ST Main Needle

Andy J

Wondering if I have the skills to manufacture a main needle for an ST carb used on a Laser 75. First hurdle is that the thread is very fine possible BA but a couple of nuts I tried did not seem correct. So does anyone know what threading was used on this carb.

Second problem is what angle is recommend for the chamfer and over what length.

Advert

Not my field of expertise, but I seem to recall that ST used some imperial threads. IIRC, the rear crankcase cover screws were a BSF thread, so its possible the needle valves were similar.

I'm sure Engine Doctor will be along shortly with more info.

I think Motors & Rotors sold off all the ST spares to an ebay seller, and its possible they may be able to point you towards a supplier. Also, have you actually spoken to Laser? They may have some spares.

--

Pete

Did send Gavin an email via ebay several days ago but yet to see a reply.

When I get the chance will see if the broken part of the needle with the thread looks similar to a BSF reference sheet of sizes.  Trouble is that my eyesight is not good these days.

Hello Andy . Sorry cant help with the thread fir ST needle. The thread is very fine though and I don't think it's a BSF thread. Check on spectre engine test s . If your eng8ne is on there it might tell you the thread ? 

Jon will undoubtedly know what thread is used .

The last Laser I had with an old style ST carb I ditched the carb and fitted  a later SC  FS carb . Ran very well and plenty of second hand SC stuff still about. Just check the spigot size.

You may still find a ST needle on ebay or in the classifieds on here or yhe BMFA.

• 2 weeks later...

Measured up the broken part of the needle today and found there was 4 threads over 1/16 of an inch which equates to 64/inch. Diameter was 0.084 inch.

Comparing this on a couple of sites would suggest the ST needle thread is a No 2 UNF thread.

According to this site dedicated to control line models, the ST needle thread is 2.3mm x 0.4mm metric.

http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?printertopic=1&t=4947&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=aecebbd92758056b5c7f8f3ec2d6fca3

Good dies not cheap, but available here...

https://www.tap-die.com/contents/en-uk/p620_2.3x.4mm_dies.html

Cheapo versions available from Amazon etc.

One die will last a lifetime of needles though.

Brian.

11 hours ago, David Ovenden said:

If the ST carb and needle valve were designed and made in Italy I would have thought it would be a metric thread.  But that's just conjecture on my part.

From your measurements maybe 2mm x 0.4 pitch??

There are some Imperial threads on STs. IIRC the backplate screws are BSF!

--

Pete

Once you find the correct thread try Tracy Tools They are excellent to deal with and sell Taps and dies at prices and quality to suit your needs .

Engine manufacturers often used odd sized screws etc as that can buy large quantities at a low price; or more likely you have to buy spares from them  OS used 2.2mm screws on the small  LA engines and I think on the earlier small FP engines for cyl head and backplate .  Still available but a bugger to find if you dont want to pay stupid OS spares price .

Edited by Engine Doctor

16 hours ago, RottenRow said:

According to this site dedicated to control line models, the ST needle thread is 2.3mm x 0.4mm metric.

http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?printertopic=1&t=4947&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=aecebbd92758056b5c7f8f3ec2d6fca3

Just measured the needle again in metric and its 2.12mm so quite a bit shy of the 2.3mm Brian.  

16 hours ago, RottenRow said:

Well if anyone has a spare M2.3 bolt they can send me, happy to try it on the pinch nut that sits on the top of the carb.

Went through my box of metric & BA screws and nothing comes close.

Just by chance I found that I had an M2.2 die and tried to thread it onto the broken needle. Certainly it appeared to accept the threading but after half a turn if locked up so it could well be an M2.3.

Edited by Andy Joyce

2 hours ago, Andy Joyce said:

Just measured the needle again in metric and its 2.12mm so quite a bit shy of the 2.3mm Brian. 

Hi Andy,

An external (male) thread will measure a bit less than the specified size (called the major diameter), this is to ensure clearance between the peak of the male thread and the internal (female) thread. Also your needle thread may be a little worn.

Is your M2.2 die 0.4mm pitch (or is it 0.45mm)? If the latter then it would jam on the existing thread.

Very unlikely to find an M2.3 bolt (x0.4), unfortunately.

I have just measured the needle on my almost unused ST X45 and it measures 2.28mm o/d x 0.4mm pitch (ten threads in 4mm). Picture shows this measurement.

1961597050_STneedle.jpg.86b439e6c00e3bfc03fc66f7c97c7759.jpg

The part number on the back of the packet of a new spare needle that I have for that engine is 2260353.

Hope that helps.....

Brian.

2 minutes ago, Andy Joyce said:

Will a steel knitting needle be prone to rusting?

I should have noted Andy

These needles are Stainless Steel.

Most needles are some form of steel, and operate in an oily atmosphere, which aids longevity.

This suggestion was made to bypass the difficulty of constructing the needle taper.

Just trying to help.