Trouble with Laptop

Erfolg

I have purchased a Acer Aspire 5.

I have tried to down load both Google Chrome and Yahoo into the device and expected to find the files in Settings > Apps. I find no trace of the files in there.

I also expected to find each of the apps on my side tool bar, I am guessing that there omission is a consequence of not having a trace of the apps

I also want to place an Icon on my desk top for each. Being unable to find the apps, this is not possible?

Both are accessible via the lower tool bar by entering in the "Type here to search" box. Doable although not convenient.

PLEASE HELP.

Hi Erolg,

When you do the search and windows brings up the app icon, rather than left click on it, do a right click. This will bring up a menu where there is an option 'Pin to Start' and you will get the app appearing in the Start menu.

In addition the same menu has an option 'Open file location'. If you click that then Explorer will open with the actual program file highlighted. Right click the file and you will find an option 'Send To ... >'. Clicking that gives a further menu with an option 'Desktop (Create shortcut)'. Selecting this option will put an icon on your desktop for that app.

Hope that helps

Posted by ColdLazerus on 11/11/2020 12:15:44:

which version of windows are you running 10 or 10s with 10s you con only use edge

I've learnt something here .... to avoid Windows 10s at all costs. It can ONLY use programs available from the Windows Store. What disgraceful behaviour. It's a wonder that the monopolies commission aren't onto Microsoft. But then again, they are only doing what Apple have been doing for years.

Windows 10s can be easily converted to 'normal' Windows 10. A quick Google search will reveal all. It's a standard Microsoft procedure, then you can load any program (app) of your choice.

I recently did this with my wife's Acer Swift 3 so I know it's easily done.

GDB

Posted by Caveman on 11/11/2020 14:16:10:

Windows 10s can be easily converted to 'normal' Windows 10. A quick Google search will reveal all. It's a standard Microsoft procedure, then you can load any program (app) of your choice.

I recently did this with my wife's Acer Swift 3 so I know it's easily done.

GDB

So it is. That's not so bad then. I'm still on 7 Pro at the moment but will need to bite the bullet at some point. My son has 10 on his and I detest it.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 11/11/2020 14:44:34

Interesting to see the mention of 10s and the limits of it. Unfortunately I have to try and fix problems with it sometimes.

I had a friend with a new printer a day ago and still haven't got it to go from his Windows 10. Just to check it I plugged in my Linux Mint, wrote a line of text and hit "print". It printed, no hesitation. So still got to go back and try and sort his problem out though it might be quite simple. He is probably going to go and buy an SSD which I'll put Linux on and solve the problem plus reducing the boot time by x10 i.e. from 3+ minutes down to about 26 seconds.

As for Windows here, two years ago Microsoft wiped my partner's computer totally after months of viruses each month written by them, wipe screen drivers, wipe printer drivers. For two years now not a single problem running Linux as if it was what she had always used - that simple a fix.

Quite so! I gave up on Windows decades ago, initially turning to OS/2, then Linux. Never had a problem with it.

Going back even further, I remember building a UK101 kit computer in the late 70s. It came with Micro$oft Basic. I thought that was great until a year or two later, when the BBC "B" arrived with BBC Basic, which showed how it should *really* be done!

Been very skeptical of Micro$oft stuff ever since...

--

Pete

I have managed to get a Icon for google onto the Desk Top.

I followed the instructions as posted. All went well until I got to the Apps, when I could not find Windows 10 Home, Only the Windows 10 Pro @ circa £100. In the Search box i type in the Home, and it seemed to have changed itself, when the screen came up. No obvious change, but I then had the option to run Google etc.

With respect to Yahoo, this is now via Google.

Thanks for all your time and effort.