Galaxy Models Mystic or Phoenix for a Laser 155.

On 27/11/2023 at 12:52, David Davis said:

I am going to give the cowlings to a bloke in the club who is the panelbeater with the local Volkswagen agency!

Hi Dave . Ask your mate if he can spray the cowl with single stage 2k paint. If painted with base and clear the base coat can be attacked on edges by glow fuel residue then bubbles and lifts slowly creeping underand lifting the fuel proof clearcoat. Ask me how I know? Water based base coats may be ok but polyester just melts with glowfuel (methanol) . 

Edited by Engine Doctor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Yesterday I hinged the rudder and elevator to the model. I used large Kavan pinned hinges and for the first time I used De Luxe Materials Superphatic glue as the adhesive. I had been impressed by the quality of this glue when building a wing for my Baron which featured depron wing ribs, also a first for me. Previously I had always used epoxy as the glue for hinges and I'd always applied some form of grease to the pivot before applying the glue. I usually used butter for this purpose! As Superphatic is a water based glue I did not bother with greasing the pivot. I placed five spots of Superphatic on each side of one leaf of each hinge. These were then inserted into the tailplane. Five more spots on each side of the other leaf then I fitted the elevator. I did the same with the rudder. By yesterday evening I was able to lift the model and wag it about holding on to the rudder and elevator! Thats without any pins or cocktail sticks. Note the usual immaculately tidy workshop!

Having turned 76 earlier in the month I have decided to treat myself and the model to a white GRP undercarriage from Carbon Copy.

Elevator and rudder hinged.JPG

New glues.JPG

Edited by David Davis
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

After weeks on very little activity I have made considerable progress in the building of the Mystic over the last few days mainly by laying off the vino!  The white undercarriage from Carbon Copy turned up and it's a lovely piece of kit however, it looks too small for the model. This is my fault for not reading the dimensions properly. A rather heavy undercarriage from my WOT 4 XL, which went up in flames in the Great St Valentine's Day LiPo Explosion was fitted and I the rear wheel assembly was taken from my ARTF Acrowot which I landed in a tree, depth perception not being my strong suit! I'm not sure it's heavy enough for the job. All of the control surfaces are now hinged and the servos have been installed. I am trying out Savox metal geared servos on the control surfaces for the first time. They seem to be well made. I still need to make a hatch for the underside between the firewall and the main former.

However, last night, with the engine and all servos in place and the rx battery temporarily taped into postion, I decided to check the centre of gravity. I was expecting the model to be nose heavy because the Laser 155 is so much heavier than a 61 two stroke for which the Mystic was designed. However, I found the opposite to be true, it's tail heavy. None of the horns or pushrods have been fitted but they will only exacerbate the situation. I suppose I could add lead to the nose and remove it after flight testing. Alternatively I could move the rudder and elevator servos from the rear fuselage and install them in a more conventional position above the wing alongside the throttle servo. I will borrow the club's cg contraption to ascertain the precise position of the balance point because I've only been able to use my finger tips so far.

At the moment the undercarriage is bolted into place with nylon bolts. Would steel bolts be a better option? My landings are not too bad these days but my first landing with this model will be its maiden landing and if I cannot manage to land it on our 8 metre-wide tarmac runway, there's a fair chance of my catching a wheel in a mole hole in the grass strip alongside.

As ever, the views of the cognoscenti are keenly sought.

PS. The cockpit is only resting in position in the picture below, it's not glued in place. I was expecting the model to be nose heavy so bought a pilot. He is quite big and heavy but I suppose I'll have to leave him out now that the model has turned out to be tail heavy.

On its wheels.JPG

• Like 1

Looking good David. With mine I had thought about rear mounted servos but had decided against it, you have confirmed my views, so thanks for that! I would stick with metal bolts for the U/C rather than nylon, unless you are coming in very, very fast the risk of ripping the U/C out should be very low to a man of your calibre. I've added flaps to my build to assist with the landing speed, goodness knows how well they will perform.

PS I like the wing to fuse fillet mod you've done, I may have to copy that!

PPS Servo lead poking out. 😉

Edited by Ron Gray

Here is my Mystic taken after another good flying session last week. It gets regular use and is a smooth easy to fly plane. I have tail mounted servos  and power is an OS 120AX  with added nose weight. A laser 155 would be nicer (or a 160 twin😊) but I don’t have one spare .
My undercarriage is from a Wot 4XL but reversed to sweep back due to its fixing position.
My C of G is currently as per the plan but I will probably reduce nose weight a bit and bring it back as the plane requires a fair bit of forward stick when inverted. It knife edges very well and rolls smoothly. coming in it does float a fair bit especially coming in with light winds. but I can soon stop that by engaging the “up flapperons” that I also use on my Acrowot. 
Happy flying all! 

IMG_2746.jpeg

IMG_3681.jpeg

Edited by Tim Flyer
Added photo
  • Like 1

Regarding the wing fairing fillet in my kit I think it was a block of balsa and I think some thin ply that I stuck to the fuselage side to make a smoother curve after adding the wings.  I then trimmed and sanded it to match the wing . That part of the build was slightly fiddly . 

IMG_2507.jpeg