Bradly on 11/10/2020 00:26:23:

.........People who use.......in the middle of a sentence, or use it as some form of punctuation.........I'm not aware of any school or workplace that teaches to insert a minimum of half a dozen periods in written text..............so where does this habit come from?

You'll find this is accepted and often used by authors to accentuate a pause, it's nothing new, Dickens and Bronte were quite partial to its use in their day sometimes terminated with an exclamation........it's also used on forums when quoting a reply in part to show that there is pre and post text to the comment.

Using the term 'period' instead of 'full stop' is pretty irritating.

Spot on..........

Have you noticed that weather forecasters never refer to sunny periods any more, but to sunny spells?

I have an idea that its because that..............no, won't go there.

Many years ago, on passing a large Ford dealership, I saw, in large painted letters on the showroom windows “Fiesta’s, Sierra’s...” etc. It put me off buying a Ford! (I got over it).

Has anybody spotted the numerous and regular spelling and grammatical errors in the rolling headlines on the BBC News channel? Yes, even the BBC!

We’re doomed!

smiley

R.O.F.L.

Steve,

Whilst I don't really want to get too involved in the argument you are having with Doc, I think you are missing a couple of salient points. Perhaps wilfully, perhaps not, it's not for me to judge.

Point one.

You are being incredibly defensive about this subject. I can see that you have some language difficulty and, being the parent of a child with Autism and another with Dyslexia, believe me, I completely understand. However, most of the thread has been a discussion about the apparent disregard of spelling and grammar in the public sphere. You do not disregard it, you said yourself that it is a problem. The focus of the thread is the idea that it DOESN'T matter.

Point two.

You feel, as is your right, that having this discussion will put people off using the forum. Had the discussion been entitled "I hate people who can't spell" or "If you can't use grammar, you shouldn't use this forum" then I would agree. It isn't. If I started a thread with the title "ARTF models are ruining the hobby", would that stop ARTF owners from using the forum? As you rightly point out, your opinion is your own, but you can't make other people share it. I think your opinion is wrong. You think it is right. Thank goodness for a world where we can have difference of opinion!

Point Three

If you feel a thread is inappropriate, report it. If you don't like it, then in all honesty, you don't need to engage with it. If you have an issue with people expressing their opinion about spelling and grammar, then maybe a thread about that subject is bound to bother you. Remember, those people have as much right to express their opinion as you do. Whether you like that or not, providing it doesn't breach forum rules, is a rather moot point.

Nobody is here to bang a drum or cause offence. But, you can't just shut down a discussion because people don't agree with you. Discussion, by its nature, involves differences of opinion. That's just how it is. Shrug it off, move on.

Edited By Matt Carlton on 12/10/2020 14:52:46

Well said Matt,

What I did find offensive was in the opening thread which inferred to me that my poor English is because I am lazy. Now I let that slide but it made me wonder how many others would be put off by this thread.

Thinking about it more, would it not be better to assume that it will put people off. That way people will definitely not be put off. I wish my English was better.

So for me it is not trying to shut down a thread, where that has come from I do not have a clue, but us being careful not to put people off.

We need people to join in. Not only in this forum but also in model flying. I learned many years ago that if you want to encourage people then say nothing negative.

I feel the tone of this thread is negative as it is overwhelmingly about peoples grammatical errors, and like me others can do nothing about it.

Do I care yes. Do I expect it to change no.

There is nothing we can do to improve others grammar and it is not because they are lazy.

In life somethings are just beyond the individuals ability, I gave up trying to figure out how linear motors work for example. I think John Stones 1 summed it up with some thing along the lines that inability does not stop people from being good enthusiastic club members all that is need is encouragement. I can not be bothered to look up the actual quote.

Now have I convinced you I am not upset?

I am not trying to shut down a thread?

There is nothing to shrug off?

Cheers smiley

Steve