Guy Martin - Battle Of Britain

GrumpyGnome

I'mm reading the 3rd volume of a series called 'Frank 'n' Stan's Bucket List' by JC Williams on my Kindle.  It's largely based on the IoM TT and is laugh out loud funny in places.  Guy Martin appears as a character in this episode.  I admire him greatly for his out and out enthusiasm but I expect he's pretty tiring to deal with in real life.  Sadly, I suspect he's not destined to reach old age but he'll definitely enjoy life in the process.

Yes, his serious accident rattled him and he realised his own mortality, he decided that being there for his daughter growing up was more important than everything else. He is a perfectionist and prefers his own company so being around him could be quite prickly as he says it as it is

I really like him.

Also rates on the autism scale, which probably explains his obsessive personality traits.

He's into real hardcore endurance mountain bike racing now as well - it seems to have taken the place of the motorcycle racing

eta:  Ref my earlier post, his last big crash was at the Ulster GP, not as I wrongly said the NW200.

Edited by Kim Taylor
Fact corrected for accuracy

1 hour ago, Kim Taylor said:

Also rates on the autism scale, which probably explains his obsessive personality traits.

He's into real hardcore endurance mountain bike racing now as well - it seems to have taken the place of the motorcycle racing

eta:  Ref my earlier post, his last big crash was at the Ulster GP, not as I wrongly said the NW200.

He had a pretty big crash in the Senior TT a while back, too.  I think he was actually leading at the time.  I watched a documentary about the TT a couple of weeks ago which described the crash - possibly on Netflix but I can't remember for sure.  He got docked 30 seconds in one race for exceeding the pits speed limit by a tiny amount which upset him somewhat as it knocked him off the leaderboard.  We used to go to the TT every year at one time with our vintage bikes (Scott TT replica for me and a 1928 250cc Raleigh for my wife) but we went mostly for the social side.

If he's taken up mountain bike racing more seriously (he did quite a bit before and even rode a 24 hour event in Scotland IIRC) it'll probably be downhill. 

19 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Sunday 18/4 at 20:00, Channel 4.

Won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I find him engaging and enthusiastic, so could be worth a watch.

GG 

Thanks GG - I'll definitely try to catch that. I agree that he's engaging and enthusiastic and he makes a compelling telly programme. ?

RIP Joey Dunlop a true master, hold on to your seat for a practice lap V Four Victory - featuring Joey Dunlop and the Honda V4 - YouTube Absolute and total master of man and machine.

When I was motorcycle racing one of the old boys used to say something like "you have to finish the race first to win it" in response to the people who would say they were leading and crashed or something happened to deny from the win.

Worked for me (three times Grass Track British Champion 350cc pre 75 class)

• Like 1