E-flite 2021 Catalogue

Hi John Tee

Ta for the info. I will have to have a dig around to find out how....or even use the telephone!

As regards the EFlite debate, what seems expensive to one person will not necessarily seem so to another. My only concern is that the technology could fool users into thinking they can fly capably sooner than they can in reality.... e.g. 'learn to fly' with a foamy edf then progress to something heavier and faster without all the gizmos and become a danger to others. But I am an old fuddy-duddy smiley

GG

Advert

Posted by Matt Carlton on 19/12/2020 01:17:07:

I'm a little confused. The details of the product are the same I would assume, regardless of whether a particular advert explicitly mentions them? It's not the advertisement that I was referring to, it is the product.

What are you defending? The advert? The technology? I'm unclear as to why my rather tongue in cheek and scrooge-esque opinion of some of the tech on offer today is evidently rattling cages.

I'm not a big fan of SAFE or so on as training aids, or in general. I also think the prices are rather steep. Your mileage may vary, I'm not claiming my opinion to be the only one possible.

I also like to put cold brandy butter AND hot custard on my Christmas pudding at the same time. Doesn't mean I expect anyone else should do likewise 😊

I'm not defending anything.

The discussion was about the catalogue provided with the BMFA News which seems to have upset some people, judging by the reaction and ludicrous claims that it is putting people off from the hobby.,

The statement that you made about £1,000 foamies with autoland, GPS and return to home capabilities wasn't contained in the copy of the catalogue I have received. You stated a direct quote regarding the Apprentice STS and that also wasn't in the catalogue, as far as I can see. Now it appears that it wasn't a direct quote from that catalogue.

The technology is there for folks to use or not use as they see fit. It's not as if stability aids for flying are all that new - I remember Ripmax's HAL system in the 90's and gyros have been around for ages. No need to defend any of that technology. As it happens I have a few models with SAFE-equipped receivers, but have never activated it - some folks undoubtedly like it and that's fine. It takes all sorts.

My response was probably not particularly well thought out, I admit. It was a rather off the cuff remark which I should probably have kept to myself. I certainly didn't want to be inflammatory.

So, some people like the catalogue and what it represents, some people don't, for whatever reason.

As you say, it takes all sorts to make a world and thank goodness for that. It would be a dull world indeed if we all agreed all of the time.

Posted by leccyflyer on 18/12/2020 21:37:35:
Posted by Jason-I on 18/12/2020 21:01:35:
Posted by leccyflyer on 18/12/2020 08:44:38:

E-Flite are a reputable company, selling good quality products to a range of different modellers. They are not targeting beginners with their higher end models or putting them off the hobby.

I beg to differ. I still have a very bitter taste in my mouth after my dealings with Horizon Hobby. I will not buy any of their (overpriced ) products anymore, and would not recommend their products to anybody else either. Best avoided like the corona.....

Whereas my experience with E-Flite models in particular and Horizon Hobbies in general has been exemplary - high quality products and top quality service. I have no hesitation at all in recommending their products to anyone, having owned at least 15 of their models, multiple transmitters and receivers.

Glad you had a good experience, but in my 50 years on this planet, Horizon Hobby has been the single most worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. I have several outstanding issues that have never been resolved. In my experience they are a disgraceful company and I would not wish them on my worst enemy! Oh, and I used to spend thousands on their products. Wont put a single penny their way now.....

Edited By Jason-I on 19/12/2020 09:27:13

Glad you had a good experience, but in my 50 years on this planet, Horizon Hobby has been the single most worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. I have several outstanding issues that have never been resolved. In my experience they are a disgraceful company and I would not wish them on my worst enemy! Oh, and I used to spend thousands on their products. Wont put a single penny their way now.....

Edited By Jason-I on 19/12/2020 09:27:13

I'll second that awful money grabbing useless company, just sell over priced toy grade tat.

Yes, the prices are quite staggering. I like the T28 Trojan but the only one listed is huge, 2m span for 6S 4000 batteries and costs almost £700. They used to do a 1m T28 which flew with a 3S 2200, which most electric flyers already have. I knew someone who had one, it flew really well. Similarly with the old ‘Gunfighter’ P51. I flew one once, it was great. Just wish I had bought these models which were affordable then and a convenient size. They didn’t have SAFE or stabilisation either.

I really don;t think the 1.1m models need that SAFE technology TBH, they fly like they are on rails anyway. I repaired and refettled one of their earlier P-51s that I picked up at a clubmate's estate sale after he had passed on. I was there when he crashed the model and the front end was pretty bashed up. I had to replace some of the gear - the motor and some other bits, but never felt the need to activate the SAFE facility on the receiver, She's a very stable model that looks the part in the air.

I searched for years for an Eflite Hurricane 25, because I missed out on them first time round -when they were quite expensive. Nothing like the price of the larger foamies now, mind. She's a marvellous flyer too - with none of the new technology required.

efitehurribird.jpg

That one of a pair of the old Eflite Mini Edge 540's in my avatar, which just keeps on going - a really nice, well sorted model. Always ends up on her nose though.

All very good quality, well thought out, nicely presented models and a joy to put together and fly.

I have had a few from eflite :

Yak Umx

SS Cub umx

Sbach umx

A10 umx

P3 umx (only one I didn't like)

F16 umx

PT17 (currently out of action as I damaged the undercarriage and don't want to spend £50 replacing it)

Inverza 180

Mini Katana

Viking 180

All except the P3 were / are great. But prices have gone up so much, especially spares, and they have so much (often compulsory) technology I don't want or need, that I doubt I will get another. Unless it is something I just MUST have - like a 50mm edf Hunter or 1100mm SE5......

I have had 2 experiences with the company - both negative..... I asked (several times) for instructions on a discontinued esc and was continually pointed at instructions for its replacement; I had to point out that their description of the Umx F16 taileron replacement kit did jot match the actual box contents as it lacked the essential plastic elements - despite me sending photographs of description and reality, they would not listen. Not a great experience of much-vaunted American service!

Having said all that, some of their planes are tempting....devil

GG

Posted by Andy Stephenson on 18/12/2020 12:46:21:

I hope the BMFA get some income from distributing this catalogue but as far as I'm concerned it can go straight into the recycle bin. All that glitz has to be paid for somehow and is reflected in the prices.

What a thoroughly miserable post.

You do realise that Logic/Horizon will have PAID the BMFA for the distribution of the catalogue, thus helping to reduce your BMFA subs?

It's called 'advertising', without which we'd have no hobby at all...

I don't know so much about everything that I can't find anything of interest or new..... but, it must cost money to produce the magazine, and I'd be quite happy if the BMFA kept that money. If the articles were on-line - great, I'd read and learn.

It may, of course be that the magazine makes money, but only based on a certain circulation, in which case, I'll happily receive the paper.

But, based on what I now, save the costs of printing......... and I am not nocking the content of the magazine in the slightest. Never have.

GG