S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

Advert

I am not sure what your particular prototype had as far as the W/T but you are welcome to share them

I had a little play with making some decals for the oleo shrouds and the bottom of the struts.

793.jpg

794.jpg

797.jpg

The surface was prepped with MicroSet then the decal applied, and dabbed with kitchen towel, then a coat of MicroSol to soften the material. As you can see it has gone over the very rough terrain of the cabane struts, I was surprised how well that went. I will give it 24 hours then seal with a clear lacquer.

José, send me a PM with your email address and i will send the file, its not very tidy I am afraid, but most of it is self explanatory.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny I don't mind sharing with Martian, I will P.M. you my address. AN UNUSUAL EXPERIENCE. this morning I took the Fury up to the field and in virtually no wind it flew great I done a couple of touch and goes. and on landing taxied back to the pit area. I have a low seat which I take to the field because the seats we normally keep on the field have been locked away through Covid. I was talking to another member when I noticed the port interplane strut was missing due to the stagger on the wing it is no usually visible from above. I went to the place where the plane landed but no sign of it. I thought it must have popped out in flight. but then we looked where I had done the touch and goes and my friend spotted it on the ground. It went back into place and the rear rigging wire to the lower wing was slack I tensioned this to locate the strut but had not noticed the wing had twisted to have an aileron effect and as the plane took off it veered to the left, I corrected it and landed not wanting the strut to pop out again I tightened the corresponding strut on the stbd. wing and took off again it flew straight and the equal twist on the wings was noticeable as it flew away from me. The Fury then completed a 10 min. uneventful flight. I had another flight before bringing it home at lunch time. I have not checked it over yet as my Grandson and his family were coming from Coventry for the weekend so I put the planes away out of reach of the kids.

It must have flown for about 4 mins. without the strut but it flew and landed OK.

Cheers Eric.

That was very lucky Eric, all the lift from the lower wing is through the struts, and the spars. Mine has two flimsy carbon dowels, and would have snapped easily.

I will be interested to hear what the final outcome is after further investigation?

I have been messing with the wheels, but I wont show the progress as I am not completely happy with the results so may start again.

Cheers

Danny

okay, redid the wheels was unhappy with the first attempt the second is better, though \i am disappointed in the orange peel in the paint. It is actually from the aerosol etch primer used on the litho plate. You live and learn.

808.jpg

The inner circle is foil, the outer litho-plate, the stub is styrene, and the nuts little sections of hex styrene

The paint is red X-1 Tamiya.

Cheers

Danny

Tried a different tack with the spinner. I wet and dried the silver KK with 800 and then sprayed matt white Tamiya. Once that was dry, a very gentl flat with 800 in selected areas (dust mainly, and a finger print embarrassed)

Then sprayed flat Tamiya red X7, once that was dry, gloss KlassKote clear. Just hope it survives the rpm and the sunshine.

810.jpg

P.S. that is picture 810 in the Fury album, sheez, I need to get out more.....

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, After a hectic weekend with the family things almost returned to normal last night. Looking at your wheels I was thinking the collets that hold mine on could be made to look like the grease caps. You have made a first class job of the wheels I don't think many people will notice the orange peel which is not so apparent after the K.K. clear.

One modeller when looking at mine asked if the wings were made of foam. Just shows how things have changed, I think his previous encounter with an early biplane was a Parkzone SE5.

My Fury is at my Sons house for now and as it is very windy up here I will leave it till the wind drops, after which I will give the strut fastening and rigging a good examination.

Cheers Eric.

Hi Eric, I look forward to the inquest. Yes you could easily make the collets look scale, and it would allow easy removal of the wheels, good idea.

Started laying out the electronics, there is plenty of space, but it all gets eaten up if not planned well. I hate this bit and would gladly hand the model to somebody else to do this.

I made an error when attaching the covers to the wheels. I used silicone to attach them, and absent mindedly pulled the covers on with masking tape. The covers felt dry but it had not been 24 hours as advised. Yes you have guessed it the tape left marks in the clear coat. So they will have to be rubbed back a little and another coat of clear. Got to be carful not to go through the red, or I will have to start all over again.

Anyway will try and do some more at lunchtime.

Cheers

Danny

Did quite a bit on the radio fit out. Realised quite quickly that with the redesigned front end on my redrawn plan, I was going to be very nose heavy. As the battery location is tight I thought I would remove F1 completely, and make a sloping bulkhead to create a battery box with a bit more room. Who knows if I will be able to get lipos the same size in the future, this change has eased that issue considerably. It has brought the c of g back as well which is good.

I have an emergency rx pack that I will fit behind the cockpit somewhere to get it spot on.

