MF's Hawker Fury Mk1

Advert

Thanks Martin, I had seen page 25 but it must have slipped my memory. easily done these days. I do recall seeing a biplane when I was young about the beginning of the war. It was a fine summers day and we were playing in the garden of our next door neighbour when this plane flew over very very low it was either a Hind or a Fury, there was only one person in it, it was R.A.F. trainer yellow with the front silver. The noise was deafening it stuck in my memory forever.

• 2 weeks later...

hi All

Seems to be a lot more activity on the fury builds which is great to see, moved on with a few details bits whilst I shy away from the wing rigging wires crying I'm planning to go with the MR parts once I build up courage to try some silver soldering.............

So to make some progress, Wing "N" struts made up as per plan with ply and balsa and the brass end fittings pinned. As far as I can see from full size photos these are metal faired ?? so have sealed and primed them in anticipation of an aluminium topcoat.

wing struts.jpg

Also started the rad flaps, these are 1/64 ply with a small carbon rod secured down the centre line, both sides of the ply are then sheeted with 1/16 balsa which is shaped to an aerofoil sort of shape. quite a bit of finishing to to but you can get the idea. The rad slots will be disguised with some non scale panel effect ie foil or lithoplate.

Also started the rad heat exchanger

rad flaps.jpg

Lastly my attempt to reproduce the "leather" effect at the tail area strut / rigging wire attachment points.

strut pads.jpg

tail pads.jpg

Hi everyone

Thanks for the comments.

I'm basing this model on the yellow trainer K3736 but as there are not any actual photo's that I can find I'm using various other fullsize to come up with detail parts. I know - not proper scale sadbut I like to look at this as a learning exercise.

I did notice the rear strut positions on the plan dont really seem to line up properly with full size (but don't see any way around this as I have already added the rear fuselage access panel)

I will make the struts / wires to fit the actual fuselage / tail securing positions.

struts position.jpg

plan struts.jpg

Edited By Martin Fane on 11/05/2020 20:27:26

• 1 month later...

Greetings Fury builders

Well, spurned on by Dannys progress, I have moved on a bit as well.

I must say this build is proving taxing !!!!

One step forward, 2 back.......

Not happy with my original tyres which were rubber tube, they seemed to be flattening a bit too much ( perhaps I'm a heavy builder !!)

New tyres cut from MR foam - nice to work with, shaped on a mandrel in my drill, the original wheels were re used but 6 bolts instead of 3.

new tyre.jpg

Also rethought the oleo's, my litho skills proved insufficient so I have opted to fix the oleo and build the fairings around them, a combination of balsa frame, litho skin, filler, balsa block, foil and some nice aluminium paint on the middle section

new oleo.jpg

Have now finished the painting, KK trainer yellow, really nice paint to use

all painted.jpg

and assembled for inspiration

all yellow front.jpg

all yellow side.jpg

painter yellow above.jpg

Same problem with the stuts for me, with some makeshift wire rigging they keep popping out. Not sure where to go with this crying

struts.jpg

That looks fabulous Martin well done! Will look great when you get some roundels on to break up the yellow a bit.

You need a fair bit of tension in the rigging, all my wires twang dully.

I liked Erics idea of making a free turning clevice at one so you can just twist the wire and not remove the clevis to adjust, A nice cheap option. Worth a try to see if the struts are then more solid.

I like the oleos, Much more sensible than mine, and took a lot less time! yours will survive a bounce, I am not sure mine will

Again well done, really impressive

Cheers

Danny

Hi Martin, Flying my Piper Cub last week the weather was warm but grey skies, it has a yellow fus. and silver wings against the grey sky the wings were difficult to see. You have made a great choice with yours it will look great when the roundels are one. Actually it looks great now, The rigging is very important as the wings have very little strength, I am a bit apprehensive with mine and if I make another biplane I will use Mick Reeves rigging and silver solder the ends. Having said that mine survived a heavy landing one strut popped out but went back in again ok. Your wheels look good, I must do something with mine they don't look right.

Cheers Eric.

• 6 months later...

Hi All and HNY

Well back on the Fury, a big yellow canvas to tone down a bit.

So after studying Dannys detailing items I set about to copy as best I could.

Not to the same standard and a bit made up as I go along as I don't really have a subject to model:

pilot coaming.jpgCoaming from Vectorboard - magic stuff such a good leather effect angel

coaming lhs.jpg

Test fit of the pilot and a go at stiching through lithoplate.

tail rhs.jpg

A bit of colour to break up the yellow. Marking stencils from metamark paint mask cut on my Cameo plotter cutter.

The rigging wires are done using closed loop wire with 1/16 aluminium ferrules and a bit of black shrink sleeve.

Vector board again as the leather pads. The fake elevator control cables are from the thinnist piano wire I had.

tail lhs lower.jpg

Struts are 5/16 aluminium tube squished a bit to look slightly oval (thanks again Danny) and a bit more needlework

tail rhs.jpg

tail rhs lower.jpg

Slowly moving forward towards the instrument panel (not looking forward to cutting that shape) and exhaust stubs. Avoiding the wing wires as long as possible frown

Had another go at the wheel covers as i was ashamed of first go when I saw Dannys sad

Thicker lithoplate this time allows more of a dished effect to be formed. Some thin thithoplate discs, styrene hex nuts, styren tube and glue blob screws around the rim.

Much better this time I think, painted aluminium effect as I see different options for the yellow trainer version

wheel cover.jpg

new wheel cover.jpg

Next rigging avoidance scheme - will try the exhaust stubs angel