S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

Hi Danny, I only live a mile from the club field and as the wind speed dropped I went back this evening. I had 5 flights the longest 10 mins. after which the battery had 34% left. It looked great with the sun at my back blue sky and a few white clouds just wish someone else had been there to take some flying shots. rolls are very barrel like loops straight, stall turns no bother all good landings. Take off into the wind essential just slightly across and you have to be quick , you are right about the cross wind, I only read your post when I returned home. It is not so bad landing slightly cross wind as long as you keep the power on. In all a very satisfactory evening with no dramas or nasties.

Cheers Eric.

Advert

I contacted Martin to ask the size of the gun barrels he did for his, and he said it was from Gwyns thread. Martin was in work so could offer no more advice. I opened Gwyn's Fury MkI thread on RC ScaleBulder, and I had forgotten how amazing that model is...... anyway after going through over a hundred pages of jaw dropping modelling I found the picture I showed earlier.

What it has shown me is how much more I have to learn.

I made a couple of gun barrels tonight, and sprayed them gun metal, no idea what colour they should be, but perhaps black with some graphite powder would have also worked?

m_777.jpg

Ordered a new Rx today, going for one with a gyro, about time I got with the program.

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 23/06/2020 23:15:21:

I contacted Martin to ask the size of the gun barrels he did for his, and he said it was from Gwyns thread. Martin was in work so could offer no more advice. I opened Gwyn's Fury MkI thread on RC ScaleBulder, and I had forgotten how amazing that model is...... anyway after going through over a hundred pages of jaw dropping modelling I found the picture I showed earlier.

What it has shown me is how much more I have to learn.

I made a couple of gun barrels tonight, and sprayed them gun metal, no idea what colour they should be, but perhaps black with some graphite powder would have also worked?

m_777.jpg

Ordered a new Rx today, going for one with a gyro, about time I got with the program.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny if it fly's as good as mine you won't need a giro. What did you make the barrels with?

Cheers Eric.

Hi Eric, i appreciate the model doesn't need a gyro, but I may enter the odd FO event with it, and if the weather is less than perfect it helps smooth the flight.

I have to get familiar with them as my future comp models will have them to be competitive.

The barrels are from evergreen plastic, styrene tube, i can check the diameter tomorrow if it helps?

Cheers

Danny

Hi Eric, thanks, the tube is 10mm diam. the holes were drilled undersize with a dremel after careflu marking out, then the holes opened up with a sharp drill bit by hand. Can't help but think there should be some form of barrel within, but with no reference will have to adlib....

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 22/06/2020 19:50:22:

Not entirely sure where you are going with that Richard? Camm's influence can be seen through all the Hawker designs, which included biplanes, monoplanes, and one of the fastest piston engined fighters able to take on a Mig, right through to the VTOL Harrier. Not sure I would equate Hawkers to Leyland?

Cheers

Danny

I do like the Hawker biplanes But there's no denying that they all look very similar. So if I was making a model of one (and I have been tempted) I would make a 'generic' one incorporating the 'prettiest' features of any of them. Austin Cambridge, Morris Oxford, or Hawker Hart, Hawker Fury, - any of them will do.

Incidentally the Hawker biplanes were mostly used for dropping leaflets printed in English, which of course they didn't understand, on 'rebellious' middle east tribesmen equipped with obsolete British rifles we ourselves had suppled to them

Hi Eric, I chopped some more plastic tubing and wrapped it in masking tape, likewise a short section of alloy tube. Dab of paint and think they will do just nicely.

778.jpg

779.jpg

780.jpg

Hi Richard, I am a big fan of Camm's work, but there is probably a prettier "similar" biplane, the Fairey Fantom which would be a nice generic model.

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 24/06/2020 09:45:43:

Hi Eric, I chopped some more plastic tubing and wrapped it in masking tape, likewise a short section of alloy tube. Dab of paint and think they will do just nicely.

778.jpg

779.jpg

780.jpg

Hi Richard, I am a big fan of Camm's work, but there is probably a prettier "similar" biplane, the Fairey Fantom which would be a nice generic model.