As you can see it ended up fairly neat. The FRSky Neuron 80 ESC is sat on a frame so air can get all around, and though the cowl will be close above it there is a stream of air running directly across the top.

811.jpg

819.jpg

817.jpg

818.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Gary there isn't as much Litho as I had first hoped, but with litho its the glue that adds the weight. I have found a good (cheap) carpet double sided tape and that works well. Although good old thin CA has done this.

It's down to careful balsa selection, and the whole model is done with tissue and dope. Each lower wing panel weighs 80g. people add hardwood spars, and a drop of epoxy here and there, the odd doubler and re-enforcement. Next thing you know its put on a pound. Build to fly not to survive a crash. Sorry on my soap box crook

Really enjoying your build, you are lucky to have found a build buddy, that's rare these days. Scale building is often a solitary road.... I have a Top Flite GS P-47 to build, with the intention of not modifying it, what do you think the chances of that are?

Cheers

Danny

2.06 kg. makes mine clinically obese. Regarding cooling since fitting the spinner the only air holes are the exhausts. I checked the battery after each flight gradually increasing flight time and at no time did the battery get hot even though the temperature that day was 24 c. The last flight was 10mins with 34% left in the battery.

Looking forward to hearing yours fly. Cheers Eric.

That is really good to hear Eric, I have exaggerated the spinner to cowl gap with a washer, with the option of an impeller behind it. But it sounds like it wont be needed. My concentration starts to go after about 7 minutes so I should be okay. I am using 2 5S 2700 in parallel, so a 5400 5S effectively, can't remember the capacity you are using?

I have been known to build light, but not very strong. My indoor models often throw there wings off at even good landings My RC models are a bit more robust but not much

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny. It's great having Nick building alongside, first time I've had this!

I always wanted to buy a Top Flite kit and kept putting it off for some reason. Always thought I'd try something else first and seems like I've left it too late now.

I like building a kit every now and then because it's strange that I dont feel like they need to be as scale as a plan built model. Doesn't make any sense but that's how I tend to think for some reason.

Gary

Hi Danny, I am using a single 5s-5000 20c battery . I have a VQ Hurricane and a 65" span ME 109 which use the same power set up. The Hurricane is the least efficient it weighs 9 1/2 lb. but tends to get flown harder than the Fury. The ME109 is lighter at 8 lb and I get about 8 mins flight

The battery weighs 1lb 4oz.

Cheers Eric.

Mine only has a 270kV motor Eric hence the big prop, according to the telemetry set up yesterdat, i am at just under 6k rpm unloaded.

Not much to report on mine, finished the radio programming last night. Have configured some flight modes as I am trying something with the sound card, that is a bit novel, shall we say.

Still waiting for some toggle switches to make a power panel. Might play with an Aldis tube today while I wait.

My Piper Apache has been dug out and is anxiously awaiting being lifted onto the bench......

Cheers

Danny

Still waiting for postie I will do a video of the first Kestrel start-up, actually probably the second, the first will make me jump right out my skin, 40 W of audio in a small workshop is enough to sharpen your senses!

But seeing it, you might be right. I am not sure what is happening about the RCM&E fly-in at Buckminster this year, need to check with David.

Cheers

Danny

Well the switches eventually arrived and some time was spent creating a wiring harness to couple the two packs, and to provide a 21V feed to the Amp. I also configured one of Chris Botts magic battery backers, so I have a small LiFe pack as a standby should the BEC pack up.

Added a small panel with switches to power off the amp (useful if you don't want to deafen the household every time you want to test something) and a second switch to power on/off the reserve LiFe pack. The BEC and the LiFe are joined by a diode bridge or something like that according to Chris. I have set the BEC voltage .1V above the Life so it should never have to do anything. If the power goes from the BEC to the LiFe then I get a warning.

Eric I know it's all very complex, but it is safer once you master it all.

The sound system is driven by a seperate channel to the throttle stick, and mixed in certain flight modes. This allows me to control the signal driving the sound in the other flight mode.

This will allow me to do a full throttle (sound) flypast at partial throttle (motor) I think that may work well. Anyway we will see.

824.jpg

825.jpg

If you haven't tried a Neuron esc you don't know what you are missing, full telemetry and smooth throttle right the way through the range. Just wish they did bigger ones! 80A is their biggest.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, it looks terrific well worth the effort. This is the first time I have heard of Neuron esc's, I will have to get out more. I have had neurotic esc's in the past. I can't believe how you have kept the weight down so much I must be using lead impregnated wood on mine. Looking forward to your first flight and sound video, I have not found out how to upload mine to the forum yet.

Cheers Eric.