Fuel proofer

Advert

• 1 month later...

Been slow to make any headway on this 2k business but i finally got round to mixing up the sample i was sent and trying it out on a few surfaces. So far it seems that it is safe to apply over enamel paint. I brush painted some over some 3 hour old humbrol enamel as well as some other older applications and none of them seemed to pickle. This surprised me a bit, but ill take the win. 

I also applied a healthy dose to the wing leading edge of my seagull spacewalker. The area in question gets a good blast from the exhaust and i just want to see how resistant the 2k lacquer is. I am quite confident though as it seems the oracover paint is 2k and i am told by a customer than its hard as nails. 

Still need to sort out the mask situation though as i caught a waft of the fumes while brush painting and it sure packs a punch even when i was doing it all outside! I have a decent mask new in box but it is very difficult to decode their filter specs. It also seems the filters are a year past their user by date but i have never even open their foil packet so they might be ok? Not sure. I should probably replace them. 

2 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

Jon,

If you can't smell the fumes with the mask on then it's working, simples!

This was my policy as well, but apparently isocyanates are odourless and tasteless and that is quite unfortunate. They can also absorb through eyes and skin, which is lovely. 

That said, i did accidentally spill some of my test pot all over my hand. I cleaned it off as best i could with thinner, but that was probably just as bad as the paint. 

Hi Jon

Dont use any organic solvent to remove paint or glue It makes absorption through the skin more likely .Soap and water is much safer Re smells from 2k ,it’s thinned with xylene and toluene and the other ingredient is a di alcohol which pongs so you are safe if you can’t smell anything