Pace Makers and Radio Control Query

Keith Berriman

So a friend has spent most of the year building 2 new models and over £350 on a transmitter but rushed in hospital some weeks ago with heart problems and had to have an operation for a pace maker

His consultant has advised not to try go flying or testing his models untill he has read the instructions

Has anybody any experience or friends in the same situation flying when a pacemaker is fitted

I appreciate they can adjust the pace maker remotely by Bluetooth

Advert

There are a number of different pacemakers Keith, and they are tuned to the individual.

These operate successfully in all walks of life and generally you have just to avoid proximity to high powered inductors.

Typically, most homes have wifi, as well as in the street and On public transport. These pose no threat.

When fitted, you are told what your pacemaker does and what to avoid.

You need to decide which type of device is dealt with, as most pacemakers are set to idle until you need it.

Others run constantly to maintain the patient.

The patient should have been informed about their device.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 18/12/2020 21:04:17

Having implanted hundreds of pacemakers over 20 years and studied the effects of arc welding upon pacemaker function I would say the risks of flying using EU compliant gear are very small indeed. Going near a domestic router on 2,4 G is probably more dangerous. Nevertheless most pacemaler manufacturers would advise keeping a distance of 30 cm between the transmitter ariel and the pacemaker. The implanting hospital or the pacemaker manufacturer should be able to provide more information ,although these understandably tend to err on the side of caution.

I had a pacemaker a couple of years ago, fitted Thursday flying Saturday. I asked the surgeon when he was operating about radio control mainly on 2.4 and he said he couldn't see any problems and he'd never heard of any.

I have a classic car restoration business and he advised I shouldn't do any form of electric welding, mig tig or stick which suits me as I hate welding, just means someone else has to do it, he also advised not to get close to running alternators. In the house he advised not to get to close to microwaves so she has do do all the cooking as I also told her I couldn't go near cookers or kettles as well, result.