Flying with varifocals

Having succumbed to improving my long sight, I have been prescribed with varifocals based on my requirements (including tinted lenses). My long sight is not bad but for driving something was required. I think I may need some "over sun glasses" as the tint is not enough for looking at the sky. Anybody offer any advice who is confronted with this problem?

Last time I had my varifocal glasses replaced I also got a pair of varifocal sunglasses, expensive, yes but as I tend to wear shades as soon as the sun comes out, well worth it. The only downside is that being one tint colour they are not the best for all sky conditions.

• Like 2

Thanks, gents for your input. Mine are supposed to react to UV light, but I am not convinced they will be enough. Time will tell on my next flying session. I have just lashed out £550 on the pair of super/duper varifocals that react to UV light therefore I didn't really want to pay out for sunglasses to the same prescription. I think I will have to experiment before I go to the top of the expense tree with extras.  Once again thanks for the help. 😀

I have recently got a new set of varifocal glasses. We call them progressive lenses down here. This new set has a tiny bit of metal in each lense near the top on the outer edge and the clip-ons for sun glasses snap on with magnets. I use amber for the sun. Hadn't thought of getting a second yellow tinted set for grey cloud which at times can be quite tricky. Thanks for the suggestion Shaun. 

My optician procured lens with the darkest variable tint available on my varifocal glasses (not all tints are the same), plus mentioned that they do age (older lens tint less in bright light, but become more temperature dependent. The bad news is that its more tint the colder the ambient air so not much use on bright sunny days!

I use these overglasses with grey lenses - but I do not wear varifocal, just long distance glasses ............ linky....... https://www.ravenspring.co.uk/zurich-sunglasses/zurich-sports-sunglasses-dark-density-teal-sunglasses-dark-teal-zurich-international

Edited by maurice northcott
Lens colour added.