Suggestions for an easy-to-build electric model to serve as a second model for my partner.

David Davis

My partner and I have built a Super 60. We are just waiting for the Covid restrictions to be relaxed enough for her to come and see me here in central France so that we can go and fly it. She's a natural on the simulator!

She wants to build a second model. I have an unstarted WOT 4 and a DB Sport & Scale Skyrider waiting for their turns on the bench but I feel that both of these models would be better with an i/c engine and for practical purposes an electric powered model would be preferable.

So I am looking for suggestions for a kit or plan of a four channel model which would be easy to build, which will fly well enough as a second model/advanced trainer and which will accomodate electric power, about five feet, (1.5 metres) wingspan.

I suppose I could shove an electric motor onto the nose of the Skyrider but...

Miss Blue Eyes Gets On With It 1 - Copy.jpg

Miss Blue Eyes reluctantly poses - Copy.jpg

Advert

The Chris Foss website shows a method of inserting the Lipo from underneath on a Wot4.   Check out the similar idea for the Uno Wot which is slightly different.   The idea could also be used on many other models.  Basically a ply plate to take the Lipo with a tongue ( tenon ) which fits into a slot ( mortice ) in the engine bulkhead which allows the  Lipo to go right up inside the model and is retained by a wing bolt.

• Like 1

I am not a practised builder. Am dabbling and trying to acquire and adjust skills. The below is my Wot 4 Uno trainer which I converted 5 years ago. No consideration of c of g etc just made sure the pro cleared the front. I know there will be lots of raised eyebrows but hey ho !

In any event it flies beautifully and I did my A test with it. So as a plane for your partner yes it would be good, mine enjoys it.

Wot 4 1.JPG

Wo4 2.JPG

Wot 4 3.JPG

2 minutes ago, Zflyer said:

I am not a practised builder. Am dabbling and trying to acquire and adjust skills. The below is my Wot 4 Uno trainer which I converted 5 years ago. No consideration of c of g etc just made sure the pro cleared the front. I know there will be lots of raised eyebrows but hey ho !

In any event it flies beautifully and I did my A test with it. So as a plane for your partner yes it would be good, mine enjoys it.

Wot 4 1.JPG

Wo4 2.JPG

Wot 4 3.JPG

Yes I used to have a Uno Wot. Regret selling it now.

Very similar!

My WOT4 is powered by a 4250 Kv550 motor (from an FMS Olympus) which means that not only is it overpowered, the C of G means that the battery has to slide quite a way back (the front of the battery is behind the bulkhead). So I made a battery tray with a box at the end so that the battery locates in that and to stop it moving forwards there is a block of foam which fills the area under the hatch, with a suitable cut out for air to pass through.

Is yours the ARTF Wot4, like mine?  My battery is a bit too far forward and IIRC I've put some tyre balance weights  on the tail plane (it's a while since I've seen, let alone flown it!)  It flies OK with without

DSCN2162.thumb.JPG.43e050ed9482023df35d1684daf9f4d8.JPG

This is it complete.  Pretty boring really but a great flyer and I agree might well suit David's  partner's needs.

DSCN2176.thumb.JPG.3585ccd135d126360a7f7d9d44fc95e5.JPG

The big advantage from an electric flyer's POV is that the hatch is already part of the kit.  Not sure if they're available, though.  There seems to be a shortage.

Geoff

I had a couple of ARTF Wot 4s flying under electric power (4250/4S) but one is currently stored in the loft with no radio or power, and the other is ready to go with an OS 55AX. I've sold/swapped/otherwise disposed of most my electric power stuff now. I tried it about 20 years ago and wasn't impressed, it is a lot better these days, but I have flown glow for so long that all that cleanliness and silence just feels wrong!

• Like 1