Help with laptop specs please

Gary Murphy 1

I need to replace a laptop ,mine as nearly had it,bought in 2015.

But after going to PC world the laptop section and choice is really bad,as well as the help.

There is a second hand outlet with good warrenty i might try BUT i have no real idea of specs now.

The laptop i have is performance wise ok for my use,I only run Heli-x and accurc on it,it looks ok and never freezes while playing.

The cpu is a i7 5500u gen5 2.40ghz  2.40ghz. 8gb mem and intergarted graphics hd5500.

I can just the amount of memory, and Disc space and screen size,mine is 15.6.

Its just the CPU and grahics i need to know what to look for,i do not want less performance.

any info would be great.

Look at the AMD ryzen powered machines as these give intel a heard time these days. 

I recommend to give CCL computers a call. They have helpful staff in my experience and i have had good service from them in the past. 

The only thing that is really important is you choose a laptop with an SSD and not a mechanical hard drive as SSD's are so much faster. In fact, you might even be able to plop and SSD in your current machine and see a significant uplift in performance. 

What is wrong with your current one by the way? its possible a clean install of windows and an upgrade to an SSD would transform the performance. 

7 hours ago, John Tee said:

Try going to HP.com. Buy direct.

John

I would avoid HP, Dell etc as they offer woeful service and usually con you into buying stuff you dont need. 

A tech youtube channel i follow do secret shopper type content and these brands do really badly

I would agree in avoiding Dell. My 18 month old Dell (employer issued) had its SSD hard drive fail and it was cheaper to buy a new laptop than have it repaired. It also reported a failing battery at 12 months old.

Personally my partner and I have now had 5 Acers over the years and have found them utterly reliable. Can't comment on after sales backup as we have never needed it!

If you buy from John Lewis you get the added bonus of an extra years warranty free.

13 hours ago, Gary Murphy 1 said:

I need to replace a laptop ,mine as nearly had it,bought in 2015.

The cpu is a i7 5500u gen5 2.40ghz  2.40ghz. 8gb mem and integrated graphics hd5500.

That is a modern laptop. What do you want to do with it? The latest "out the door" from here with a new operating system was a 2008 HP. Perfect for what the owner was going to do with it. Boot time from totally OFF, 40 seconds.

Installing a new system, about 8 minutes and about the same or less for the latest updates.

The 2 laptops we personally use are 2015, ASUS T200 with only 2GB of memory and a Lenevo with 4GB of RAM.

7 hours ago, Robert Cracknell said:

I would agree in avoiding Dell. My 18 month old Dell (employer issued) had its SSD hard drive fail and it was cheaper to buy a new laptop than have it repaired. It also reported a failing battery at 12 months old.

Personally my partner and I have now had 5 Acers over the years and have found them utterly reliable. Can't comment on after sales backup as we have never needed it!

If you buy from John Lewis you get the added bonus of an extra years warranty free.

You obviously don't follow NorthridgeFix YT channel then.  Acers appear quite prominently in the 'dead for no reason' category, usually shorted i/p power FETs ....although  I've also had an Acer for years but it's not really a good recommendation as I also haven't used it for years. 

Thanks for the info so far.

I forgot to add that it would be a windows machine.

Mine has several faults,lid is faulty,certain angles of opening give no picture or sound and now battery as failed.not worth repairing.

i would like to of kept around £600, the lenovo z51-70 i have now was much dearer new. it has dvd drive and 1TB ssd,dont really need both them this time.

There is a shop near by that as branches over the country that sell ,refurbed. When looking i thought they were brand new!

guy was not great at telling me what the equivilent of mine was roughly.only to spend as much as i can offord .

I perhaps might like to go seperate graphics this tiime,so i can turn more FPS up

buying on-line is good but like said you need to know what you need.

so 2 questions then please, what would be a good graphics card (not dedicated) at the lower end to run say accurc at lower fps, i get 60 i think with dedicated.

And CPU i have intel i7 5500u 2.40ghz, i would need same grunt or higher sligtly. 

I do not design of office work,most strain is the couple flight sims. not used turned way up.

11 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I would avoid HP, Dell etc as they offer woeful service and usually con you into buying stuff you dont need. 

A tech youtube channel i follow do secret shopper type content and these brands do really badly

Used HP for many years now and haven't had any problems. My latest is solid aluminium not plastic so you do get what you pay for. Had to update drivers as you do anyway. Speedy service for toners and inks and not too expensive relatively. Only down side they are putting dating chips in toners and inks but never had one stop on me yet, I do a fair bit of printing though.

John