MF's Hawker Fury Mk1

Advert

Posted by Martin Fane on 01/02/2020 11:17:01:

A question for Danny, are you applying rib tapes to both upper and lower surfaces of both wings ?

Hi Martin, only the upper surfaces I reckon, don't forget the diagonals though, where the fabric sections were joined together

You have inspired me to extract my digit. But other comitments are stopping me getting back on mine. I will catch you up though!

Have you glued the tail-plane, elevator, fin and rudder in place yet?

I would suggest you do all the rigging before any further paint, just in case something needs adjusting.

Cheers

Danny

• 2 months later...

Happy Easter fellow Fury builders

Having earned some build time in exchange for household DIY decided to have a go at wheel covers and progress the landing gear.

Wanted to have a go at litho bashing for the covers so here goes:

Suitably sized pieces of annealed lithoplate clamped between ply sheets with suitable sized cutouts then start gently working the metal

wheel hub 1.jpg

The metal is "dishout out" to a suitable depth and shape, the front and rear covers being different shapes

wheel hub 2.jpg

When the metal is suitably shaped I decided to fill the dish with lightweight filler to get some protection from deforming the shape, I have also used a backing peice of proskin or 1/16th ply.

wheel hub 3.jpg

Front and back views of the nearly finished outboard covers.

The cutout for the inflation valve cap access has been added. Still some detail to be added to simulate what I think are the wheel retainer nut caps and the rings of bolts.

wheel hub 4.jpg

And a trial fit

wheel hub 5.jpg

wheel hub 6.jpg

The wheels are retained on the axle using small collets / grub screws. The covers will be "fixed" using a small amount of silicon sealant so easy to remove.

Also started to build up the landing gear strut fairing - shaped balsa for this.

wheel hub 7.jpg

Now for the oleo upper fairings crying.......

Happy easter egg eating to all

cheers

Martin

Hi Martin, my build will be stand well off scale yours puts mine to shame. I will not be going down the same road as I fly (don't know when again) only at the local club field. I would like to fit oleo's and looking at yours are they the standard type which have the stub axle hole in the bottom at right angles? with the grub screw hole drilled out to take the lower part of the u/c leg or are they made that way. All the ones I have seen advertised show the stub axle at rt. angles.

Eric r.

Danny, Jose - thanks for looking in and comments chaps - really appreciate it.

Eric, the oleos I used are standard HK items as you describe with holes drilled for axles at 90 degrees.

Again as you observed, I had the lower grub screw holes drilled out to allow fitment of a piano wire extension with the axle mount plate silver soldered on.

This photo of the inner wheel cover painted flat aluminium (tamiya acrylic) shows the oleo extension, also some of the landing gear strut and axle fairing - these are shaped balsa bound in solatex and painted flat aluminium. I think the effect is not as subtle as hoped for but OK I hope.

inner wheel cover.jpg

Gave the oute wheel covers a coat of Klasskote trainer yellow along with the centre wing section, the rib tape effect using lightweight tissue is quite subtle smiley

yellow cover.jpg

cabane yellow.jpg

Revisited the cabane and landing gear strut rigging wires, my attempt with soldered wire was not a success so used some closed loop wire with crimped brass ferrules, these are covered in black shrink sleeve as an attempt to simulate some sort of full size "fitting" question

cabane rigging.jpg

And had a go at starting the pilots windshield area, first some shaped (using some grit paper taped on the fuselage) blasa as the wooden mounting frame, some clear sheet to be shaped next....

screen mount.jpg

Come on Danny - need you back on this build..................

Edited By Martin Fane on 17/04/2020 16:55:51

Thanks Martin, I thought that was the way to go but did not want to buy them till I was sure. Just a thought I could be wrong but I one of the photos the oleo's look fully compressed and if the plane is not complete when the extra weight is added there will be a strain on the sliding screws at the top of the slot. Possibly stronger springs or packing to stiffen them. Echoing Danny's remarks ,Really nicely done I must try harder with mine.

Kind regards Eric.

Hi All

Lockdown and working from home have allowed some more progress.

Windscreen and frame cut from perspex and lithoplate, the frame was then fixed to the perspex using translucent silicon sealant.

screen.jpg

Then fixed to the simulated wooden mount.

screen on.jpg

Very standoff ish but slowly getting through more bits and pieces.

Maybe some more paint tomorrow ?????

cheers

Martin

Hi All

A bit more progress with some scalish bits and pieces. Applied some of the panels and hatches. All using cut and shaped lithoplate. Rivets to come...........

footholes.jpg

panels tail.jpg

panels front.jpg

And some priming, interesting to see the weight gain, lets see what the top coat adds crying

tail dry.jpg

tail primed.jpg

Are we tempting you back Danny wink

cheers

Martin

Edited By Martin Fane on 23/04/2020 14:27:42

Hi Martin, very impressed with the finish and the litho parts the wing fillet looks great is that litho covered? interesting the weight of the tail plane mine is complete with elevator and covered with Oratex and weighs 97g., so when yours is complete and painted it should be about the same.

Eric.

Martian, Eric

Thanks, yes i want this finished too, made some progress but about 75% still to do surprise

Danny

Good, thought I might be in detention for adding too much weight. Strangely the top coat of yellow only added 3 grammes.

It is Klasskote I'm using, really nice stuff, glad I listened to you and decided to use it. also a big thanks to Phil at FighterAces for his advice on using it.

So the tail is painted now, this came out at 94grammes so same as Erics Oracover version ?

stab painted.jpg

And the tail feathers trial fitted, starting to come together now.....

tail painted.jpg

Definately going to have to move to the gun rather than airbrush for the fuselage and wings.

cheers

Martin

Thanks Guys

Just to say, I thought the lightweight tissue used for the rib tapes might "disappear" under the paint - well pleased to say it didn't, the effect is very subtle - better than i have previously been able to acheive. I think the Klasskote covers so nicely it does not have to be a thick coat so the tapes still show.

Shame i didnt do the stiches crying

cheers

Martin

PS - still waiting for updates Danny wink 2

Edited By Martin Fane on 25/04/2020 19:51:24