RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

As Danny says, we have to wait a bit and see where this goes. I'm not against cutting out all of the bits but quite honestly, time is a problem and if we can't get the pre-cut wood pack it might kill it for me. However, hopefully that won't be the issue, as Danny says someone else can do it. I used my credit card to do the purchase so the money should come back.

Advert

Hi

Ref Traplet orders - did anyone who ordered get by phone wiith them get an order reference or number ?

I ordered by phone last week and was told some of the items would be in stock, others like the woodpack had to be ordered / manufactured by Traplets supplier.

I have not received anything yet and presume for the time being I won't.

Anyone have any idea who their wood cutter or cowl / spinner supplier is ? They might be able to help us ?

Martin

... I didn't even start to 'finish' anything... as nothing got here in BE from the seller to even start thinking about how to finish it...

Hoping for the best in due time with this unusual 'situation'.

And, no I didn't got any order reference/shipping confirmation either so far.

Cheers

Chris

Just to let you all know that several people have contacted me, in the background, offering help with getting parts and plans sorted. The loan of a cowl to copy etc. It is very kind of you all and just shows what we are made of. If Traplet doesn't come through for us we will find a way, never fear.

Cheers

Danny

Hi. Fingers still crossed but if we don't get our parts then I'm still willing to Cary on.

I'm happy to cut my own parts, just thought I would have enough to do with all the metal bits, which is why I ordered the wood pack. I'm sure I could vac form a spinner, there's a new challenge for a start, maybe even a cowl but that's a long way off.

I will need a good copy of a plan though and that I will need help with. I have seen offers of help and am grateful as I know this will all mean a lot of work for somebody they haven't bargained for.

Nev.

The amount if time I actually fly Dave I don't think it will matter.

I love building and I have to fly them or I wouldn't consider a project finished but once they've flown successfully including a bit of trimming and feteling then I lose interest.

I was considering packing it in, only because I'm running out of storage space, but including the scale details extends the build process, so win win. The downside with yellow is it an absolute *** to get an even paint job.

Nev.

Indeed a "nice find", Colin. yes

As the only Belgian Fury was in fact an ex-SAAF 'Hardy' - and was wrecked in May 1940 somewhere in ex-Belgian Congo - I was thinking of going the Spanish way as well.

fury_spanish_republican.jpg

I found this to possibly become my subject. But then that Dowty u/c might be a huge problem (to me).

Or maybe I could try to have the 4316 sent back to Belgium from the Gambela Airfield and give it a try to 'resurrect' it ... wink

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Danny Fenton on 21/07/2017 23:19:51:

Just to let you all know that several people have contacted me, in the background, offering help with getting parts and plans sorted. The loan of a cowl to copy etc. It is very kind of you all and just shows what we are made of. If Traplet doesn't come through for us we will find a way, never fear.

Cheers

Danny

Take care Danny, that kindness and good will might well constitute copyright infringement.......

Nev, the yellow and aluminium finish would look great.

Chris, the Spanish version is my choice. The undercarriage might not be a problem, even without sprung wheels. As long as there is some fore and aft shock absorption in the legs, i.e. at the point where they connect to the fuselage, it should be ok. Most of the damage I do to undercarriages is caused by bending them back rather than by vertical loading! However if I can find a way to engineer some spring into a wheel then I will.

As far as Traplet is concerned, I checked my MasterCard account and my payment of £156.50 was made on 13 July. I have received no order acknowledgement and nothing has been delivered, so I don't expect that I will receive anything now.

I don't think the Dowty sprung wheel will be very practical at 1/6th scale. I've thought about it for a long time in relation to the Gladiator and decided that a better route would be to use simple straight sprung oleos, which is what the Flair PT-17 Stearman used. More up-to-date, the Seagull Stearman reviewed in the current August RCME also uses a straight sprung oleo. A couple of the pics in the review indicate that with Fury leg fairings, the Seagull Stearman setup wouldn't be too far removed from that of the Fury, especially if the lower leg was extended with wire thick enough for the wheel axle, bent to the correct elegant curved shape in front view and faired with, say, balsa.

I never worked out how to secure the top of the leg in the fuz, or how to source the oleos which probably could be home-made anyway, but both Flair and Seagull have cracked that, whilst the Robart website features PT-17 sprung oleos with brackets welded to the upper ends.  Although the Robart, Flair and Seagull legs have scissor anti-rotation links,these would be replaced by a screw head sliding in a slot in the outer oleo tube which is presumably what the Hobbyking legs use. 

Just a thought.

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 24/07/2017 22:28:02

I'll be disappearing off on on holiday in the next couple of weeks. While away, I was thinking of producing a set of CAD files for wing ribs and formers.

My thoughts are rather than use balsa for the parts I would go for hollowed out 3mm liteply instead. I have used these on a few models recently, there is no significant difference in weight and I actually find the Liteply much easier to work with and more robust.. Things in birch ply would be exactly as per plan

Things that may change may be aileron linkages etc but could accommodate different ideas within the same CAD file so you can pick and choose.

It will be a basic set, and possibly not as expansive as the Traplet set but would be considerably cheaper, possibly about £60 per set (price estimate based on my experience with laser cutters) but would probably be cheaper with a bulk order. I could get economies of scale by putting several multiples of parts on one sheet.

Anyone here interested in a set or having a balsa v liteply debate?

Martyn