Interesting BMFA updates from Full Council, Sept 19th 2022

MattyB

Clarifying point - These are not official minutes, they are an informal summary provided by our local area rep. If you want the full minutes, please approach your Area Sec for details, as I understand they should be available in due course.

Just got an interesting update through from our local area rep - it looks like Chacksfield House is set to go, with some of the funds reinvested in the National Centre and jobs moving across there too. The Articles of Association are also under revision and should be ready for approval at the AGM, and inflation has also been biting at the BMFA as it has everywhere else. Subs increases have been limited to £2 per annum though, mainly by reducing the number of editions of the BMFA News.

Key extracts from his update below...

Hon. Treasurer

...d) Membership fees for 2023-24. Subject to approval at the AGM, the headline figure is an increase in senior and junior memberships of £2.00 each, bringing these to £42 and £20 respectively. The increases are due to rising inflation, and the Treasurer noted that the budget for 2023-24 had been ‘challenging’, indeed the initial estimated increase had been £4, prior to a pruning exercise conducted by the exec. The inflationary increase has been compounded by an increase in business rates for Buckminster (ironically a consequence of improving the facilities!) and an increase of £11k in our insurance premium. Unfortunately, it has only been possible to keep the increase at £2 by drastically cutting the budget for BMFA News. This will almost certainly require a reduction in the number of issues from 6 to 4 per year. There was much concern and discussion over this amongst the delegates, but ultimately there was agreement that this was preferable to increasing the membership fees above the £2 figure.

Strategic and Topical matters

...c) The Chairman gave a detailed presentation on the revision of the Articles of Association. The revision isn’t yet complete, but the intention is that this will be done by the end of September and then sent to the Hon. Solicitor for review. The intention is to be able to make a formal proposal for the AGM.

CEO’s Report
This report included the two main proposals considered by the meeting. These were to authorise the Executive to progress the sale of Chacksfield House, and also to progress the development of the Cafe’ / multi-purpose space at Buckminster. There are two important points here; the development at Buckminster would be initially funded from the development /reserve fund, until the sale of Chacksfield House was completed, when monies from the sale would be used to replace that used from the reserve fund. We have significant reserves and the estimated maximum cost for the work at Buckminster is £90k. Secondly, the development of Cafe’ / multi-purpose space at Buckminster would create office accommodation for staff who may re-locate from Chacksfield House, basically, it’s not just a Cafe’. Both proposals were adopted unanimously.

Edited by MattyB
  • Thanks 3

• MattyB changed the title to Interesting BMFA updates from Full Council, Sept 19th 2022
Advert

Two other nuggets I also just noticed... There were some interesting insights into how the BMFA reporting tool is being used vs. the number of reportable incidents to the AAIB (which apparently stands at 70), and a rather gloomy update for any of you looking forward to a future Nats at Barkston...

Vice Chairman’s report
a) The Vice Chairman presented several reports and summaries of the latest round of reported incidents. The bulk of the incidents involve operation beyond visual line of sight, and the bulk of these were caused by loss of sight and or orientation, generally within visual line of sight ! i.e. they are mostly pilot error.
The Club Support Officer noted that since the system was introduced, there had been approximately 70 reportable incidents. However, he also noted that there had been approximately 700 entries into the on-line form, which essentially acts as a triage mechanism, and hence only 70 of the 700 had need formal reporting to the AAIB. This would suggest that members are embracing the system in the ‘no blame’ manner intended.

Next Year’s Major Events

After listening to the reports of the successful individual national championships held by the various disciplines (quite a few of which were held at Buckminster) and the fact that our last Nats at Barkston had, despite good weather, made a significant loss (£12k!) my gut feeling is that the old style Nats at Barkston is now a thing of the past... In addition, the station commander at Barkston Heath has said that they can’t afford the effort it would take to make the site available to us anymore.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, extra slim said:

Thanks for sharing these with us Matt and taking the time to digest and publish the high/low lights. Saves us all a few hours!!.

No big deal @extra slim, the above are just a reproduction of notes sent to me by our Area Sec, I did not attend the meeting in person or make them myself. I just thought many would be interested to see what are potentially relatively significant changes that are coming down the pipe...

The saddest part is the realisation of what I've suspected for some time  - that the nationals at Barkston have ended.  Always a great weekend - even the one recently when it was freezing cold and windy on the Sunday (the rain held off until after the outdoor swap meet at least).  Buckminster is an excellent site but no match for Barkston for a big all encompassing event.

38 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

The saddest part is the realisation of what I've suspected for some time  - that the nationals at Barkston have ended.  Always a great weekend - even the one recently when it was freezing cold and windy on the Sunday (the rain held off until after the outdoor swap meet at least).  Buckminster is an excellent site but no match for Barkston for a big all encompassing event.

Geoff

It is by no means certain that the Nats at Barkston have ended. The part about the Nats has been somewhat misinterpreted. The part that states

In addition, the station commander at Barkston Heath has said that they can’t afford the effort it would take to make the site available to us anymore.

Is incorrect. Also the Station Commander at Cranwell (in charge of Barkston) changes every couple of years.

There are a number of considerable challenges to overcome, but we haven't given up hope.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

Geoff

It is by no means certain that the Nats at Barkston have ended. The part about the Nats has been somewhat misinterpreted. The part that states

In addition, the station commander at Barkston Heath has said that they can’t afford the effort it would take to make the site available to us anymore.

Is incorrect. Also the Station Commander at Cranwell (in charge of Barkston) changes every couple of years.

There are a number of considerable challenges to overcome, but we haven't given up hope.

Hope, as is said, springs eternal.  I sincerely hope you're right.

@John Stones.   Whilst I usually walked, I also cycled round and a lot drove.  There's a lot of space at Barkston

14 hours ago, i12fly said:

One potential nasty as I can see is if the lease on Buckminster is terminated. If I remember right, it was for 10 years, then an option to buy? So what happens then? The value of the site will be much higher then due to all the works being carried out.

Lease is 35 years with an option to renew.

• Like 3