Cheers

Danny

I did look at the Fantom(e)

Incidentally I live in the valley of the River Test, Hampshire. The Romsey to Stockbridge road had a large number of aviation company heads or well-known aviation figures living there. Possibly because they were all keen fly fishers for trout, as am I.

Both Hawkers (the 'other' one gained a Victoria Cross, is honoured by a stained glass window in a local church, and was eventually shot down by Richthofen), Sopwith, Fairey, Bowden (the developer of stranded aviation control cables), JW Dunne, of the tailless biplanes, later head of what became 'Farnborough, and author of the perceptive and haunting book 'Sunshine and the Dry Fly', Hubert Broad, DH test plot, and Alex Henshaw, racer and Vickers-Armstrong test pilot, and for a couple of years A V Roe.

The top wing masking, I was dreading this. And it was as bad as expected. I had hoped that I could use stencils to lay the squares down in one go, but the slightest waver of a line and it all went to pot.

In the end I used the cutter to cut all the squares, then I went around and placed each one, quite a painful exercise, but much better than having to mask without the cutter!

781.jpg

782.jpg

Probably the most complex masking job I have done to date, but I am pretty pleased with it. Room for improvement, but there always is.

And yes I did refer back to photographs repeatedly to make sure I had the right sequence, who would know if I didn't?

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, I need to make some guns for mine the empty troughs don't look right. So I will copy yours. The black and white is my favourite scheme but I went for the easy option. Talking of being in control I bought a car that changes gear for me, mainly because of an arthritic left wrist and hip. I was out flying the Fury today, the other flyers liked it a lot managed to get a short video of it flying, the only bad landing went on record I had it on low rates trying to keep it steady in a strong wind and through chatting to the camera man I forgot to go to high for the final and it nosed over. Now I have to find out how to down load it off my phone as it is too big to E. Mail.

Cheers Eric.

Copy away Eric, I mounted them on 3/16 wooden blocks to get the height sort of in the middle of the troughs. Really defeats me why no pictures on the web anywhere??

Easiest way is to upload it to you-tube, looking forward to flying mine now, what was your final weight, mine is going to have an additional half pound of sound system crook

Cheers

Danny

Just over 8 lbs that is excellent Eric well done.

I have been playing with Illustrator a bit more. One of the benefits of all this is that my skills are improving imensely.

A huge leap was turning on the auto guides that I didn't even know existed!

783.jpg

and my version in red, laid over the top, pretty accurate I would say.....

784.jpg

I found a font that was sort of close then made the font into a compound shape and expanded it. This gave me anchor points for every line change of direction. I could then drag those around to match what I needed.

So if I ever need this WT stencil again its in the library. The Hurricane is later and uses a more blocky WT emplem.

The Numeric text was nice and simple its a std Stencil font, just stretched and narrowed as required which was lucky. I guess whoever did the restoration took the commercial font route too

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Eric, you are welcome to the stencils when I am done, but you will need an airbrush. Shame to bin them they are easily re-used.

788.jpg

789.jpg

I use two right angle or "L" pieces of A4 to screen the surrounding area, I will be using a new Harder and Steenback .2mm airbrush for this and the line is so fine, I could do it without the additional masking, but I better be cautious. The "L" is easily moved on to the next stencil as you move around the model

But that's a job for another time, out of time tonight.....

Cheers

Danny

Thanks José really enjoy this bit of the build. Do you just want the Illustrator drawings? Or do you and Eric want to share some of the stencils, there are several identical W/T symbols, the numbers can be the same, nobody will know wink 2

You are more than welcome to the .ai files.

790.jpg

791.jpg

792.jpg

I lost one W/T stencil where i removed it a bit too enthusiastically and pulled a bit of the "W" off, I was more careful after that. But as you can see there are 8 W/T and an assortment of numbers If anybody wants any? But you will need an airbrush, painting by hand will not usually work in my experience.

Cheers

Danny