Unknown Petrol Engine & its Hall Sensor

Andy J

Advert

4 hours ago, Andy Joyce said:

From a quick search looks like the NGK type to replace the Jenn Feng type is a BMR6F.

Carb pump tube does indeed look naff so will replace before running the engine for the first time.

Engine Doctor.... do you know the Walbro type used on the Thor 45 as a search on ebay threw up quite a lot of carb kit variants.

Should be numbers on your carb to identify parts.

Buy a walbro carb service kit that includes the WT variant. That will have a diaphragm to suit the carb.  Mine didn't have any name on it as its a Chinese copy of a walbro but works OK. I believe the CRRC and the Thor were the same engines just branded for different ddistributors. Seeing the extra pics it looks to be the same just dresse up in different colours. Other things to watch out for is cylinder base screw can strip out easily but is a simple repair with helicoil or a longer bolt with a locknut. Excessive end float or rock developing on the crankshaft. This fault on mine needed shim making up. Also the bearing were loose in the case so needed a application of " locktite bearing fit " 

That was some years ago . Mine still runs well and is a powerful old lump and is fitted in a Eurobat 80 inch model. 

With the introduction of E10 petrol I will be making a batch of fuel with the ethanol removed. This should prevent damage to engine internals and carb diaphragms . 

Good to know Mike. Have never stripped down a petrol engine carb but assume it cant be that difficult.

Placed an order today for a new BMR6F plug as well as some screws to mount the exhaust which from crude measurements are M5x20 with a square nut.

Well M5x20 are a tadge too short for the exhaust so will need to order a pair of M5x22 and M5x25 just to be safe.

Given how I hate how the exhaust sticks out of the cowl have also ordered a Pitts style muffler which was originally made for a Zenoah 45, so fingers crossed that it fits. Certainly the manifold fixings are at the right dimensions of 42mm but unknown if the main barrel of the silencer is stood far enough off from the Thor cylinder head. Time well tell but no great loss if not as the exhaust was under $30 including delivery from China.

On 03/10/2021 at 06:22, cymaz said:

I’ ve never had the courage to remove and replace the welch plugs ( if that’s what they’re called)

I did the bigger Welch plug!  ?

The vids make it look easy.  You think they are going to be fairly soft and that you can easily push a pointy tool in.  Mine was horribly hard and I had to force the issue with a small hammer.  It's as well they're not re-usable 'cos when the blighter came out it pinged across the workshop....

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Try to use a bit more thought than simply changing a single letter of a word contravening the CoC!

• 4 months later...

Did try fitting the Pitts Silencer but even more of the engine protruded from the cowl so have now acquired a DLE35RA which allows for an in cowl installation in the Sparrowhawk.  So if anyone is looking for a cheap 45cc petrol engine with zero hours then please feel free to send me a PM.