OS61 - Hanno Special?

Ian Whittaker

• 2 weeks later...

Nigel R,

Apologies for the delay, we’ve managed a short break and my radar was off.

spoke to El Tel and the tweaks are to do with having to use 4 strokes.   The new nose is slightly shorter for c of g reasons and the fus is under an inch longer from wing te to tail.   The fus is slightly wider to facilitate radio installation.   Terry says the fundamentals of incidences etc are unchanged.

hope this helps.

BTC

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bruce,

Purity for UKCAA isn't particularly important as far as the power unit is concerned, it's more about the airframe. I have seen modern 2 strokes, 4 strokes and electric power used at these events. It's actually rare to see a vintage engine at all. Those engines were good in their day but that was a long time ago and technology has moved on and it's much easier to get the sort of performance you need to fly the classic manoeuvres from a modern engine.

Kevin,

It's not so purist of an association simply because it's not about vintage engines. It's about flying the manoeuvres and having fun at low key events. The cut-off date for airframe design is as late as 1stJan 1996, which still leaves a good amount of engines of the same era which are capable of being competitive if you want to go that way. I have a couple of OS61RF 1980s vintage which are perfectly capable.

It's not like a classic car show because there is no concourse element although there are some really nice looking models at meetings.

• 1 year later...