S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

Advert

Hi Eric, the idea of the Masterclass was to take on an espect of scale modelling you hadn't done before, mine was the rigging and a biplane for that matter. I also wanted to play with silk and tissue. Its been fun. And I am really impressed with the speed at which you have built yours

I did a bit more stecil stuff today, I think it was Martian that asked about the cockerill on the red fin, on the insignia white arrow head. Well this is the test stencil. I wlll make an outline to do the red and white, this is the one to do the black edging.

734.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, when I built the Dennis Bryant Bulldog I was working, it took about 6 months to build usually working till 1-o-clock in the morning. the worst part was cutting all the ribs and riblets. If I build another biplane I think I would use the Mick Reeves rigging fittings they look good.

Now what was I saying about a Gladiator?wink.

Cheers Eric.

I must confess I use my friends at Slec to cut kits for me. I re-drew the Bryant plan for electric, and got them to cut me parts, including additional riblets etc. They also cnc'd the horns and hinges, though I should have included the tail surface hinges as well, as I did for the Bryant Chipmunk.

I hope you are going to show us this Gladiator build when you start

Cheers

Danny

A bit more done this evening.

The KK paint takes 24 hours to harden enough to allows masking, so it is throwing my routine a bit. I am also still learning the best time to lift the stencils, seems too soon and the paint strings like molten cheese, too late and it has a nasty ridge, but later seems better to me.

Anyway masked the white areas from two days ago to accept the black. Not sure how easy it is going to be to align the cockerel background now I have added the black line, but it would be no fun if it was easy....

740.jpg

743.jpg

744.jpg

745.jpg

747.jpg

Quite pleased with how well the stencils shaped over all the lumps and bumps, rib tape, Dzus fasteners, foil edges, very little bleed.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny , as yet mine is not fitted I am waiting for a spinner nut to fit the ali. spinner then recheck the balance. I thought of inserting 2 small plastic tubes into the fuselage and having the gun sight a push fit in. Must remember to pull it out before taking the wing off.

Cheers Eric.

Thanks Eric, that's a good idea, I did the pitot tubes on my Hurricane and Chipmunk in a similar way, splay the pins slightly for a snug fit. Should work, as you say, destroyed if you forget to remove it angry 2

Slight problem I hadn't twigged that the roundel blue and red on a 1939 aircraft was brighter than later. So I am going to have to resort to Halfords rattle cans Tamiya X-7 looks close for the red, but alas I have no blue close enough.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, colour is light, as you know I hand painted mine with Humbrol enamel I lightened the roundel blue till it looked right. In some photos it looks lighter than others. I remember an article many years ago about a Miles Hawk speed 6. 8 photos taken at various times on the same day with different shutter settings 8 different shades of cream.However there is no doubt that the blue and red were much lighter than normal. I think that some paint suppliers can match a colour if you have a sample by computer and make up a rattle can for you.

Cheers Eric.

Hi Eric, yes I knew the red and blue were brighter, but I had ordered 40's colours, and KlassKote don't do prewar roundel colours. Anyway Tamiya do an acrylic red that is close enough, it just doesn't cover very well and is awful to spray......

Anyway the blue I lightened a bit, possibly not enough but as you say Eric based on my own photos its close, many on the web are much lighter.

749.jpg

752.jpg

754.jpg

Anyway the blue went on really nicely, the red not so. of the 4 bleeds, though none bad, three were on the red on the fin....

Just have to print that cockrell for the fin, and of course tackle the top wing checker-board, yikes!! Might have to assemble the wing to keep it all aligned.

Thanks Colin, you have more faith than me... Do you think Fradley would let me in to take some photos when it is done?

Cheers

Danny