Swizzle Stick

EarlyBird

I have gone for the peace of mind option and added the splint to the other side. The rudder is also hinged.

img_20210126_184821301.jpg

I have ordered the Motor and ESC plus other bits and pieces from 4-Max.

Oh yes I have made a decision on how to fit the battery hatch, I will use a spring catch that you showed earlier Peter.

Tomorrow I can finish the elevator and fit the wing control horns which will finish the wings. There is a bit to do on the fuselage before final assembly can take place, but not a lot.

That's another good day in North Lincolnshire.

Cheers beer

Steve

Motor and ESC from 4-Max complete with all connections. The XT60 is a nice touch.

img_20210130_100624136.jpg

The motor shaft extends into the battery bay, not a good idea. I have reversed the shaft previously, which is easy to do, but some people cut the shaft down. I have a hacksaw will that do the job?

Cheers beer

Steve

Thanks Peter,

I was dubious about the hacksaw idea and did not want to try because of the possible damage I could cause.

The plastic bag is a good tip. yes

Club mates could do it for me but...

Looks like I will be reversing the shaft and using a collet adapter.

thinking

Unless I leave it as it is and wait for the flying to start, when it can be cut down. In the mean time I can fit and test it.

That's a decision made.

Cheers beer

Steve

I have found that the average Junior hacksaw blade gets an accute case of Pyorea when asked to cut piano wire.

Living without a mini drill would be impossible for me. I have two plus a spare. I even have a right angle drive for my Dremel. Ony use it about once a year but worth every penny.

Edited By Peter Miller on 30/01/2021 13:31:27

Yes, motor shafts are often very hard and quite brittle which explains why they sometimes break rather than bend. Instead of a hacksaw a new fine triangular section file could be used to carefully cut a groove around the circumference of the shaft. Once completed the excess length can just be broken off with a pair of pliers and the shaft end tided up after.

A Dremel with a suitable cutting disc would be my weapon of choice however.

Good tip of the plastic bag to protect the motor, Peter. yes

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 30/01/2021 13:39:23

Assembly complete.

img_20210202_081726566.jpg

I was going to make the undercarriage but I would have to do that in the garage, using the large fixed vice, then it started snowing. For some reason that put me off, must be an age thing.

Also Rx to install, control horns and push rods to do. I should have that done before lockdown ends.

Cheers beer

Steve

Hi Steve,

Great job!

A note on ball joints; they do mask a problem a little. If you look at your rudder snake, it is not perpendicular to the hinge line. This means it will tighten up as it moves away from the centre point. This is because as the rudder moves through it's arc, the horn height remains constant relative to the ground. However, your snake will get closer to the ground as it pulls and further as it pushes. With a clevis, this would have been very noticeable as it will jam quickly. This is definitely lessened with a ball joint, but the problem is geometric, so still exists!

Listen for your servo stalling at each end of the movement. If it is, it is an indication that it is tightening up and this may cause the ball joint to pop out.

In an ideal world, if the snake or pushrod is perpendicular to the hinge line, the control run will be smooth throughout it's arc, and you can use whatever termination you like!

Graham

Graham you are not the first to comment about my covering. This one was going to be simply all red then I found some blue I wanted to use up and also yellow. With nothing better to do I thought I would have some more practice for the next build.

Oddly I have never found covering difficult but I have improved with every build, this being my sixth. On my fifth the Ballerina I went to town with multicolours. It does create positive comments. Most people are very generous with their praise.

Today I have been installing servo arms, RX and ESC,

img_20210203_193620482.jpg

All tested with my TX and working. smiley

What's left to do?

Wing controls and undercarriage. The flight line beckons, I wish, as we all do.

Cheers beer

Steve

• 7 months later...