Posts to stop the model flying away (restraints and safe practice)

Mitchell Howard

The rig looks great but looking at the models GoG, it looks to be forward of the bench's left hand leg. As Philip says, there is a risk that the whole lot tips over unless you tie / weight it down.

Fair question - but the model CG is only just forward of the edge of the workhorse and I've used the rig for over 12 years with never an issue.  It has never even looked as though it might keel over but has always been rock steady.  The workhorse stand is quite heavy with spayed feet.  It is quite versatile and I use it for everything from lightweight foamies and even ultra-lightweight profiles shockies right up to my largest built-up models.  However I only have a couple bigger than the illustrated P51 and they're all electric.  Of course the wooden frame design can be adapted as required to suit your own models.  By the way I use a wooden "bridge" across the tops of the shelf bracket.  This is attached with pipe clips and is used to mount and support my wattmeter so I can read the LCD screen while the motor is running.

Hope that's helpful.

I would certainly be very wary of trying this method with any significant power - I would certainly want it pointing into a safe area in case it toppled...I've seen/experienced similar benches moving when used as test stands for IC engine running and always have a foot on the back when I use them.

I'm glad you've never experienced any instability but I do think it's important to sound a note of caution to anyone inspired by your arrangement.

Credit where it's due, it's a neat piece of work, but like the other guys, I'd want the ladder hooks way further back so that the prop only just projected over the edge of the trestle.  Over the rear braces, I'd drape a polybag or two of sand from the local builders merchant...

As far as this thread in general goes:  two lengths of rebar, ditto pipe lagging - job done.