Swizzle Stick

EarlyBird

Wings and fuselage!

A touch of the blues today, no not winter blues but dark blues.

I have been struggling with a roll of this for ages, it is a real pain getting the backing off, so I decided to use it up.

img_20210119_182404915.jpg

That's the wings and fuselage started, the wings look black but it's a trick of the light.

Unfortunately there is still some dark blue left on the roll sad

Red tomorrow smiley

Cheers beer

Steve

Yes that works a treat on every covering I have except the HK Dark Blue. There must be something different, I know it does not have the white glue. Old stock? It's a puzzle.

The solution for me is not to buy anymore. Which is not a problem as I don't particularly like that colour.

Red today smiley the backing comes away very easily.

Cheers beer

Steve

I have come across the same problem with some covering film and the 2 pieces of sticky tape trick just doesn’t work. What I now do is gently stick the point of a (scalpel) blade through the backing near an edge, then rotate the knife. The backing gets rolled around the blade peeling itself away from the film. Just don’t stab yourself when your doing it!

Edited By Ron Gray on 20/01/2021 07:55:38

It worked and the fuselage is covered. smiley happy days.

img_20210122_153325415.jpg

It's all covered, except the hatch and that will not take long. Yellow I think. I am also thinking of a yellow strip across the wing to join the yellows up. After that is fitting hinges and hardware. It's beginning to feel like the flight line is calling. Just the lock down is the only problem.

Back to the RF-4 in the mean time.

Cheers beer

Steve

More work on the wings. Servos and ailerons fitted.

img_20210124_182504928.jpg

img_20210124_182540830.jpg

I have also been looking at a motor, ESC and propeller. In your article Peter you advise a .25 glow with 10x4 propeller, the low pitch intended to keep the speed down. My thoughts are a 3541 1250kv motor on 3S and 10x5 propeller, Simply because that's what 4-Max have.

Any thoughts anyone?

All of my aeroplanes so far have had a steerable tailwheel. I have worked out how to fit one but then I thought I had better check on YouTube. Now I know why they all have skids.

I am still thinking about how to fix the battery hatch but I have to make a decision because soon that is all that will be left to do.

No worries there is plenty of time. crying

Cheers beer

Steve

I will go for that then Peter except 1270kv which will give 15,000 - 16,000 max revs which is about the max revs of a 25 Glow engine is it not?

I am putting a 4-Max equipment list together.

Elevator hinged.

But img_20210125_162304017.jpg

Yes a bit fell off, as my operatives would say. I have decided to take my neighbours advice and take up fishing because like him I could go fishing. Only joking laugh

As I have never broken anything before I do not know how to fix it. Glue and splints?

Cheers beer

Steve

Don't forget when loaded with a prop, the motor will run slower, rule of thumb - that kv figure needs to be toned down to about 80%, so 3 x 4.2 x 1270 x 0.8 = 12800rpm.

On 3S with a 10x5 that's probably quite close to a 30 glow.

You might want a lower pitch, maybe 10x4 to start with.

See what the wattmeter says. If you don't have one - they're very useful.

Thanks Guys,

KC and Trevor,

I can see a way forward now. I have found carbon rod and ply, tomorrow when my brain is refreshed I will have a go at a repair.

Nigel R,

Peter suggests a 25 or 30 glow he used a 28 glow with a 10x4. All good information and I like plenty of power, infinite verticals then I can try prop hanging. Looking forward to this. I will have some fun experimenting with the setup, just what I enjoy the most.

I have cheered up now smiley

I was a bit down in the dumps, I just don't like breaking things and I tend to take it to heart. It was suggested to me, by a club mate, that maybe I had chosen the wrong hobby. It hurts to start with then the challenge of fixing it takes over followed by the elation that comes when it flies again. It's all part of the fun.

Cheers beer

Steve

Actually it was a 25 glow. The 28 was a missprint I suspect.

A minor breakage during building is nothing.

Just say a rude word and get on with patching it up.

Try designing and when you find that you made a mistake in the drawings and have to do some modifications during construction. THEN you can feel annoyed with yourself.