RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Hi kc, if I understand this correctly say I ordered a plan from traplet and a wood pack, canopy and a vac formed cowel . The plan supplied by traplet would be covered but the wood pack, canopy , cowel potentially supplied by third party suppliers would not. So if this is correct to get maximum pay pal/credit card cover it is best to deal directly with the supplier ? 😯

Paul.

Thank you for the chargeback link KC.

I did indeed pay by debit card over the phone and thought I had lost the money. Just completed the online claim form with my bank however, so might not all be lost after all.

If I get my 150 quid back I'll get the beers in next time I see you. 😉

Nev.

Thanks Martyn I was not aware of significant differences between a mk1 nimrod and a mk1 fury. However i was trusting information found on a site dealing with the full size aircraft. I have 3 views for both and the span and length are identical???? I am away from home so cannot check at the mo, but thx for the heads up, I can see I need to do more research.
Cheers
Danny

Posted by Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services on 09/08/2017 14:47:56:

... fully CADed up ready for laser cutting....cough cough splutter splutter smile p

... well, I'm not from Barcelona, but could a gentle soul please explain what the meaning is of "cough cough splutter splutter"... does it need some antibiotics... ??? ...

Thanks & Cheers

Manuel

Chris

Hi all. New member here. This past February I had ordered and took delivery of the Bryant Fury Mk 1 short kit plus cowl and spinner. Doing some research on the topic I discovered this forum. A question I have regards electric power for this kit. Has anyone come up with a motor prop combination to use? My best guess as a starting point was for a motor of around 1000 watts on a 6s lipo and a prop 13"-14" dia.? I already have a Castle Phoenix Edge 100 amp ESC for it.

I have no ambitions to start construction any time soon as there are just too many pokers in my fire at the moment, but like to plan my builds out well in advance.

Thanks for any insights, and best wishes to all who get started on this project.

I have done a little more research into the differences betweenthe Fury and the Nimrod and they are a bit too much to work for an accurate scale model. However a stand off model of a Nimrod 1 would be difficult to tell as incorrect. The wings were 3 foot longer, the chord increased. It seems the tailplane was also increased to match the greater wing area. The spread of the undercarriage was enlarged and the wheel size increased. But other than that only minor changes

Hi Rem, welcome to the mad crowd. You are a little early to be raising that subject as we are a way off, however I have ordered a motor and am going to do some testing over the winter using a 5S 5000 pack and a 21" prop. I wont say what motor just yet but your estimate of around 1kW should be about right

I would seriously suggest a much bigger prop than you are thinking, and lower rpm (lower cell count).

big x slow = efficient

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 10/08/2017 22:50:47

That Gold's design is a very nice model and flies superbly.

Thanks for the feedback on the motor / prop question. I was basing that guesstimate on a model that I currently fly, a Great Planes WACO YMF5 that was converted to fly electric instead of the recommended 30cc IC engine. Specs for the model are a wingspan of 72", wing area of 1384 sq/in and an all up flying weight of approx 13.8 lbs. The WACO is powered with an E-Flite Power 110 on 8s 3300 mah battery (actually two 4s 3300 mah packs series together) turning an APC 17x8 prop. Actual inflight data yields a modest draw of about 13.5 amps avg for cruising, and a max draw of 49.3 amps. Realistic 8 minute flight times are no problem with enough reserve to make an aborted landing a non issue.

I felt that with the Fury being a few pounds lighter than my WACO, 1000 watts would be just about right. Will have to go back to the plans to get an idea of prop dia. The WACO can readily handle an 18`prop, but the 18 incher will mow the dandelions with ease on the take off run when the tail comes up.

Great information Rem thanks. There are many ways to skin a cat wth electric setups as you know. The scale size prop for the 1/6 Fury is around 21" if my maths are correct. I dare say I will be the only one to go that far, as there is significant torque with a prop that size.

Oh by the way the model is flown by Bob Partington I believe. Seems odd that he is not credited on the video, I met Bob at a Greenacres Electric Fun Fly a few years back.

Bob flew a lovely YT Spitfire in formation with David Ormes big electric Lancaster and if memory serves John Ransons Brian Taylor Electric Spit MkIX.

Cheers

Danny

We have arrived home after a nice cruise that took us to St. Petersburg. I was worried that WW3 might be declared and I would end up in the Gulag. Fortunately it did not happen and we found people that spoke excellent English and were very friendly, putting us to shame. If they had known that I was going home to a kit of the Spanish Fury sent from the Ukraine, they might not not have been so helpful! Anyway, this looks quite good and will certainly be a great help. img_2065.jpgimg_2066.jpgimg_2067.jpgimg_2068.jpgimg_2074.jpgimg_2075.jpgWeimg_2077.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some years ago a friend and i built an ME262 from scratch using lite ply for all rib the lite ply was first coated with glasscloth & epoky resin sheet was held flat until fully cured this prevented any warps and meant we could cut more away without losing any strength

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 14/09/2017 11:14:25

Hi all

Taken delivery of the Fury parts from Sarik.

I guess its old Traplet stock

Same problem with the spinner - its over size. I have raised the issue with Sarik who are looking at manufacture of a new batch sized to the cowl. Timescale unclear at this time but they seem keen to resolve the issue.

I was surprised at the cowl size, I expected it to be full size ie back to the cockpit (it that makes sense) but in fact its just the front end of the cowl, looks a little like a hurricane cowl.

cheers

Martin

Have been reading with interest comments on lite ply-balsa some time ago while building from scratch aME262 with afriend we made all our formers &ribs from lite ply skinned both sides with glasscloth &epoxy resin this was held flat for a few days until fully cured this meant we could remove more material without losing any strength and also keep a good sharp profile just a thought Cliff

Hi to all,

@ Martin Fane > as you seem to have received your cowl & spinner from Sarik Hobbies, did you have the plan & wood kit in order as well?

Did anyone else receive some parts from Sarik? Plans? Wood?

I'm wondering - if they are planning to send out the former orders we had with Traplet - why didn't they give people a simple email to notify them of the follow up?

I didn't receive any email notice or parts so far.

Thanks & cheers

Chris

I spoke to Kevin at Sarik a couple of weeks ago. They acquired assets only from Traplet, they have no knowledge of or responsibility for the previous order book. I am also still waiting for my money back from the credit card company, having supplied all of the information that they requested. I'm not going to order anything until I get that back.

Thank you both for answering, gents.

I had a slightly optimistic 'light-in-the-tunnel' feeling after reading Martin's post... but I'm back to earth now.

I also went on with filling in the claim form from the card company some time ago but still waiting for some news as well.

Is there some news/decision regarding an alternative short kit/wood pack? Martyn's CAD files? Leon/Belair? Dylan/Lasercraft?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, as long as Sarik are producing them it is difficult to know what to do. We have many options, Dylan and belair have offered to cut them but I don't have a price, this is the same for all the other people that are offering. Of course they want the business I am just not sure what to say, but I am open to suggestions on what we should do?

I am happy to send a cutting file to SLEC for the hinges to be CNC'd but I really do not want to get embroiled in a kit cutting exercise, and i also do not want to cad the plans. I simply haven't got time.

Cheers

Danny