Eflite

Advert

I've had three E-Flite models spanning from several years ago to the present day and I'm in agreement with Grumpy Gnome.

I just bought the E-Flite Air Tractor as I was looking for something different. Overall the model looks quite decenty finished but it's the details that spoil it. Firstly my model came with a severely warped tail that had to be replaced under warranty, a process which took two weeks. How the piece in question passed any form of quality check is beyond me. Also, I find some of the plastics used to make many of the parts are not of the quality they used to be.

A friend recently splashed out 550 euros for the E-Flite FW190 and has had nothing but problems with it and has vowed never to buy anything E-Flite ever again.

I consider my Avios Grand Tundra and FMS PA-18 Super Cub to be equal to or better than many E-Flite offerings nowadays and they offer far better value for money too. 

Just bear in mind that an extremely hookey-looking FB page has surfaced this week, purporting to be an EFlite "outlet" site. They are offering the 1.5M FW190, which retails at least £400 everywhere else, for £79 and some of the jet models for £75 -£50 - if it looks too good to be true, chances are it is. The site is liberally strewn with official-looking eFlite logs and the like.

My first EFlite model was my Mini Edge 540, which wasn't the sort of thing that I usually fly, but I was so impressed that the thought I might break this little, discontinued model was such that I rapidly got hold of a second spare airframe at the first opportunity. I think I've managed to land it right side up maybe three times in hundreds of flights -so much so that the Mini Edge sitting on her back in the grass was my avatar on the old RCM&E forum. A marvellous model, still in service 15 years later and disproving the propaganda that ARTFs are only fit for the scrap heap after a few seasons.

Since then I've accumulated several other eFlite models -a mixture of wood and composite ARTFs like the PT-19, BAe Hawk and some of their foamie RTFs, such as the P-51D, Hurricane, Carbon Cub, B-17 UMX and have always been very impressed by the build quality, the quality of the parts, the finish and how well thought out they are. My latest two are a pre-flown F4U1-4 Corsair - the 1.2m version and which flies like a much larger model - and a couple of weeks ago I got hold of an unstarted P-38 Lightning , missing a few bits like spinners and props, but one of their long discontinued foamies and again, the quality is excellent.

Despite what I said earlier I do have to agree that E-Flite models fly extremely well. The FW-190 of my friend flew wonderfully but was a real handful on take off and landing. I met him at the club this morning and he's selling it on and has bought a second hand FMS Corsair which he flew and is very happy with.

I must also say that my E-Flite Air Tractor completed it's maiden flight + one this morning and redeemed itself. Within 30 seconds after take off it was evident that it was an extremely well behaved aircraft, super smooth and very easy to fly, and I'm really looking forward to many more flights.

• Like 1

I have 2 mini Edge 540s , great little planes , and they do bounce off long grass, a Pogo , which is quick and smooth  , their ESCs have never let me down , with over a dozen in service, and their brushless motors are excellent  , and I am sure there is a tie up with Parkzone  ?? and I do have many of those !  I cannot grumble !  Got nothing newish  though ! 

EFlite model designs are generally very good, but the components (especially these days) are pretty low end given the prices, particularly the motors and servos. As was observed above the linkage hardware also tends to be pretty average.

8 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

EFlite and Parkzone are both brands owned by Horizon Hobby. I've also got lots of Parkzone models and they all fly superbly.

Parkzone we’re killed off several years ago; any HH planes in that size range are now EFlite branded, and of course are higher priced as a result. They do still fly well though (my P-47 was so straightforward and vice free I actually got bored with it after ~150 flights and sold it on; not before the bearings had gone intern motor after about 50 though).

Edited by MattyB

Last Eflite model I bought was he foam 1.1m-ish PT17.  Wanted the pnp version but apparently that was quickly discontinued; bnf version still available (which presumably is a way to try and lock you in to Spektrum/HH radio gear. 

Several assembly issues, as well reported on the internet/social media.  Looks really nice but it's really really heavy which limits it's flight capabilities. Not as good as the heaper FMS Typhoon I own, or the Durafly Corsair and Spitfire - all considerably cheaper.  Spare parts are ridiculously expensive.

It's a shame because the earlier stuff, like Inverza; umx Yak, Sbach, SSCub, F16; Viking 180 were brilliant.

• Like 1