RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

I ordered 4 5S2700 packs on the 6th, from the NL warehouse of our friends at HobbyKing, they arrived this afternoon!! I am pleased to say the dimensions and weight are correct (well weight is 336g) But that's close enough for me

I think Mr Sephton is doing his IC

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 08/06/2018 18:34:56:

I ordered 4 5S2700 packs on the 6th, from the NL warehouse of our friends at HobbyKing, they arrived this afternoon!! I am pleased to say the dimensions and weight are correct (well weight is 336g) But that's close enough for me

I think Mr Sephton is doing his IC

Cheers

Danny

Why 4 Danny are 2 for back up and are you set on the motor is it the one to go for ?

Posted by Danny Fenton on 08/06/2018 22:50:07:
Yes the Turnigy motors. I have only ever had one fail, but i dont stress my gear very hard

Ah good they are affordable and I like them, by the way by my reckoning a 20" prop only has a 2" ground clearance that should be interesting

Posted by Danny Fenton on 09/06/2018 12:03:16:
Biplanes are new territory for me so we will have to see if my gut feelings hold true. I got it wrong on a flair Baronette triplane i built a few years back. So please say if you disagree

Heck i don't know I've never built a bipe   either but I guess it depends on the flying site ie tufty grass etc and maybe sudden unexpected molehill

Edited By Martian on 09/06/2018 13:13:56

Can’t make up my mind yet. (Steam)?! I use electric all of the time for my cooking flyers up to 55” span but still have an aversion to large batteries and charging paraphernalia. Also the jiggery pokery in getting the batteries inside the nose sounds like a lot of messing about. For a model like this I prefer I/C but the exhaust is always an issue. Still thinking about it.

Still thinking about it. Very tempted with the RCV90SP but electric is a possibility.

The two big problems we need to resolve are:

• Battery access - I cant see an easy way of doing this without dismantling
  • Cooling - electric and an enclosed IC engine will have the same issues.

If someone had a spare RCV90SP they wanted to part with at a reasonable price then I could be very tempted..

Martyn

Hi Martian, I am thinking along the lines of cutting the glass cowl, or making a wooden one. The bulges are easily made from litho as seperate items. Whatever I use for the cowl it will need extending back to the forward cabane struts. Hinges are a mare, neodimium magnets work really well, and I have never had one come off

Cheers

Danny

Detachable cowl top secured with magnets as Danny said, plus a couple of dress snaps one per side for extra security, has worked well on my 1/5th scale Tiggie since about the year 2000. She's been flown on 20-cell nicads and nimh with geared Maxcim inrunner, 6S lipos and Axi 4130/16, and at present on 5S lipos and Hacker A50-14S. The chute carrying the batts is fretted-out liteply and has taken all the changes in its stride. Model still going strong these days. The batts drop down from where shown in the pic into the horizontal chute, and fasten to the base of the chute with a short velcro strip to stop them sliding about fore and aft (and make them easy to lift out), and with a velcro strap over to stop them leaving their place in outside loops and inverted flight.

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 11/06/2018 13:33:10

Chris Bott got some pics of the Fury at Cosford on Sunday, in fact a terrific profile shot from far away which is really good for reference.

I am pretty sure (looking at the fasteners) that there are no hinges on these cowls

Thanks Gordon, I was hoping you were still keeping an eye on us, your expertise and watchful eye is very much appreciated. I will be nicking ideas from your book all the way through this build

Cheers

Danny