Computer help

David Holland 2

Morning all, this is slightly R/C related, honest. I mainly use an iMac but have a Windows pc for the stuff for which software is not available for Apple. I was about to download the FrSky Ethos simulator before deciding to replace FrOs on my Horus but it is only available for Windows. The pc would not fire up and the psu has failed. It is an HP machine, probably 8 or 9 years old and while I am quite capable of fitting a new one, I am not at all sure what to buy. Anyone know if they have a standardised wiring protocol. The original is 300 watts. Any advice would be appreciated.

David

Advert

I replaced the PSU in my PC a couple of years ago because I thought some other issues I had could have been power related.  It's a pretty straight forward job and the various connectors to the motherboard, hard-drives etc are standard.  As my old PSU was still working I bought a more powerful one- incidentally my PC is also an ageing HP. 

I'm about to upgrade mine with a new motherboard/cpu/RAM so my more powerful PSU may have been worth the extra.   Best thing to do is have a look at (say) Ebuyer and see which power supplies they stock and buy accordingly (not necessarily from them)

Geoff

Al the peripherals like hard drives and disk drives always used and still do the standard molex socket, the only connection to check therefore is that the PSU has the right socket to connect to the motherboard, pull the current one out and check the number of pins.

More modern PSU's will have dedicated graphics card power supply sockets which you almost certainly don't need so don't waste money on a newer powerful PSU.

Sockets have ben standardised for years so more than likely anything will fit just don't waste money on what you don't need and won't use.

E bay and Amazon are likely to help here or if you want to physically get it then try Curry's PC world but if it were me then an eight year old PC would be getting a 2nd hand PSU preferably for free.  

If it's a standard size tower unit then the form factor yo need is called ATX.

HP dont always use ATX standard power supplies. Can you whip the door open and get a photo of the innards? Or a shot of the connectors on the old PSU. 

Also, what makes you think its dead and not another issue?

Thanks for the replies, chaps. The problem occurred quite late last night but I did have time to whip the side off the case and look inside. The PSU does not have a power switch but does have an LED to indicate a mains connection. When plugging in the mains lead the led does illuminate but when switching on the tower the fans rotate briefly and the led extinguishes so I’m guessing something fail as the current draw rises. I plan to nip the psu out of the case and have a look inside though I’m not sure the fault will be obvious.

David

Sounds like something was tripping over current protection or some other safeguard. This can be cause by something as simple as a connector that needs to be reseated. 

My gaming pc gave up the ghost some time ago and all i needed was the power supply to the board unplugging and plugging back in!

18 minutes ago, David Holland 2 said:

My thoughts too, Jon. It is an ATX psu and as the bally thing has failed again I have ordered one, a whole 23squid including delivery.

David

for a basic system it should be fine. i am always wary of cheap psu's in my gaming systems but they draw much more power

Have you looked inside the power supply? A common fault is capacitors losing capacity. If any capacitor has a slightly bulged top then it is on the way out or dead. Admittedly I have had recently a perfect looking capacitor that had lost all capacity. Also if looking at capacitors, is there a small one hiding behind a bit of wiring? Had that too.

The problem with replacing old psu's is that although many have said the connectors are 'standardised' there are, in fact, quite a few variations. As technology moves on the interfaces have changed which has meant the connectors have changed with them. The first psu mainboard connector had 20 pins, then 4 more were added, then there was the change from IDE to SATA for the drives, then there were additional connectors for graphics cards, first 4 pin, then 6 then 8. The danger now is a new PSU may not have the 4 pin molex connectors for IDE drives, or (really showing my age) the 4 pin floppy connectors... I hope yours fit ok and if not then adapters are still available.

Quick update, chaps. PSU arrived this morning from CPC (seem like good people to deal with) and a dead easy, straight swop. Fired up first time and working a treat, in fact I swear it booted up faster but that could well be wishful thinking. Thanks again for all the advice, must be something about aeroplanes that brings the best out in people, full size aviation is just the same.

David