S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

Advert

Hi Danny.

I`m still in the background. My Fury is still missing the top wing. My eysight is not better tan before, so I have serious problems but decided to finish it. Probably I resume building next january.

I know the feeling when no one make comments on your own thread. I few years back I made a "Panther" autogiro designed by Richard Harris and didn`t received nil comments.

I`ve seen your videos on tissue covering, as has passed a long time when I used this technique. Also I`ve seen your video on fiberglassing and peel-ply application. Very entertaining. In the recpect I`d seen that you use latex gloves and these are no recommended actually, Better use the vinyl or nitrile variety.

Still pending to see the foil covering video. Also I`ve suscribed tou your channel.

Please keep coming.

Best Regards

José Luis

Spain. (now rainy)

Danny

Thanks for the videos, all very informative and really useful stuff.

Your progress / speed at progressing the build is astonishing !!

I'm progressing slowly with tissueing and glassing and foiling but nothing worth posting yet embarrassed

Waiting for a tissue delivery...........

If you need any idea's for the next video.........

How about forming lithoplate into those nose cowling upper blisters ??

cheers

Martin

Hi José, It does get a bit soul destroying. We asked the techies for a thumbs up many years ago to combat exactly that nil response feeling. But it would take money that just isn't available sadly.

Anyway back to the Fury, I am sorry to hear the eyesight isn't back up to scratch, and impressed that you are going to carry on anyway, well done

You have surprised me with the latex comment, showing my naivety, whats the issue with latex?

I grasped the nettle and did the other lower cowl cheek, changed the angle slightly, still ended up with a small tear. But at least this way the tear was underneath and less visible

408a.jpg

409.jpg

The underside is actually done in one piece on the full size, that's a leap too far for me.

So that's most of the metalwork done, (still have radiator, scoops and U/C to cover) the verdict is that Flite Metal is thicker than the Mick Reeves tape, which in turn is thicker than Halfords foil tape I would chose Flite metal over the others, but it really does need a rock hard under-surface

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny.

About "latex gloves". The latex is permeable (lets pass throught) to solvens and chemicals. That`s the reson that they

recomends barrier creams with latex gloves.

The vinyl and nitrile gloves are not permeble to solvens and chemicals so are better for use with epoxi r/ polyester resins.

Using the correct protection in neccesary for avoiding alergic reactions.

José Luis

Thanks Jose, you have to watch contaminating the model with some stuff too

Anyway I will keep that in mind when I next stock up

Last video on flite metal forming, lots of boring musing to mute if you arent impressed.

I have also shot a video on forming the blisters Martin, but you will have to wait for that to render.
But here is a taster......
411.jpg
Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny

The videos are superb .Thanks

I am not sure how you overcame the loss of adhesion when using soapy water . Did you dry off and start again?

Any thoughts on how you would seal it to prevent fuel or oil ingress?

It's very impressive stuff .Is it very much harder than the pipe Ali foil?

Too many questions .Sorry

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 26/11/2019 22:13:01

Posted by Martyn K on 26/11/2019 21:45:15:

Hi Danny

The videos are superb .Thanks

I am not sure how you overcame the loss of adhesion when using soapy water . Did you dry off and start again?

Any thoughts on how you would seal it to prevent fuel or oil ingress?

It's very impressive stuff .Is it very much harder than the pipe Ali foil?

Too many questions .Sorry

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 26/11/2019 22:13:01

Hi Martyn, there is a caption, the third time I abandoned the soapy water

The Flite Metal is thicker than the others and it is key. You can put wrinkles in the material just by removing the backing so care has to be taken at all times. You can score the stuff with a finger nail and you wont remove the mark

Not sure about interference, I will do a thorough range check, should be okay in control line mode

Cheers

Danny

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments I enjoy making the videos and they are much faster to produce now I am using the new win 10 laptop Hopefully you will see it is not that difficult, as Colin says just a little patience.

Now just for Martin Fane, grab your popcorn and fizzy drink, get comfy, and enjoy...........

Cheers
Danny

Sure Martyn, the first few areas I foiled, including the upper cowl was done using alloy foil from Halfords. The cockpit hatch and panel directly forward was with Mick Reeves Metalcoat. The remaining panels, and the foiling videos are of me applying Filte Metal from the US. Flite Metal is thicker and is the easier product to use IMO.

The blisters are made from .26mm lithographic plate, and there is a video covering there forming.

Cheers

Danny

I use the thin ally sheet from K&S metal centre for making cowls and blisters. It is a most malleable, yet crisp sheet and always gives me an excellent result. I make a pattern (hammer form) in steamed pear, then hammer it with a piece of lignum vitae held in the palm. The flange is then turned up with smooth faced pliers. Trim with files. Dummy rivets punched in with a model railway style riveting machine. Flush rivets made with a tool for doing plastic model kits.

Martin