Waltron Radio gear

Derek Kellard

I have recently been given a set of Waltron radio gear: transmitter, servos etc.

It is a Waltron 4-5 Sportsman, 4 channel 27 mgz set and in mint condition (it has been living in a loft, in a box with a price tag of £107.00) used once a long time ago. Obviously, the nicads are suspect but seem to be taking a charge.

The gear should be practical for surface use, boats or cars.

I would like to know a few details, such as range, problems if any. Anyone out there remember the kit? I would date the set at least 20 - 30 years old.

Address of the manufacturer on the box is Waltron Electronic Controls Ltd, Westwood Industrial Estate, Cross Lane, Marple, Cheshire. Anyone live nearby? Is it still there?

Derek

I also have a Waltron. Complete with its orange case. Which is the Sportsman 4-5.

I also have the build instructions for the Cosmos Control system, which is, I believe the kit version. By Ron Donahue and Stan Yeo of Waltron Electronics and Phoenix Model Products. I understand that the systen was designed by owner of Hillcott electronics (forget the guys name).

East cheshire models was Rons shop, long gone.

The sad part is that all have ceased trading, as far as i know.

Would i use it? Do occaisonally, but canot remember the last time! So very occaisonally, just to see that it still works.

Erfolg

Eric and Erfolg

Thanks for the information. Interesting to know the set is home-grown!

I am at present experimenting with the gear, Sanwa 27MgH receiver,servos and an electric motor fitted in a glider, (never flown).

Thank you for your advice, It is not intended to fly the glider, certainly the nicads are u/s!

Derek

Hi, I had a Waltron 4-5 set, (black case, not a kit), many years ago. Despite several returns to the manufacturer it was prone to glitching, (Gangster 63, Merco 61) sometimes quite badly. I eventually used it in a boat and it seemed OK for this. Also I remember the black cased servos all got slower and slower over a period of 6 months and eventually were un-usable. Happy days!

• 8 years later...

I was up in my loft recently, and came across some old Waltron gear , servos , gears , leads & plugs etc. also a new servo amplifier kit and good few spares for Skyleader , quite a few servo bits, cases, linear rack sets , output discs and arms etc. Does anyone know if there are any collectors/clubs/societies who might be interested in such bits and pieces ? They could make me an offer .

Whilst Waltron gear never inspired confidence,flimsy feeling sticks and wet lettuce servos other UK made stuff e.g. sky leader,Fleet, Sprengbrook easily matched or even beat the Japanese stuff. However the U.K. Servos were rubbish. The quality of a Futaba,Sanwa or OS servos stood way ahead

The Waltron 4-5, the grey cased one with plastic end caps, was my first proper proportional set purchased in 1970 from Geoff Franklin. Mine was totally reliable but I agree about the stick quality. I replaced it after a few years with a Skyleader SLX.

In later years, up to about 4 years ago, Walter Hillcott (The Walt of Waltron) used to come to our local indoor meet in Deeside North Wales with a small stall full of interesting bits & pieces. Ron Donahue (The ron of Waltron) retired to Peel in the Isle of Man around the start of the Millennium & I used to call, have a coffee, and reminisce about old times when I visited the Island. I've lost touch over the last few years however.

Hi Derek, my suggestion is to refit it with a new encoder and a Frsky module and enjoy flying it without any worries. Its an easy project, an evening at most, and costs very little.
It will be so much better than the original. Only the sticks will remind you its an old set!

Plenty of examples here, Waltrons, Staveleys, Skyleaders, Macgregors, Sprengbrooks, Horizons...

Cheers
Phil

Percy. Yes you were quite right to mention Flight Link probably the rolls royce of English radio. I am not sure if they were still in production in the late70s when the Waltron appeared As for the Kraft servos was that earlier? I recall the src1 with naff pots and a horrible splined output gear. Things got worse with the src 6 with poor gears

Thank for posting that Percy. Lovely bit of kit I bet in terms of hours pay the cost equated to would have made it many times more pricey than any radio available today. Tell you what that would fly 90% of the models that are in use today just as well as any flashy modern box. I had Skyleader for many years but don't recall the British manufactures offering Kraft servos. Was that early 70s . I did have a couple of kps11 servos. I believe Trio models sold the mechanics with separate amplifier kits. This was the only source of servo kit I could find to work with the mark1 AM RCME receiver foolishly I sold them and wasted many years of my life with Skyleader SRC1 servos. As for stick tension I still like a heavy stick for glow models (why not electric I don't know). When I learn to fly I was taught by a couple of chaps. One was a policeman with a no nonsense attitude. I had a habit of centering the aeleron by letting go of the stick with a resounding boing as the heavy but very precise Skyleader stick returned. He informed me if I did it again he would smack me round the ear. I did and so did he. Hard. I was cured.. until recently when strangely the habit has returned just occasionally, I hear his voice in my head when I do but don't feel his hand fortunately. My other instructor had a unique way of introducing solo flight. Well into the flight he announced a call of nature shouted you will be ok and proceded to relive himself on the far edge of the strip. Hence first solo landing as the planes tank emptied before his did. It would have been justice if the plane had hit him. But of course he was in a safe place. On the landing strip!

Edited By gangster on 22/01/2017 17:06:07

Stick pingers. Need a slap from a policeman I also used most of my src1s in the linear mode linear servos make more sense to me. Whatever happened to them. Why are they not popular and virtually extinct. The throw was limited and sometimes slower but this was rarely a problem

My first experience of rate switches together with reversal and mixing was on the RCME FM transmittter. That tx was ahead of its time and ahead of the Japanese I saw little point but it was a gimic that I had and no one else in the club did. As for transmitter controlled reversal I still think it is the invention of the devil