Looking for Mercedes D111 std file

Al Knights

Al

You are aware these flies create quite a big engine over 200 mm long. According to CURA just the "Cylinders_Front_Left" takes 6 hours to print. 

I have only been able to scale it down by 50%. The same part still takes over an hour to print. Not tried to actually print it yet. 

Edited by Simon Chaddock

Al

The answer is it does not really work at all well.

The stl files have a pretty thin wall already to save weight. If you scale it down by 50% the wall thickness is now so thin that the slicer simply ignores bits of it. Where it does manage you have to use a thin print line (0.25mm). Even at 50% scale the D111 would be about 120 mm (5") long

The result, at least on CURA, is far from satisfactory.

Even for the scaled down front left cylinder CURA calculated well over an hour to print.

This is the result.

HalfCylPrintC.JPG.ec387d0fe610108db149673979a0a292.JPG

With as much of the support removed as possible it is  quite light at 2.8 g but the quality leaves much to be desired.

If I was going to do a Mercedes D111 at small scale (which I am not!) I would do it differently with many 'simple to print' parts glued together, like a plastic kit.

This is what I did on my the 9 cylinder for my AN2.

ASh-62.JPG.fede50eb5e6153a17e3a908569479ca2.JPG

Just !00mm diameter but it consists of 56 parts. Even more when you add the carburettor, inlet and exhaust rings.  

Some settings - print with 2 walls, and in advanced "do not ignore thin walls".  What nozzle are you using to get 0.25mm lines?  Also, when it's so far up front, surely a bit of weight isn't an issue (we're still taking grams).

I double checked - it's in "shell" - print thin walls.

Edited by Andy Meade

WP_20220204_13_30_50_Pro.thumb.jpg.d5c4bb9560df1eff592dc79cde20479d.jpg

Although not a Mercedes engine i have printed a B|MW 3a engine for a Fokker V29, If i were to do it again I would make the rockers much narrower. I have only printed the top of the engine. It would not take mech more effort to make a bottom end. The design | (if you stretch the term) is not difficult, as I have only just started using Fusion.  i am now working through a Autocad Fusion tutorial, so as to better get more out of it.

I have been looking for something better to have as a dummy engine in my Flair Taube and although this is not the right engine it looks the part. I loaded the 4 cylinder files into Cura, selected all the 4 files then right clicked and chose "Merge Models". Cura works out the shapes of the flat surfaces and groups the models together and forms them into a single model. However, it does not form them into a single entity, so when it slices, the cylinders are still printed as 2 semi circles rather than a single circle, but at least the join line fuses together. On the completed pictures below you can see a join line on the rocker shaft between cylinders 3 and 4. I then added the inlet headers and lined them up as it would not merge automatically. There is another engine file on Thingiverse, a D1, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2972050, this is a very large file, but I downloaded it and use Microsoft 3D Builder to just leave me the exhaust. This was imported into Cura, scaled to fit and lined up, but as this sits in the air I had to turn off the option to automatically sit models on the build plate when lining it up. All components were then grouped together and the grouped engine scaled down to 55% to fit my Taube and printed with eSun PLA+ using fairly standard settings, I used supports from the bed but not any from the model itself so I got some drooping on the underside of a few flat surfaces. By printing the cylinders vertically you avoid the problems with thin surfaces as seen above. I have an AnyCubic MegaS, I have an upgraded cooling duct which helps with some of these complex shapes with overhangs. Printed with a single 0.4mm wall on the cylinders. The exhaust was solid so that has more wall layers plus infill.

1683812965_DSD00117(Large).thumb.JPG.6a81fe367be3d718f1aed72ae1e89100.JPG

DSD00118 (Large).JPG

Cura view of merged and grouped models

Cura.JPG

The Mercedes D1 engine file

D1.thumb.JPG.1724bdc11ca6fd66f2bfe98d10fea6a7.JPG

DSD00107 (Large).JPG

DSD00108 (Large).JPG

DSD00110 (Large).JPG

DSD00113 (Large).JPG

DSD00115 (Large).JPG

Edited by PeterF
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, Andy Meade said:

Great work, though I'd try reducing the layer height somewhat to get rid of those steps on the cylinders ?

Yes, I printed at 0.2mm for 7 hours, I baulked at going down to 0.125mm and a 12 hour print, but it would be worth it.

Edited by PeterF

Yes, I can see I have a lot to learn and understand, in this case with respect to Cura.

A few days back I printed out the linked file, using the standard settings of Cura. Then again Have I cocked things up with my previous settings, adding a printing skirt? I was disappointed, as the print detail and surface quality is pretty much the same as my own BMW design, facsimile.

I do realise that the download is not a Mercedes or BMW. I now know this as both used a overhead cam, with the rockers being indirect. They use a "Z" or "S" shaped rocker arm. The actual rocker boxes are displaced to one side of the centre line of the piston cylinder. The cam follower in the BMW is via a roller, rather than a sliding face.

I could not find the pipes which supply the coolant to the interspace of the steel tubes making up outer and inner of the cylinder bores. I assume that supply is much lower, than is visible in an installation.

I really would like a discussion on how to improve detail at the printing stage and surface finish (as my print is the same as my own design).

WP_20220305_14_42_12_Pro.jpg

As a follow up, and I know it is not exactly the right engine for an Etrich Taube, but it looks a darn sight better than the bits of electric conduit tubing with end plugs that I previously had for cylinders. The whole Flair Taube is definitely stand off scale so I am more than happy with the result. I would not have done this had I not seen this thread.

Before the makeover

1343834872_DSC04022(Custom).thumb.JPG.4a8f48c2b5a36b6e5513c041ebe031a4.JPG

After the makeover

1461416509_DSD00169(Custom).thumb.JPG.3f434c5b6a2ce377eecbe2549d81b524.JPG

655907473_DSD00171(Custom).thumb.JPG.06e13a867cff8d11b21a511e073f9404.JPG

1679324590_DSD00174(Custom).thumb.JPG.9077300ae05c084d7309ec921da8ddcc.JPG

Edited by PeterF
  • Like 2

Not that it matters, I think that the Taube used a 4 cyl engine.

The real positive is that the printed motor does look much better.

I am tempted to modify my own design and print file  to include the rocker and spring (rather than just sticking on some plastic sheet).

I do not know how to do it, although it seems that somewhere, perhaps on this site, it would be a useful for there to be a collection of files for the typical bits of facsimile engines we typically use, Mercedes, BMW, the various rotaries, whirlwinds, RR Merlin, Jumo and Mercedes exhaust stacks etc. With my limited knowledge, I have no idea if it can be done, or if RCM&E have made the facility available already. With a modest charge, it could be financially viable?

Ahh, yes, then there are WW1 type wheels, guns etc. What about pilot figures? I will now stop thinking.

Edited by Erfolg

11 hours ago, Erfolg said:

Not that it matters, I think that the Taube used a 4 cyl engine.

The real positive is that the printed motor does look much better.

Early Tauben came with 4 cylinder engines but the majority used 6 cylinder engines including the Etrich D2 mine is based on, although this had 6 individual exhaust stacks rather than the combined one I printed. There were even some rotary engine versions. There was no one Taube design, Etrich's patent was refused in Germany and many companies copied the design and offered their own versions. It is a fascinating period of aircraft development.