2023 fees

Cuban8

I did the CAA test rather than the BMFA test.  Couple of questions.

1. I assumed that meant that I have to pay the £10 CAA membership direct to the CAA so I didn’t select it when ordering my BMFA membership.  But on reflection I think I was mistaken and I could have added it.  Is there anyway to pay it from the BMFA portal now that my BMFA membership renewal has been processed - there doesn’t seem to be.  If not, anyone know what happens next, I assume that in March I will be contacted by the CAA to pay them directly.
  2. As I have done the Flyer ID test direct with the CAA is there any way to add that ‘achievement’ to my online BMFA profile.

Bonus question

My BMFA membership is renewed, I can see that in my online account.  What I can’t see is any way to download the insurance certificate.  Has that option been removed, am I not looking hard enough, or is it that it will appear later.

Advert

9 minutes ago, Nigel Heather said:

<SNIP>

Maybe it is the same with the CAA, there is a little ‘add to order’ checkbox that you missed.

When I renewed by phone I explained the problem I'd had and was told that because my CAA renewal date wasn't until early 2023 I'd have to do it then. However the website allowed me to select the option and add it to the cart. Seems to be a basic functionality issue with the website as it clearly does a check between making the selection and the payment screens, so could be implemented at the selection stage to make the option unselectable and explain why.

32 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

When I renewed by phone I explained the problem I'd had and was told that because my CAA renewal date wasn't until early 2023 I'd have to do it then. However the website allowed me to select the option and add it to the cart. Seems to be a basic functionality issue with the website as it clearly does a check between making the selection and the payment screens, so could be implemented at the selection stage to make the option unselectable and explain why.

I think most of our CAA memberships run from 1st March.  This is because when it was first released BMFA members got a special dispensation of an extra two months to arrange registration.

So each year up to now I have paid my CAA fees in December even though the membership doesn’t start until 1st March.

I had that option to pay for the CAA membership yesterday when I renewed my BMFA membership but mistakenly I assumed that only applied if you were using the BMFA test - I suspect I was wrong and I could have paid for my CAA through BMFA yesterday.  But because I didn’t it appears that option is no longer available - it seems that you get one chance - when you renew the BMFA fees.

Cheers,

Nigel

1 hour ago, Nigel Heather said:

My BMFA membership is renewed, I can see that in my online account.  What I can’t see is any way to download the insurance certificate.  Has that option been removed, am I not looking hard enough, or is it that it will appear later.

Comes attached to your renewal confirmation email but is also available here:

image.thumb.png.13a9b2efdce70710c72882613f5660ed.png

The same situation with the 28 day cut-off not allowing renewal of the CAA fee at the same time as the BMFA subs occurred 12 months ago. The BMFA then changed the 28 days to 90 days and all was well.

It looks like the same needs to be done again.

Refer to this old thread for more information:

...I see that CAA registrations paid via the BMFA must be made no earlier than 28 days before their expiry date. I have around 90 members' renewals to deal with who all paid their CAA via the club at BMFA renewal time the last year - hence 85 all have the same expiry date of within a few days of...

Brian.

Yep as club secretary handling all the different CAA renewal dates is a bit of a pain, members just want to make one payment and forget about it until next year. As club sec we don't get any notice of when members CAA expires, so I rely on them getting in touch when they've had an e-mail from the CAA (that is if they haven't ignored it). It is a bit of a mess and I can see why some clubs have made in the members responsibility to do their own BMFA/CAA. 

Question was asked at this years AGM of what the benefits of the CAA registration, we couldn't give any, except that you need one to be able to fly legally.

23 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Yep as club secretary handling all the different CAA renewal dates is a bit of a pain, members just want to make one payment and forget about it until next year. As club sec we don't get any notice of when members CAA expires, so I rely on them getting in touch when they've had an e-mail from the CAA (that is if they haven't ignored it). It is a bit of a mess and I can see why some clubs have made in the members responsibility to do their own BMFA/CAA. 

Question was asked at this years AGM of what the benefits of the CAA registration, we couldn't give any, except that you need one to be able to fly legally.

CAA expiry is available to view on individual members' profiles and on the bulk renewal page. Most of our club members caa expires in February, so I simply do another bulk renew at that time. They've already paid in December. Very easy - fifteen minutes work at most.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

CAA expiry is available to view on individual members' profiles and on the bulk renewal page. Most of our club members caa expires in February, so I simply do another bulk renew at that time. They've already paid in December. Very easy - fifteen minutes work at most.

Yep, agree that works well for 60% of our members, but we have had some new members that have joined part way through the year and others who delayed their re-joining when the system was first introduced so have dates spread across the year. And trying to get some of them to set up a BMFA login and account so they can administer it themselves ................................................ We've only got 30 or so members, so it's only a handful I have to keep track of, but in a larger club................

2 hours ago, Frank Skilbeck said:

Yep, agree that works well for 60% of our members, but we have had some new members that have joined part way through the year and others who delayed their re-joining when the system was first introduced so have dates spread across the year. And trying to get some of them to set up a BMFA login and account so they can administer it themselves ................................................ We've only got 30 or so members, so it's only a handful I have to keep track of, but in a larger club................

That is a problem for you Frank, but manageable within a smaller club.

On 11/12/2022 at 10:22, Frank Skilbeck said:

The answer should have been obvious. There are none. It is a legal obligation. the payment for it is a contribution towards the CAA costs for regulating it.