Mystery sloper?

Bob Bertram

Hi Folks, I acquired this glider today rather cheaply, well it would have been rude not to.   It is 62" span with a veneered foam wing 2 channel slope soarer. Does anyone have an idea of what it might be and the CoG position if possible?   Needs a small amount of work on the tail feathers but basically sound.

Thanks in anticipation. Bob

IMG_20220202_174459.jpg

IMG_20220202_174603.jpg

Rich, the fuselage seems to be lite ply, looks a darkish colour, maybe gaboon? Or perhaps just age coloured.

John, although the photo makes the chord look constant it is actually tapered. Centre section chord is 9 5/8", tips are 7 3/4 and more tapered at the l/e than t/e making it look almost swept back.

Edited by Bob Bertram
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J D 8 said:

Could it be a Flair Fledgling ? It had a tapered wing with swept back leading edge.

The fuselage certain looks like a Flair, but the tail feathers don’t look quite right for the Fledgling.

image.jpeg.3ab00158fc2138783c9d3e123d23fac0.jpeg

Didn’t they do another one called a Gosling? Maybe it’s one of them, can’t seem to find a photo of that one online though…

JD and Matty, It certainly looks like the Fledgling from the fuselage and wing. There has been some work done where the tail feathers attach to the fuselage which has not been done that well so perhaps they were damaged and the bits were used from another model. Thanks everyone for your help.

Isn't it usual to have the c of g about a third back from the leading edge ?

Nose heavy it will fly but not very well.

Tail heavy it will fly once !

That's the rule of thumb.

Will do some research about the model this evening but the fuzzy looks very much like a sas skitsue ( spelling probably wrong ).

59 minutes ago, John Lee said:

Back in the 70's & 80's there were numerous cottage industry kit producers, many of which made generic models of this sort. My best guess would be the Bowman Simple Soarerman.

Could be, it does look fairly similar...

image.png.f50b48713f702e0770c7d741687044ee.png

Edited by MattyB

Rich, the fuselage length to the base at the rear of the fin, (i.e. where the stern post would be), is 90cm, from tip of nose the max length of fuzz is 99cm.

John and Matty, the S.Soarman looks to have an almost parallel chord wing and not tapered. Could be the photo as I just took this and the top half looks parallel and the bottom shows the taper!!! Weird

IMG_20220203_122528.jpg

Just come down from loft, liberated balsa and ply off cuts for my model room...

There's a middle phase up there, they came either r +e or e +a.....about the same span but not checked wings. The fuz is thin ply, liteply being veneer/balsa/ veneer if I remember rightly.

Lunch, then will measure skitsue...

Sas are in business again !

Hope they re kit skitsue !

Wing, straight trailing edge, leaning against the wall ?

• 3 weeks later...

Not a Super Snipe, that was 79" span and the rudder hinge line was behind the elevator. 

Much closer to the Soarman above, but not 100% sure. It's definitely familiar though, I am sure it's a USA kit, possibly Dynaflite or HOB. That said, it could be a Bitza or a homebrew. 

Looks a little bit like a GP Spectra with a different wing. 

Edited by Matt Carlton