Saito 82B revs

Brian Dorricott 1

I have a Saito 82 in an old funfly ARTF I picked up at a show and it flies happily on 1/2 throttle doing everything it should but when I open the throttle wide open the engine revs increase but it doesn't go any quicker !  I must take off the spinner and look at the prop size , does anyone have any ideas as to why ? It's not a problem but would like to know the reason as feels a bit odd opening throttle and nothing changing except the engine revs .

Advert

So much to check Brian, as a Saito 82B has a lot of grunt, and could easily pull vertical on a funfly.

Check, looking down the throttle barrel that this fully opens as full stick is applied

As this could be partial, and the revs go up but nothing else.

Count the needle turns to fully in, the screw out fully

And clean the needle

Put it back, using your count

Start the motor and tune to full revs

Check the plug, is bright and shiny at the element

If it is grey, then change this.

Small update 

Can't find make other than its Funfly 90 with 60-90 2 stroke recommended . The Saito 82b is on 14x7 prop so in the range for the that . Gave it a little service and a new plug tightened prop etc . I'll give it go again tomorrow and see if it's any different.  Quite thick wings but very light construction with a long long fuselage and quite enormous control surfaces , don't mind admitting I have the rates dialled down to about 50% ( wimp).

20200811_171017.jpg

Hahaha, what a coincidence !! By shear luck I have been  actually flying mine today !! It's a YT International Magic 90 Funfly, bit like a Cougar 2000 on steroids.

A 14x7 on a funfly is all wrong anyway, you don't want to overspeed them..... It's all about grunt.

Mine is powered by a Saito 115 with an APC 16x4W prop, It is going to be very marginal with an 82 and the best prop for that on a funfly is probably a 13or14x4w.

I just don't think the 82 has enough grunt for that plane, used to have a Saito 91 in mine but it was a bit marginal pulling out of the prop hang, hence the 115 which is brilliant, the motor is giving 18.12lbs of static thrust at 9700rpm and the model is 6lbs 12oz all up.

The photos were taken by a club mate today !!!

IMG-20210530-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20210530-WA0003.jpg

Edited by Martin Arnold 1

Remember this is a large funfly at 6ilb 12oz with 62in span and 19in cord, giving 8.18 square feet wing area !!

To put it in perspective I have a Saito 82  APC 13x4W prop, in an old Irvine Wild Card wich is 4lb 5oz 52in span and 15 inch cord giving 5.41 square feet wing area.

wild card.jpg

9 minutes ago, Brian Dorricott 1 said:

Thanks for replies I think I need to reduce the prop a little and if not rethink the engine setup . Might keep the Saito in meantime until I get used to flying it . What's a nice petrol for that do you think ?

The Saito 82 is an excellent motor, just think it's not big enough for the Magic 90, yes it will fly it, but not with the sort of authority the model deserves.

Not into petrols myself, so not sure on that one, currently run all four stroke glow about 17 or so Saitos with the odd OS and YS.

Have to say it really tickled me when I came back from flying my Magic 90 and looked at your post, I was only saying at the field the that they were "Unobtainium" !! And there's yours, so there are at least two still alive !!

Yes Brian you're not far out there, acquired mine in the early 2000's from a club mate who used it as a test bed for a Saito twin, can't remember which one.

The were sold by YT International in Walsall West Midlands, who used to do a very good range of ARTF models back in those days, Had a Gee Bee Racer off them with a Saito 180..... But that is a complete other story.