Laser Pointer

Andy J

Pondering how a laser pointer could be used as an alignment aid for a building board.

Thinking along the lines that a fixed position laser could act as a reference line say for the centre of the fuselage or the leading / trailing edge of the wing. So would this work or is is just a high tech replacement for a ruler and pencil?

Aware that the majority of cross hair laser markers sold for building work have quite a thick beam so how would I narrow down any resulting beam from say a cheap laser pointer?

Edited By Andy Joyce on 29/12/2020 16:46:37

Advert

Certainly some form of fine position adjustment would be required as I find its a bit difficult to position a builders cross hair laser and assume a laser pointer would even be more prone to movement.

From recent wallpaper experience I think my old plumb bomb works better than the line drawn by the laser as found the beam too wide. On the plus side it did do a good job of making sure a 2.4m square concrete slab was level for my new workshop.

Diffraction puts a minimum possible size on a laser beam. For a red laser beam to stay about the same size for about 2m it needs to be 1mm diameter. Builders lasers are set to larger diameter to work for longer distances. Eyes are remarkably good and consistent at judging the centre of something, so a 1mm wide line can give better than 0.1mm alignment.

A telescope-type theodolite can see small features much better because it has a large lens. But then it needs to be re-focused for different distances.

I have a cross hair laser, use it all the time when building for checking things (e.g. when mounting wings/tailplane/fin can be checked against the already mounted fuse/wings/tailplane/fin).

A pointer i've never used, but often considered it would be useful in awkward situations, e.g. you could install the engine, hang the laser pointer on a skyhook pointing down the needle valve barrel, then mount the cowl, and the pointer thus indicates exactly where the drill the hole. Same idea could work on wing mounting bolts, remote switches, pushrod exits.... Funny, it's the lack of a skyhook that has prevented me from actually doing it though.

Posted by Andy Joyce on 30/12/2020 09:47:12:

Kevin, fail to see how the 3 units improve accuracy, as there is no means to ensure the beams are parallel to each other.

Just set them along the lines of the plan. So if the plan were to be wrong.

Looked straight enough and it flew straight and level off the board.

By no means a scientific approach.

Kev